Who's planning on jailbreaking their iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Goldinboy17, Jul 18, 2010.

?

Will you Jailbreak your iPhone 4?

1. Yes.

100 vote(s)
    68.5%
  2. No.

18 vote(s)
    12.3%
  3. Undecided.

28 vote(s)
    19.2%
  1. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

Just got my iPhone 4 replaced today, and was thinking about jailbreaking it (when it's possible to do so for iPhone 4). Was reading their disclaimer at the Genius bar how modifying your phones software voids the warranty. Now I'm a little worried about doing so. But 3G Unrestrictor + YouTube/Facetime/Skype = Too hard to resist. What do you all plan on doing?

2. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

I will be as soon as it's released.

And the only way jailbreaking voids your warranty is if you take it to them jailbroken. Up until now, they have had no way of identifying if a phone was previously jailbroken after a restore.

3. SAIRUS macrumors 6502a

3G unrestrictor with unlimited data plan is facetime on the go, really can't resist.

4. Sinfire macrumors regular

I will not be jail breaking. For what I need the phone does everything, and besides, if something does happen to the phone and you can't remove the jailbreak from the phone, then you are screwed.

5. Goldinboy17 thread starter macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

I've been told the Genius can detect traces of a jailbreak. That is, if they do a diagnostics test on the iPhone 4.

Yup, my thoughts exactly. I hope the picture quality will suffice though.

6. farmermac macrumors 6502a

I always had jb phones ( had to was on tmobile)

I like the way the phone works unjb. I'm going to miss quick SMS but that's about it

7. cfernandes macrumors regular

cfernandes

8. mlts22 macrumors 6502a

That is what a DFU restore is for (and if someone found something that kept traces of a JB past a complete wipe, the Dev Team will be definitely putting out warnings).

As for me, I'm undecided if I'm going to bother JB-ing or not. The main reason I'd JB is for full background tasking.

9. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

I find it hard to believe that if you restore a jail broken iPhone in DFU mode that a "Genius" will be able to tell if it was jail broken in the past.

10. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

11. Espo macrumors 6502

Just wondering. Because the ip4 has the a4 processor and 512mb ram, would the device slow down after jailbreaking? My 3G was much slower after JB

12. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

Whoever told you that was blowin' smoke. A restore through iTunes resets it to factory default.

The Nexus One had a hardware switch that could not be reset after rooting (jailbreaking). iPhone has nothing of the sort unless they added it in the latest iteration. If they had I'm sure planetbeing or Dev Team would have discovered it by now.

My 3GS at 256 MB had no issues with slowdowns at all.

13. map1978 macrumors 68020

map1978

Yes of course. Lockscreen info, ssh, making and using great themes.

Can't wait

Phone is fast enough to deal with winterboard

14. moussekateer macrumors 6502a

moussekateer

I honestly wouldn't own an iPhone if I couldn't jailbreak it. I need sbsettings as I'm constantly turning 3G on and off depending on where I am, and I hate the fact the toggle is several menus deep in settings. Also want to remove apps that aren't actually running from the multitasking bar so it isn't several pages long (How did it go again, if you need a task manager you've failed?). Also 3G unrestrictor and SSH is a must. Also I detest Apples notifications method. It's unbelievably annoying. They need to copy Android's implementation, it's perfect. Something like this is perfect.

15. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

The "multitasking bar" is not a task manager. It's a fast app switcher. The apps you see there are not running in the background unless they're using one of the seven multitasking APIs that Apple introduced in their keynote.

I agree with you wholeheartedly on the notifications, though.

16. moussekateer macrumors 6502a

moussekateer

I understand that. I would be fine with it if it just listed apps that implemented fast app switching, that would be useful. Instead it lists every single app you've opened. After a day or two's use it becomes useless as it practically lists every single app I own.

17. The Governor macrumors regular

Most definitely. Why wouldn't you? And don't go citing "My top 10 reasons NOT to jailbreak" on me.

18. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

absodamnlutely, I will be jailbreaking as soon as it's available. I jailbroke my 3GS and loved it; it's been a little tough waiting it out this time. :)

19. Goldinboy17 thread starter macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

Good to know. That makes me only more eager to have it jailbroken now.

20. hipvamore macrumors regular

i remember doing ziphone back in the day for my ipod touch and that was a long long time ago. i think i'm going to do it with my iphone 4 though. sounds so tempting

21. MrNimziki macrumors newbie

MrNimziki

I wasn't sure at first, but I'm pretty sure I will. I've really missed BiteSMS, SBSettings, and Lockscreen Info. I'm also looking forward to getting MyWi since I still have my unlimited plan, and I like the looks of that notifier app. I had my 2G jailbroken and I felt like it was pretty slow...but it was also a 2G. I also went a little nuts with it, I think this time I'll only be installing a few necessary apps.

22. mocque macrumors member

23. amazingdm macrumors 6502

FWIW... Wii owners who have hacked it and restored it were still caught by Nintendo for repairs

24. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

This!

So far I have never owned an iphone that I didn't jailbreak so I figure why start now. Mywi is currently my only real reason to jailbreak, but I am sure I will find other stuff as well, maybe custom sms tones.