Who's using the RMBP for graphic design and web dev full time?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by stevelam, Jul 14, 2012.

1. stevelam, Jul 14, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2012

stevelam macrumors 65816

Hobbyists and students need not reply. I'd like to hear from full time professionals with the RMBP.

Has it affected your workflow at all? Assuming you're using the Adobe suite, has it been a hindrance to work with non-retinized software? How about browser testing web sites? With safari being the only one officially 'retinized' (and lets face it, no power users use safari ever except for testing) has it been an issue?

Would love to hear both good and bad points. Obviously specwise the machine is a powerhouse but I can see the retina display being both a boon and a hindrance at the same time right now.

2. bitfidelity macrumors member

Why would any professionals waste their time with one? Nothing in the Adobe suite has been optimized for the high-ppi display and the usable workspace is far too little.

3. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

You don't think think Application developers will fix these issues? :rolleyes:

4. Office Hours, Jul 14, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2012

Office Hours macrumors member

I'm a "creative" at a digital agency. Do a bit of both development and design, with a heavy lean on design. The rMBP is great. Haven't touched my company provided MBP17 in two weeks.

50% of the time I have it set at full native which is amazing. If you have good eyesight, you get used to it and then fall in love with the portable resolution. Otherwise I'm on "best for retina" with coda (which is at least retina ready right now) on one side and other apps on a cinema external. Some of the time I'm in CS6 on the retina display. It's not perfect but I gets the job done.

So why would any professional waste their time with one? You're right, we wouldn't, 'cause we're busy getting **** done with it.

5. bitfidelity macrumors member

What is the purpose of working off a notebook when any good studio should have powerful desktops readily available?

6. sireShonBohn macrumors regular

Who designs on giant 27" screens when 99% of humanity has only seen them in Apple advertisements?

Only the incompetent believe there are rules to what tool you should use to create with.

7. Office Hours macrumors member

Do you work as either a graphic designer or web developer? Or even at a creative/digital/whatever agency/studio/etc? Do you REALLY think you need a desktop for that type of work? Most agencies/studios I know of are either already mostly laptop or moving towards mostly laptops.

8. bitfidelity macrumors member

Yes. Our company uses Mac Pros.

I'm still curious---what is the purpose of using a notebook (assuming there isn't a lot of travel involved)?

9. driftless macrumors demi-god

driftless

I use the full suite of Adobe CS plus Aperture. Last time I made the iMac vs. MBP I went maxed out iMac. While I am waiting for the iMac refresh I will be now be using a mix between maxed out rMBP and iMac. While the maxed out iMac is great in studio, one does need both a studio and field Mac. The maxed out BTO rMBP is something special.

10. Office Hours macrumors member

Why? It's easier to take around in meetings. It makes working from home/remotely easier.

So my question to you is: Why does your company still use Mac Pros? We all got at bare minimum, 1080p externals, and yes, that includes account. I have a 1080p on a mounted swivel plus a high res cinema display at work. Can you tell me with a straight face that you need a Mac Pro to do graphic or web design? You can't. If we were arguing about video or rendering, then yeah, but that's not what this thread is about.

11. bitfidelity macrumors member

It's not about need. It's about the fact that desktops are still the standard in work environments.

12. Office Hours macrumors member

According to who? Either way, I feel bad for you and your company. I love taking my rMBP, or work MBP17, to the chiller parts of the office. Have a good time being locked to your desk while gaining nothing.

13. driftless macrumors demi-god

driftless

They were, not so much now, at least not in dynamic companies (not heavy video).

14. Eric8199 macrumors 6502a

I work at a newspaper and have been running Photoshop CS5 and QuarkXpress 8.5 on my rMBP and love it. I really don't notice the pixelation unless I'm looking for it. And this thing is so much faster than the iMac I have at work that I can guarantee I will be doing production on this more than I do on my work-issued computer.

I prefer the laptop all around to a desktop. I guess it's the fact that I can work at my desk, or I can work on the couch, or I can work on the road. There's just something about being portable, even if you don't need to be. But as a journalist, I need to be.

Seriously, when you're in the store, looking at the screen trying to find flaws, you'll find them. But in regular use, you won't even notice them. At least that's my personal experience.

15. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Are you serious? Your argument against notebooks is simply that you should keep an old tradition going? Times change. Why on earth would you choose a desktop thats no cheaper and provides no more advantage than a notebook?

16. bitfidelity macrumors member

Please tell me what advantages a notebook has over a desktop besides portability.

17. zerotiu macrumors regular

1. Notebook avoid the troublesome of transfering files from desktop to notebook. We will say it is easy, there is cloud storage..but not all companies are technology-aware.

2. Notebook needs small workspace.

3. Tidiness, no cable = heaven. That's what Apple try to create with iMac

4. In long run, it is easy to move notebook than desktops (office relocation, etcs)

18. jcpb macrumors 6502a

stevelam: what exactly makes the MBPR a "pro" machine?

Answer that question.

I'm afraid you cannot, since you are so dead set against the MBPR from the very second it was announced.

19. darwinian macrumors 6502a

darwinian

Power consumption. But it's a tradeoff with portability, of course.

20. jcpb macrumors 6502a

Partial Anandtech's coverage of Intel's IDF 2005. Note the trends.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Please tell me you're joking with your post.

21. stevelam thread starter macrumors 65816

Um I've had one on order for over a month now. And this thread is for design/dev professionals. If you're not involved in these fields, then you're pointless to this thread.

22. Slivortal macrumors 6502

Just because something sells more doesn't necessarily mean that it's better.

Heck, how many Beats headpones are sold for every good headphone? The only real advantage of a laptop over a desktop is portability - any laptop can be made into a desktop, and usually improved in doing so.

But for people like me (and maybe others), that portability is crucial.

Sorry for irrelevance to OP's post.

23. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

Sounds like where ever you are working is pretty behind the times. The only times I see desktops are for video production or rendering.

Why would a company want to constrain someone to their desk. We give everyone a laptop, monitor and a mouse (keyboard if you _really_ want it for some reason). You can bring your work with you to a meeting or home. It would be extremely inconvenient to work from home having to copy my work to an external drive.

I can't tell you how many times in a single day I pop over to someones desk with a laptop in hand to work out a problem. I also have my laptop in hand for 90% of meetings.

----------

Anything from Adobe is pretty annoying to work with right now. Everything is very pixalated. I upgraded my editor to Coda 2 for the Retina support. Not all editors have been upgraded. I was happy with Coda 1, but starting to get used to version 2.

I use Photoshop on my external, but resizing the window gets screwy sometimes.

I use Chrome full time and I am using the Canary build. Plugins are currently screwed up if they have a popup, like 1password. Everything else works for the most part.

Most apps haven't been ported over yet. Some you won't even notice like Evernote. But apps like Color Schemer Studio look pretty terrible currently. (Retina support is apparently in the works).

I use Tower Git, which hasn't been ported yet but its tolerable.

I would really recommend having an external that you can view things in to double check. Images on websites can look blurry, takes a bit of getting used to.

24. stevelam thread starter macrumors 65816

interesting. thanks! the main worry that i'm seeing from your post is the fact that even on an external monitor, photoshop gets screwy?

25. jcpb macrumors 6502a

What makes a MBPR a "pro" machine?

You still haven't answered that question.