Who's not buying a new MBP because Apple use Nvidia?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by HiFiGuy528, Dec 10, 2008.

?

Are you holding out?

Poll closed Jan 9, 2009.
  1. yes, I will buy one because I trust that Apple will fix the issues

39 vote(s)
    72.2%
  2. No, I woun't buy one until Apple use another vendor

10 vote(s)
    18.5%
  3. I bought one and now I regret it.

5 vote(s)
    9.3%
  1. HiFiGuy528 macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

After the last version of MBPs with Nvidia problems I was not happy that Apple use Nvidia again on the new MBP. Now reading more bad news about Nvidia chips on the new MBP, again. I may hold out till Apple use another vendor. Are you holding out too?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Are there really problems, or are people just stirring up trouble again?

Did you buy anti-virus software when that year-old support document showed up on news sites?

3. HiFiGuy528 thread starter macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

It took Apple a long time to admit there was a problem with the last MBP. More like at the end of life cycle. I don't think we will hear anything from Apple regarding the recent findings on the new MBP.

4. Thunder82 macrumors 6502

What.. the new findings by the inquirer??? rofl. Give me a break with this..

The new Nvidia chipsets are better than anything else currently on the market.

5. Thunder82 macrumors 6502

Also, wheres the poll option for "bought one and love it"?

6. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

That's what I was wondering. It looks like this poll is going to be one-sided.

7. darwinian macrumors 6502a

darwinian

Another vote for have one and no problems so far. Until my system and all others around it spontaneously die, it's FUD as far as I'm concerned. I could be in the minority, too.

8. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

same here :)

9. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

I picked "yes, I will buy one because I trust that Apple will fix the issues".

In all fairness though there really should have been a "I bought one because they're awesome and the recent stories about problems with the new NVidia chipsets are a lot of nonsense stirred up by people who have too much time on their hands. Until there is actually proven evidence of a problem then I'll just assume everything is dandy and I'll continue to use my fantasticly superbly awesome MacBook Pro"

Saying that, they probably don't let you have poll options that long...

10. Manzana macrumors 6502a

Manzana

11. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Werent the issues with nvidia..you know, nvidia's fault?

THEY were the ones that took forever to admit there was a problem. Then when they did at first they said it was a small problem. THEN it comes to light they had vastly under reported the problem.

Regardless, its a DIFFERENT chip now, so why would you not use it? As far as im aware theres been little to no reported problems with it (other than the occasional lemon).

12. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

Sigh...

I love it how, as soon as there's any story about a theoretical fault with an Apple product (particularly in this case since it's the Inquirer we're talking about), everyone immediately jumps on the bandwagon, assumes every Apple product is faulty and thinks the world is about to end.

13. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

I bought one but im not too thrilled. Apple's notebook line continues to frustrate and annoy. I know remember why i got an iMac back then. My next purchase will most likely NOT be an Apple notebook but rather a netbook and an Apple desktop

Its always something...

14. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

What problems are you having with the Glassbook pro?:confused:

15. six.four macrumors 6502

your poll is confusing and incorrectly worded:

saying "yes" would infer that you are holding out - which is contrary to the adjoined statement.

it should say
    and obviously the same would go vice versa for your other option.

16. bassproguy07 macrumors 6502a

bassproguy07

what about for those who bought one and dont regret it? EDIT PLEASE! I VOTED YES I will buy one because I do trust that it will be fixed

17. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Not GlassBook Pro..previous gen MBP and i've had to have the logic board replaced because the card was failing. Now the question is why buy something thats documented to have issues...well Apple said 'some' models so i thought maybe i'd get lucky. That didn't happen. Even after the replacement my screen still goes weird occasionally leading me to believe that my card may fail again

I also owned a GlassBook before going for the MBP and that had slanted keys, wonkey/loose battery cover but what completely put me off was the horrible screen

Who knows 'maybe' if i eventually got around to putting in 4GB o RAM in it i would've had problems. Thanks to Nvidia's lovely chipset but maybe the new EFI updates will sort that out

Suffice it to say i regret selling my 12" PowerBook/iMac combo setup and wish i didn't have to...but do due to educational requirements.

18. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Never can tell when you'll pick up a year old virus...

19. kelvin805 macrumors newbie

I've bought one, I love it, haven't seen any problems with the chips. I honestly love it because it's better than anything else out on the market right now.

20. Beau10 macrumors 6502a

I don't know much about the history of Nvidia and the Enquire, from what I gather the Enquire (esp. that Charlie guy) has some sort of big axe to grind with them. At least that's what a lot of people seem to say (in the face of news they probably would rather not hear).

But they took an off the shelf unibody Macbook, cut the GPU open, analyzed its substrate under an electron microscope, found out it contains approx. 95% lead. Which is the original issue, yeah?

How is this not proof? Seriously folks, enlighten me.

21. darwinian macrumors 6502a

darwinian

There are at least 3 things at stake for me here:
    a) I haven't experienced any problems yet
    b) Apple took care of my last MBP problem with the video out of warranty for free
    c) In the report, n=1. Oh, and I don't know enough about the lead to tin ratio issue.

22. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

The evidence is irrefutable. But people don't want to believe they just spent $$$$/££££ on a machine thats defective and so will believe the next best thing- Not all machines are affected and/or Inq is not a credible source.

Simple human psychology

23. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Well im pretty sure (call me a defendant fanboy if you want, i just get my info from tech sites like you guys) that nvidia was the one that didnt fully disclose the known (by them) problems or how widespread it was, until that clusterfack of an announcement where they basically said every single one was bad. Im pretty sure they didnt even disclose to the companies they sold to until that announcement.

Frankly the only good thing to come of it is that theres much more certainty that nvidia isnt going to let an entire line be faulty like that again and will test for such silly problems (it all came down to the thermal paste not being applied properly if memory serves me).

I havnt heard any issues with the NEW cards tho, other than the occasion DOA lemon of course.

24. AlexH macrumors 68000

AlexH

Where's the "I bought one and I'm satisfied option"? That's me. :rolleyes:

25. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

fully satisfied with your purchase?!

man i hate these fanboys....

:rolleyes: