Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
Nah, 4,7 is a great compromise between screen size and portability. For everything else there is the iPad.

wacky4alanis

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2009
I had the 6, and then went bigger with the 6s+. I've decided that I liked the size of the 6 better, so I am going back to the smaller phone this fall and giving the 6s+ to my wife.

biracialfamily91

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2015
Queens, NY
My husband and I will stick with the plus model.
My husband though wanted to downgrade but with the battery being terrible on the 4.7 model, he decided to stick with the plus model.
My preference is the plus model always has been always will be. The positives outweigh the negatives.

Suspended
Sep 15, 2012
I've thought about switching, but I bought the 6 Plus around launch time and returned it after 2 days.

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2014
Seems like a lot of people want the 6+ like me, but are unsure about the compromises. I really think the best way to really decide (for me at least) is to just get one and use it. I should know within a week or so if the larger screen is either better for my use, or annoying cause of the size. I'll never be sure unless I own and use a + for a bit.

The.Glorious.Son

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2015
Chicago, IL
Seems like a lot of people want the 6+ like me, but are unsure about the compromises. I really think the best way to really decide (for me at least) is to just get one and use it. I should know within a week or so if the larger screen is either better for my use, or annoying cause of the size. I'll never be sure unless I own and use a + for a bit.
There really is no better way to know for sure than doing just that. 20 people in a row could tell you that they love broccoli, but unless you try it yourself, you cannot truly know how you'd feel about it. I assumed for a long time that by having very large hands and always craving the iphone with the best features.....the plus would easily win out for me. I tried it and it was the exact opposite. Give it a fair shot especially if you are given a 14 day return period. Some know right away while others take some time to adjust/not adjust.

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Me being me I'd be tempted to get the best of the best.
But right now the best of the best wouldn't fit in my pocket and would suck with my lifestyle.
so I'll probably go bottom of the line and go for an SE.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I had the 6, wanted the 6s+ but ultimately ended up with the 6s. I like the compactness of the small screen, but this time around I have definitely decided that I am going to 7+. This time I need the functionality of the bigger screen, especially in law school with reading case after case, I feel like its more of a need than a want this time.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Own a 6, tried the plus size many times at the store, just couldn't bring myself to buying it. Too too huge for me and my requirements. Especially when I hardly ever watch anything on my phone.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
If I get a new MacBook Pro ( not yet released ) and then have to sell my surface 3, I may get the plus to replace my 6s. No need for a tablet in between. Also if the new Apple Watch has a god chip.
iPad optimised apps will still not work on the plus size though. It's not just about the size. It's about usability and the features that come with it.

Reactions: JerTheGeek

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I've been pretty vocal about not getting this next device. I'm still pretty firm on that based on what we know from leaks so far, BUT if the 4.7" gets a 1080p or higher resolution screen I may switch to that. MAY. But probably still not because of the supposed camera differences.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
Friendly reminder below for those who may have forgotten...

https://medium.com/we-are-appcepted...phone-6-1080p-display-b33dac5bbcb6#.iqvlb5k37

Apple has decided to run its biggest iPhone ever at a native resolution of 1242px by 2208px. It’s enough screen estate to show a lot more content than iPhone 5S and iPhone 6. Unfortunately, it is only virtually written on the software side. On the hardware, Apple has to use lower resolution 1080p panel as its physical display representation. Through the downsampling magic, 1242px by 2208px content on iPhone 6+ will be rendered into 1920px by 1080px display at the same 5.5" physical size.

Why didn’t Apple just get it right instead of a compromise? Good question then, but hey, it's nearly 2 years later now. Should this still be a compromise? Given no rumor to the contrary, I have to assume yet another year of compromise is upon us.

I'll probably get the Plus again but only because of the battery and better camera. Lesser performance than its smaller brother shouldn't an issue but is.

erayser

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
San Diego
I'm so used to the 5.5 screen on my 6+ and S7 Edge. But really love the size of my S7 Edge better... just a little bigger than my wife's 6s. I swap my sim once in a while in both phones, but the sim is mostly in my S7 Edge. I'm leaning on the 5.5 iPhone this year... but I've learned to hate the size of the 6+ after using the S7 Edge. The features on the S7 Edge is what I wish the iPhone plus had (5.5 screen but smaller, no side bezel, amoled, fast wireless charge, great battery efficiency, I don't care much about water resistance and expandable storage but it's nice to have). If the iPhone 7 specs and features blows me away... I'll get the plus size. If not, this will be the first non-s iPhone I skipped since the 1st gen iPhone.

orangebluedevil

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2010
So I'm planning on getting the new iPhone this year (whatever it ends up being called).
I currently have a 6, but I've never tried the 5.5 inch size and want to see if the bigger screen would be better for me. I also am interested in the dual camera.
I was wondering how many others are going to be switching sizes this time around. Are you happy with your current size, or will you be switching to the smaller or larger size if you're buying this year, and why?

I had the 6 Plus and have the 6S Plus, I'm going to the non-Plus this year. It's absolutely gorgeous and great when I'm mostly static throughout the day, but when I'm going to lunch, meetings, or any other time I'm sitting down i have to take it out and put it between my legs in my chair.

Reactions: 5105973

Devyn89

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2012
I bought the plus last year and didn't like it at first, then I started to love it for awhile. It still was a bit big and cumbersome to get out of my pocket all the time, so I decided to try an Apple Watch. That was alright for a few weeks, but the watch never felt that comfortable and it didn't solve the phone being a bit unwieldy in the hands. I'm considering ditching the plus for the 4.7" phone this year, I played around with the 6S in store and it seems like the perfect combination of screen size and usability.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.