Who's waiting for Haswell?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Liquinn, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Liquinn Suspended

Is anyone waiting for Haswell next year? If you are why are you?

2. iMusings macrumors member

I'm kind of hoping the Retina display MBP will have a matte option with the Haswell refresh…  :rolleyes:

3. syan48306 macrumors 6502a

syan48306

They say the glossy is really nice. Like industry best, nice. I'd check it out if I were you and see how much glare you get before deciding to go matte.

4. bigalow macrumors member

currently on a 2006 mbp - I couldn't wait any longer.

It's sad but people will likely bitch about haswell for some reason

5. Liquinn thread starter Suspended

I upgraded my late 2011 MBP to the 13" mid 2012 Macbook Pro and there isn't much difference. Ahh well.

Haswell's still 8 months or so away, but that will soon come around.

Hmmmm

6. rockbird macrumors member

then there is broadwell, narrowwell and infinitwell, i guess you should keep waiting

7. benjones macrumors regular

You're going to be waiting until 2014 then if the latest rumours are true.

8. salmoally macrumors regular

Haha you're such a moron. You buy a MBP a few weeks before they release new one, then buy the new one anyways which wasn't that much better and now your here speculating away for a release at least 12 months away.

Comical.

9. Boe11 macrumors 6502a

And tragic. It must be seriously exhausting to be him.

10. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

11. cubbie5150 macrumors 6502a

I'm not waiting for Haswell, specifically... I'm just hoping/praying that Apple will ease up on the non-upgradeability of future MBPs. It's amazing what they do design-wise, but I'm so "meh" when it comes to "thin at all costs"... I just don't understand the appeal to have something as thin as a credit card.

12. dagamer34 macrumors 65816

dagamer34

I've got a Sandy Bridge MBP right now and I'm personally waiting for Broadwell (14nm die shrink of Haswell), not because of the CPU itself, but 2014 is when Intel will supposedly be upgrading Thunderbolt to the next standard (hopefully 50-100Gbps bidirectional), which should be fast enough for a reasonably powerful external GPU. At that point, I also expect Retina displays and SSDs in all Macs sold, and perhaps better battery technology? And it'll be cheaper!

No point in upgrading from one year to the next though.

13. Mr MM macrumors 65816

Mr MM

I was going to keep this mbp 13 early 2011 model for only this year, since I was very displeased with apple customer support in brazil. However since its in for repairs the 2nd time, I might be considering just to swallow it for haswell instead of selling it, if I buy another apple machine it will boil down on how the repairs are made this time, will see if it takes the bile out of my mouth.

if indeed it does, the rmbp with haswell should be a great thing to behold, a more powerful cpu and gpu to boot.

14. therealseebs macrumors 65816

therealseebs

If the answer is "it is possible for me to detect the glare with a light directly behind me", then that is "too much glare".

I don't think you, or Apple, understand the problem with glare. The problem is not how bright the glare is. The problem is that any detectable clear reflection whatsoever causes eyestrain and makes people shift into uncomfortable positions trying to avoid it.

The reason people overwhelmingly prefer matte displays (about 70% of people prefer matte, and 15% don't care...) is that they are better for absolutely every purpose except one: Looking impressive and shiny in a store.

15. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

probably the same people who, this time last year, were waiting for ivy bridge.

----------

I'd totally believe that 70% of people who were shown matte and glossy chose matte...but I don't at all believe that even 70% of people even realize matte is a thing

16. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Haswell is nothing more than a development project / vaporware until there is a set, published by the manufacturer, release date. I don't "wait" for anything that is in development.

17. therealseebs macrumors 65816

therealseebs

Look at what's happened to (non-Apple) laptop displays in the last year. Last year, when one of the PC magazines released those survey results, they had a bunch of review laptops around and not even one had a matte display. When I got my G53 gaming laptop a couple of months back, it was one of the only ones in the store that had a matte display.

Last weekend, I checked out the computer selections in Best Buy and Microcenter, and both were about half matte displays.

Thing is, people don't have to know that "matte" is a thing. They just have to have, ever in their lives, seen a display that didn't make their eyes hurt. And then if you ask them if they want glossy or ANYTHING ELSE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, they will say "anything else".

18. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

that is my take. If you just bought a new one in 2011, then yes wait, but if it is time go ahead and buy!

19. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

False hope. If the new RMBP is "sealed", why in gods name would you think Apple would allow other models to be upgradeable?

Apple wants their devices lean on the internal storage and they DO NOT want you inside putting hugh freaking TB drives in them. They want you using the "cloud" and the sooner you use up your free 5GB the better.

To anyone who wants to argue this I say... duh.

20. Boe11 macrumors 6502a

While that is always a strong argument, Bill, the upgradeable models are still available so go to town. If Apple doesn't make products that you approve of, just go buy something else. I'm quite certain that Lenovo will be making user upgradable notebooks for years to come.

I mean jesus, you can't have everything. All of these whiny entitles ingrates are kind of annoying. They introduce a completely new line essentially, and still upgrade the traditional MBP with EVERYTHING still there that you're complaining about and you still complain that they developed a new product to sell alongside the current product that from the sound of things, fulfills your needs perfectly. And yet, you continue to bitch.

I hate to be the one to tell you this, but life is full of compromise and you can't get everything you want. They were able to make it thinner, lighter and more advanced by using custom parts and removing some stuff. The standard macbook pro doesn't exactly have a lot of areas that can just be planed down in the ole machine shop, buddy boy.

So they're not taking anything away from you here. If you want to upgrade your ****, great, here you go, product A. If you want something thinner and lighter and don't need to change your own parts, good, you may enjoy our new item, product B.

Just give it a god damn rest already. The worst part is, there's no accountability in these communities, so the people who are throwing a hissyfit will be the same people buying these new machines in a month and finding something else to complain about.

Sheesh.

21. surjavarman macrumors 6502a

What are the advantages of Haswell over Ivy Bridge?

22. PeopleTheseDays macrumors regular

Haswell will be a "Tock" in Intel's development cycle meaning a whole new architecture for the CPU on 22 nm while the integrated graphics should get a major boost. Right now Ivy Bridge iGPU has 16 EU's (execution units). Haswell is rumored to contain at up to 40 EU's, without even considering efficiency changes to each individual EU.

23. Mr MM macrumors 65816

Mr MM

new arch, that would bring better cpu and gpu performance, probably more battery life as well

24. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

A wonderful rant oh short-sighted one. I printed it on #10 paper and will be taking it to the crapper tomorrow morning promptly at 6:23 AM (Yeah, I'm that regular).

What you fail to understand and evidently missed is the "current offerings" which you tout as an alternative and the de-facto solution to us so-called "whiners" won't be there one day very soon. All MacBooks will be non-upgradeable.

Further evidence of your short-sightedness. Again, I say "duh".

25. Screwball macrumors regular