Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

w00t951

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
I'll be pleasantly surprised if the mini is retina next year. The current hardware is already more expensive to build than Apple would like.

Yeah, they only make $141 of profit on the 16GB model, and $241 and $341 on each successive model. I feel so bad for them.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
No. I'll just buy the retina version when it comes out.

In the mean time, I'm enjoying my iPad Mini. My favorite tablet so far.

Life is too short.

I could get hit by a bus tomorrow and never gotten to own a Mini... Bought mine on release day! :D

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
I know I'll probably get a lot of flak for this, but who's waiting for the iPad Mini with Retina display? I took a look at the Mini in the Apple Store, and I could only think of three things:
  1. omfg pixels
  2. omfg 2 year old components
  3. omfg Retina & A6 next year
So who else is waiting for Apple's iPad Mini refresh next year? If we were talking about the Asus Nexus 7 or something, I would just buy it - but this is a significant, $350+ investment.

If you spend your whole life waiting for the newer version of a gadget to come out you'll end up never getting anything. Don't forget Apple stuff keeps it value very well so it's easy to get most of your money back when you upgrade to the latest iPad.

Besides, the screen on the current iPad mini is great anyway, Retina or not.

Jeans89

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2012
Helsinki, Finland
I'll wait. I saw it in a store and realised very soon that I wouldn't tolerate a non-Retina screen anymore. I hope that they will upgrade it also to A6. Meanwhile this iPad 4 gen. will be my device.

MisterDisney

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2010
Yeah, they only make $141 of profit on the 16GB model, and $241 and $341 on each successive model. I feel so bad for them.

Not the point, at all. What I'm pointing out is, the margins aren't where they want them to be on the so-called 2 year old hardware. Not to mention the other design and engineering challenges they would face by making it a retina display. So I think it's unrealistic to expect a retina version, in the near future.

And the screen is just fine, for what it is.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles

You must not know economics...

$188 is the parts to build
Add Labor
Add R&D
Add Package Design
Add Packaging construction
Add Marketing

Their profits are probably more along the lines of $80-100 for the 16gb unit. But also don't forget they only make that much when you buy DIRECTLY from Apple...

I bought mine from Best Buy... my $329 Mini probably cost $285-299 for Best Buy, so Apple sees another 30-50 dollar hit, making a sum profit of about $50-70 per 16gb Mini.

Of course you won't understand this though because you're too busy ZOMFG-ing :rolleyes:

w00t951

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
If you spend your whole life waiting for the newer version of a gadget to come out you'll end up never getting anything. Don't forget Apple stuff keeps it value very well so it's easy to get most of your money back when you upgrade to the latest iPad.

Besides, the screen on the current iPad mini is great anyway, Retina or not.

It's not an obsessive waiting cycle; it's a logical frugality towards a product that is missing a key feature. It's as if a car were sold with brakes of cheese - sure, it'll work, but everything you do would be unpleasant. Now, on top of that, imagine if the next model of that car would be sold with ceramic brakes. Why wouldn't you wait?

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
It's not an obsessive waiting cycle; it's a logical frugality towards a product that is missing a key feature. It's as if a car were sold with brakes of cheese - sure, it'll work, but everything you do would be unpleasant. Now, on top of that, imagine if the next model of that car would be sold with ceramic brakes. Why wouldn't you wait?

False analogy. This is like a car being sold with in a slightly different shade of silver to the one you want and you waiting until next year as a result. The lack of Retina display doesn't detract from the actual function of the tablet at all.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles

Brakes of cheese wouldn't stop the car... it's more like coming standard with TURBO, which is fine and dandy until you realize how much friggin' gas it uses.

You could die tomorrow and never have owned one at all...

w00t951

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Brakes of cheese wouldn't stop the car... it's more like coming standard with TURBO, which is fine and dandy until you realize how much friggin' gas it uses.

You could die tomorrow and never have owned one at all...

1) Turbochargers improve gas mileage by improving the efficiency of fuel combustion.
2) Brakes of cheese was an exaggeration, but not by much. I consider a Retina display to be absolutely crucial to the functionality of a tablet - much like brakes are to a car. So my analogy works pretty damn well, at least for me.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
1) Turbochargers improve gas mileage by improving the efficiency of fuel combustion.
2) Brakes of cheese was an exaggeration, but not by much. I consider a Retina display to be absolutely crucial to the functionality of a tablet - much like brakes are to a car. So my analogy works pretty damn well, at least for me.

If it's an exaggeration then how does it work?

Also you ignored my economics issue... Apple does NOT make 141 per unit sold.

w00t951

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
You must not know economics...

$188 is the parts to build
Add Labor
Add R&D
Add Package Design
Add Packaging construction
Add Marketing

1. Labor is classified as a variable resource under "parts to build."
  2. Package design would cost about $0.01.
  3. Package cost? Really? I can buy USB chargers and iPhone cases for 1 cent online. Paper boxes, especially on plants with long term elasticity of supply, wouldn't be very expensive.
  4. Apple already has reserved advertising schedules. Apple merely changes the content of these adverts.
  5. R&D is what's lacking here. Apple just put a "new" display with 2 year old iPad 2 internals into a new body.

So all of your points are either cheap one time costs, or negligible variable costs. And yes, I "know economics." Derp.

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I'm waiting for the Retina model. I have an iPhone 5 and an iPad 2 that work quite well. No need for me to upgrade the iPad until I have a compelling reason, and for me, it's the small form factor AND a Retina display.

w00t951

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Really? So all the non-retina tablets out there are crippled functionality wise? :confused:

For me, yes. I am graced with 20/20 vision, and spend most of my tablet time reading course notes and briefs. I hate seeing large, chunky pixels made blurry by excessive antialiasing.

fertilized-egg

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2009
  1. omfg pixels
  2. omfg 2 year old components
  3. omfg Retina & A6 next year

If iPad comes with A6 next year, wouldn't you say "omfg, A6, A7 is here already"?

So who else is waiting for Apple's iPad Mini refresh next year? If we were talking about the Asus Nexus 7 or something, I would just buy it - but this is a significant, $350+ investment.

We went through this already here. I bought iPad 2 when many were throwing hissy fits for not having Retina. It was a great purchase and served me very well. If people want a smaller tablet, mini is a great choice.

w00t951

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
If iPad comes with A6 next year, wouldn't you say "omfg, A6, A7 is here already"?

We went through this already here. I bought iPad 2 when many were throwing hissy fits for not having Retina. It was a great purchase and served me very well. If people want a smaller tablet, mini is a great choice.

1) No, because the A6 would not be ridiculously out of date.
2) I don't recall the iPad 2 being criticized for lack of Retina. Besides, different circumstances. When the iPad 2 came out, the only Apple product with Retina was the iPhone. Now, competing tablets have much higher PPIs, and all of Apple's product lines (Mac, iPad, iPhone) have Retina devices. It's indubitably outdated.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
I don't recall the iPad 2 being criticized for lack of Retina. Besides, different circumstances. When the iPad 2 came out, the only Apple product with Retina was the iPhone. Now, competing tablets have much higher PPIs, and all of Apple's product lines (Mac, iPad, iPhone) have Retina devices. It's indubitably outdated.

Everyone was dissing the iPad 2 for not having a Retina display here on MR. A lot of those people when went ahead and bought them anyway :)

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
  1. Labor is classified as a variable resource under "parts to build."
  2. Package design would cost about $0.01.
  3. Package cost? Really? I can buy USB chargers and iPhone cases for 1 cent online. Paper boxes, especially on plants with long term elasticity of supply, wouldn't be very expensive.
  4. Apple already has reserved advertising schedules. Apple merely changes the content of these adverts.
  5. R&D is what's lacking here. Apple just put a "new" display with 2 year old iPad 2 internals into a new body.

So all of your points are either cheap one time costs, or negligible variable costs. And yes, I "know economics." Derp.

Are you high or uneducated?

Do know how much the paper box industry makes?
Look it up, "you really need to gets some of them learnin' done."

1. "the $188 figure is just the Bill of Materials (BOM)--the total cost of all the parts inside. It does not include labor for assembly, or shipping, or any other costs except the BOM."
2. & 3. Box designers/graphic designers make a BOATLOAD of money. Go ahead and google how much a box designer and a graphic artist makes. Then Multiply it by at very least .5 because nobody would charge Apple the "average" price. Not to mention that no packaging company would charge a company like Apple any less than top dollar, especially with their elaborate package designs. Every time Apple changes the shape of a box they need to spend a fair bit of money for a packaging engineer to even design a box. (newsflash iPad Mini is a new box design)

4. I used to work for a company that did Apple's commercials... the Justin Long ones and the iPad Nano being ones I recall, it's not a "set supply" it was billed, and billed VERY highly for every time they used our services and by the HOUR. Is there a marketing budget of the company? Yes... is that money they could save by NOT making a commercial? YES!

5. You really are completely uneducated in the matter if you think $0 R&D went into an iPad Mini. The design alone probably went through 50 mock ups (Paying Jony Ive, paying the mock up builders, paying for parts) and that's just for the way it looks. Then you need to custom build a motherboard that works for the smaller size that is also thinner. Pay someone to put it all together, pay someone else to install the software, pay a QC team to test out what works and what doesn't, etc.

Somebody really needs a lesson in life, economics and reasonable thought.

Last edited:

fertilized-egg

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2009
1) No, because the A6 would not be ridiculously out of date.

1) A5 at 32nm isn't ridiculously out of date. It's still more than enough to power iOS with good efficiency and its GPU is more than competitive enough. Don't forget Apple's flagship iPhone came out with A5 just a year ago and the 32nm version didn't appear until this year.

2) I don't recall the iPad 2 being criticized for lack of Retina. Besides, different circumstances. When the iPad 2 came out, the only Apple product with Retina was the iPhone. Now, competing tablets have much higher PPIs, and all of Apple's product lines (Mac, iPad, iPhone) have Retina devices. It's indubitably outdated.

iPad 2's competing 10.1" tablet all had higher PPIs and all 7 inch tablets had higher PPIs than iPad 2 as well. The situation hasn't changed all that much except that iPads have Retinas.

You don't recall the disappointments? Let me help you jog your memory by digging up some old threads. It'll sound VERY familiar. ;)

From March 2011

Ipad 2 no retina display...... really ?

No retina display.... thats not serious.

Who cares about 2 low res cameras when its about the only new thing on the ipad. Yeah it has a A5 chip and is 33% thinner but the ipad 2 not worth buying without the retina display in my opinion.

When i look at a iphone 3gs my eyes bleed (i am used to my i4 retina display). Not putting that key feature on their newest ipad gen is just plain dumb since they put it on their lastest iphone gen.

Anyways, i'll wait for ipad 3.

April 2011

Was saving for an iPad 2, but after discovering Refurb iPad 1...

Was saving for an iPad 2, but after discovering Refurb iPad 1...
Do you guys think i’m missing anything in the iPad 2 if I skip this generation and then buy the iPad 3? I was sort of disappointed when there was no retina display on the 2. If its in iPad 3 i’ll definitely want to get it.

Feb 2011

iPad 2 in Production: Thinner, Lighter, Faster, No Retina Display
No retina display? I'll keep my iPad 1 then.

(another poster)
No better resolution. No thanks. I'll save my money for iPad 3. Looking at my iPhone 4 screen and then the current iPad, there's a huge difference in clarity.

(another)
Expected, but still a bummer. No retina display = no iPad for me. After using an iPhone 4 for about half a year, I can't look at the iPad's pixelated screen!

and so on... we've gone through the exactly the same routine before. If a mini fits your routine, it's an awesome device despite the lack of Retina just like iPad 2 was. I have both 2 and 3, and often prefer 2 because it's slightly lighter and longer lasting, that's because 2 doesn't have Retina.

plucky duck

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2012
Perhaps if Apple rolled out the Mini at a lower price point, many here would not be as critical of the display. Certain groups of consumers are now hooked on the perceived quality of retina displays and it can be a double edged sword for Apple, mostly a success story though.

Many may have feel "cheated", having to pay a premium for something that's lacking that consumers simply expect to have been included, and been the new 'wave' that Apple's been promoting.

Aside from the form factor difference, many consumers were expecting the display of the Mini to be on the same level as the regular iPad, they were not ready to equate the smaller form factor Mini to being an inferior product to the iPad. Difference in size, but not difference in quality.

Personally I'm not ready to pay the premium Apple is asking for the Mini as there's still an uncomfortable gap between price vs value.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
Perhaps if Apple rolled out the Mini at a lower price point, many here would not be as critical of the display. Certain groups of consumers are now hooked on the perceived quality of retina displays and it can be a double edged sword for Apple, mostly a success story though.

Many may have feel "cheated", having to pay a premium for something that's lacking that consumers simply expect to have been included, and been the new 'wave' that Apple's been promoting.

Aside from the form factor difference, many consumers were expecting the display of the Mini to be on the same level as the regular iPad, they were not ready to equate the smaller form factor Mini to being an inferior product to the iPad. Difference in size, but not difference in quality.

Personally I'm not ready to pay the premium Apple is asking for the Mini as there's still an uncomfortable gap between price vs value.

I don't feel like I'm paying a premium for my Mini. I'm just not paying bottom dollar. But I get the thinnest and lightest tablet on the market. I get a fantastic build quality, amazing battery life and the best multimedia player today.

If you want the Retina Display then get the iPad 4, it's a great iPad too.

This has always been the marketing strategy of Apple anyway.

Lower entry level products that have lower specs and a slightly lower price point that is still a fair amount higher than the competition ($999 13" White Macbook vs $699 equivalent Windows PC).
You want premium get the premium product (13" Macbook Pro $1299).

I don't get how people rehash the same complaint for a decade and still can't seem to comprehend it.

AzN1337c0d3r

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2010
The lack of Retina display doesn't detract from the actual function of the tablet at all.

Umm yes it does. It's basically impossible to read scientific papers PDFs in portrait mode with that low resolution without zooming.

akdj

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
62.88°N/-151.28°W
The smart money is on the upcoming mini with retina... :D

Apple needs to curtail the low-res model ASAP.

Lol. You again and you're in depth wisdom...:rolleyes:

Why wouldn't it make sense? Not everyone wants to buy high-end devices, sell them for losses so they can buy the new version every year. That's a fool's game to those who don't particularly like throwing away their money on stuff that's outdated from the moment of purchase.

A. It's definitely not outdated.
B. Apple holds value. Even to take a hundred dollar hit, that's less than a ten bucks a month. Not a problem. It's a very convenient device. Especially if you're vested at all into the Apple Eco-system.

Wirelessly posted

I'm in the waiting band wagon. What sucks is that I am not upgrading due to this very issue and really want to make a point with Apple by not supporting it with my wallet. However, I am caught in Apple's trap since it is the holidays and the price point makes it an excellent gift. I am going to buy two for my kids but I don't plan on replacing my 3 with it. Not until retina is out.

That's showing them! You're not buying one for yourself...but two for the kids ;)

For me, yes. I am graced with 20/20 vision, and spend most of my tablet time reading course notes and briefs. I hate seeing large, chunky pixels made blurry by excessive antialiasing.

Embellish much? Good lord...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.