All iPads Who's waiting up to pre-order?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Sissyboy, Oct 16, 2014.

1. Sissyboy macrumors regular

Sissyboy

I'm going to pre-order the new Air if I don't fall asleep first.

Anyone else waiting up?

I have the SG 6+ and a black iPad Air, but I think I will order a white iPad this go around.

I will post back when the iPads are available at the Apple Store.
    Please do the same if you are willing.

TGIF

2. coolbeet macrumors newbie

3. Sissyboy thread starter macrumors regular

Sissyboy

Think they will go on sale at 12 pacific>?

4. lewisd25 macrumors 6502a

The Apple Store hasn't gone down yet...they better start pre-orders at 3am. I'm not staying up all night.

5. titans1127 macrumors 6502a

I'm waiting too. Been staying up this late lately so it's not too bad. Just hoping since the store hasn't been taken down that ordering will start on time.

6. Lobwedgephil macrumors 601

Lobwedgephil

Starting to think it won't be at that time, maybe tomorrow night, we will see. Store should be down.

7. Sissyboy thread starter macrumors regular

Sissyboy

No joke. It was down all morning. Maybe they worked their midnight magic then.

8. 100thMonkey macrumors member

i'm here. This will be my first iPad :) I bought the first retina iPad (iPad 3) but returned it quickly because it was too unwieldy. Hopefully the iPad Air 2 will be better. Luckily I'm in California, so its not too late for me

9. iphone6fan macrumors regular

iphone6fan

Did they take the store down when the new Mac Pro started sales at 12 am Pacific time?

10. pog27 macrumors newbie

I don't like that they are being so vague. "available for pre-order tomorrow" "shipping next week" these things are coming from china and they must have a better idea of when we can order them and when they'll be available in stores a week out. I hope I'm not staying up for nothing because I'd like to order my Air 2 in 22 minutes.

11. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

I've never understood why a multibillion dollar company has to turn off their website completely to sell a few new products anyway. Maybe 10 years ago. Surely by now it's just a ritual performed in the name of maintaining the RDF.

12. Sissyboy thread starter macrumors regular

Sissyboy

The iPad Air is so much better than the 3 and 4. The Air 2 should really smoke the 3 and 4.

----------

As long as they are not making them in the 6 plus factory we should all be good. :D

13. DoofenshmirtzEI macrumors 6502a

DoofenshmirtzEI

That wouldn't surprise me. I can do everything to order one right now except push the button because they are "unavailable". They may just become "available" at midnight.

14. jm5309 macrumors regular

I'm up and waiting, too. I'm really excited! I can't wait to have a big, beautiful screen again (been using a Mini and rMini for two years now). I'm hoping we can order soon so I don't fall asleep.

15. nsandin88 macrumors newbie

I'm at the ready, but I'm thinking we might be waiting til sometime later in the day. The vague language about the pre-order time has me a bit concerned.

16. ReallyNiceGuy macrumors member

ReallyNiceGuy

Waiting on the West Coast. Credit card reporting for duty.

17. Sissyboy thread starter macrumors regular

Sissyboy

Yeah... and ya never know with Apple.

18. MikhailT macrumors 601

My guess is they're ramping up instances/servers to increase the scaling needed to handle the first-day traffic, which means they need to push/clone their code/assets that may take a bit of time. It is best to do this when there are no open connections to the store/database, which would reduce the time needed to push changes to all instances. After the traffic dies down, there is no point to have extra servers running, it costs money and it is energy-inefficient, which is why they shut them down and repeat the process each time after each major product comes on the store.

We're not talking about a few thousands of users rushing the site, we're talking millions of folks at the same time, each person has to log in, authenticate, add/modify/confirm credit card information, etc, and so on.

Also, they're only doing this for the store, the other parts of the website stays up just fine, so they're not turning off the website completely.

19. Lobwedgephil macrumors 601

Lobwedgephil

But the store is still up, which hasn't ever happened before, not to mention earlier today.

20. MikhailT macrumors 601

Apple never announced what time it'd be for sale, just on 17th. So, we don't know anything right now. I do recall one time they made it available in the afternoon, not after midnight.

21. iphone6fan macrumors regular

iphone6fan

For what product?

22. titans1127 macrumors 6502a

I wish they did it like last year. No pre-order, on launch day orders started at 3am eastern for store pickup that day or ship to home. Much easier process.