Whos waiting for back to school promotion for new mbps?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lbjsong, Mar 5, 2010.

1. lbjsong macrumors regular

Apple usually kicks their back to school promotion in mid-May.
    since MBP's not releasing anytime soon (maybe end of march?).
    we all would get better deals when we get that promotion back.

all we have to do is to wait 50 days more.
    who's in? who's out?

If Apple not releasing 13" MBP with antiglare, I am waiting till May

2. stinkhorn macrumors newbie

stinkhorn

i don't have the option to wait until 'may'. i apparently already missed the free ipod deal on student discount (which was apparently in place in the uk a few months ago(?)), and today i asked an apple store employee in regent street how much i could hope to get discounted off a current mbp when the new ones came out. while he guessed at about "£100", he didn't really have a clue. and as regards *when* this might happen, of course, no clue either.

i fear that *nothing at all* is going to happen in the near future - we're all whipping ourselves into an obsessive and unhealthy frenzy with no foreseeable end!

3. gilljoy macrumors member

i personally am, may as well wait and get the most value for my money. possibly sell on the new ipod

4. JacaByte macrumors 6502

Oh sure, why the hell not? Especially considering that it would only be another month and a half if they don't release them this month.

5. ronjon10 macrumors regular

I'm not going to buy anything until about 3 weeks after release to make sure there aren't any 27" imac type issues. If that time frame happens to land me in the promo period great, I'll have an ipod to give to my nephew or something. I'm not waiting for the promo specifically though.

Maybe I'll wait for Sandy Bridge in case next years promo will be a free iPhadlet.

6. tikidoc macrumors regular

tikidoc

I have seen various estimates for when this promotion starts, ranging from May to June to "summer". Does someone have dates for the start of this promotion in the US for the last couple years? I'd love to have a brand new MBP as soon as it comes out, but the later that becomes, the better the idea of waiting for this promotion becomes.

7. Waldszenen macrumors member

I'm in Australia meaning we've currently got the education specials - i.e. free 8GB iPod Touch with all Macs. It ends 31 March though, so I'm really hoping the MBP refresh will happen before then.

8. DaWooster macrumors member

9. bobfitz14 macrumors 65816

bobfitz14

wow i didn't realize the back to school promotion with the free iPod was this early, i always assumed it was like mid July/August that it started...this is good news. i'm definitely waiting until May.

10. Eltorero macrumors newbie

Yes, I am waiting for that because I'm going to uni in September.

I really hope this discount of like 300$ (correct me if I'm wrong) can be applied to an iPad instead of an iPod Touch. That would be so awesome.

11. crogster2010 macrumors newbie

hey

do you think the amount of discount using education store which is on the mbp dual core will be the same as when the new mbp's with the better chip come out or will there be less disount on the new ones?

12. devils punchbow macrumors member

Think you will be very lucky if you see a MBP update by mid May.......
    Let's get the update first rather then get ahead of ourselves.

13. tikidoc macrumors regular

tikidoc

I assume these discounts apply to the whole "education store", not just students, correct? Educators as well as students?

14. 6-0 Prolene macrumors 6502

Yup--faculty, staff, and students. It's not a ton of savings, but enough to offset sales tax etc. and AppleCare is MUCH cheaper.

15. Amnak macrumors 6502

Are you talking about the Best Buy one or do they start in july?

16. Eltorero macrumors newbie

The one from Apple where you get a free iPod Touch (or a discount on similar products for that matter) with a new mac.

17. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

Doubt it. But that would be really nice.

18. Nein01 macrumors 6502

Nein01

I'm graduating in May. Think I'll qualify?

I am going back to school in a way though, to be a teacher.

19. bobfitz14 macrumors 65816

bobfitz14

all you might need is a student/faculty email address, you should qualify though.

20. Absent macrumors member

I've been thinking about waiting for it too. Does the free ipod come along with the regular education discount, or do you have to choose either one? And I didn't know you can choose to not take the ipod and apply that discount to something else. Can't apply it back to the computer can you?

21. iSax1234 macrumors regular

I'm trying to wait. I just bought a D5000 and right now all i have is a 2008 white macbook so I need something with some power. So I might just buy one before they do the whole iPod thing. If I do wait I'll more than likely sell it so .....

22. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

$200 in the U.S. Its the same as the price of the smallest capacity iPod touch.

23. vong macrumors 6502a

vong

i am definitely waiting for this. may cannot come any sooner :mad:

24. Amnak macrumors 6502

O Best Buy also runs the promotion but it's possible they start after apple . :/ Darn that's were I have the gift card to.