Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Whose giving up their Prized 'Jet Black'.

• Yes

Votes: 38 59.4%
  • No

Votes: 17 26.6%
  • Undecided

Votes: 9 14.1%

• Total voters

unibility

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 6, 2012
Anyone in the same conundrum as me? I've had my iPhone 7 256GB 'Jet Black' for a year now. Love the phone and its color. But looking at the X seems very inviting. Are many owners going back and forth whether to hold onto your phone another year and wait for the 2nd iteration of the X or another special edition color?

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Anyone in the same conundrum as me? I've had my iPhone 7 256GB 'Jet Black' for a year now. Love the phone and its color. But looking at the X seems very inviting. Are many owners going back and forth whether to hold onto your phone another year and wait for the 2nd iteration of the X or another special edition color?

If you still love your phone, and it still works for you, why not keep it another year? There’ll be something even better next year and you’ll probably be tempted by that, but do you really need a new phone every year?

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
I have my jet black for sale here. Although not specific to the X.

Djlild7hina

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2009
My 7 Plus is currently listed on craigslist. I’m looking forward to the X and smaller size.

cwwilson

macrumors 68000
Jan 27, 2009
Oklahoma City, OK
Giving up my JB 256 7+ for the X 256. It's been a pretty good phone. In all honesty I'd hold onto it if it was paid off but since I'm trading it for the X.....it's gotta go. I've kept it in a case so the finish is still in great shape but with the X being glass I won't have to use a case anymore so I'll be happy with that.

I feel the jet black 7 Plus will be sort of a collector's item in a few years, as it's the only time Apple used that process for a phone's color. Knowing I had the creme de la creme for a while is damn cool. I just hope the X lives up to the hype.

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
selling my jetblack iPhone 7 and use the €€€ for the iPhone X.

I have had all iPhones since the 3G, handsdown this jetblack iPhone 7 is my favorite iPhone, simply due to the grip and finish.
No need for one of those fugly cases out there with the jetblack iPhone.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
Looks like I’m in the minority with keeping my JB 7. This’ll be the first time since the 4s that I’m not upgrading and neither the 8 nor the X are the least bit tempting to me.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
TBH I do miss the Jet Black iPhone 7 plus I had, but I gave it up for the 8 Plus Space Gray. I'm loving the 8 Plus.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
The jet black color to me was overrated. I think it looks nice when new wit the shine and it was different from the other aluminum iPhones we have been used to seeing over the years, but many were displeased with the scratching and overall was likely a one time color.

Reactions: tromboneaholic

Pineapple24

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2017
Los Angeles
I think someone with a Jet Black, especially the Plus, is more likely to want the "latest and greatest" phone, and the X fits that.

I have a JB Plus and am looking forward to ordering the X on day one.

Dodgeman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2016
Giving up my JB 256 7+ for the X 256. It's been a pretty good phone. In all honesty I'd hold onto it if it was paid off but since I'm trading it for the X.....it's gotta go. I've kept it in a case so the finish is still in great shape but with the X being glass I won't have to use a case anymore so I'll be happy with that.

I feel the jet black 7 Plus will be sort of a collector's item in a few years, as it's the only time Apple used that process for a phone's color. Knowing I had the creme de la creme for a while is damn cool. I just hope the X lives up to the hype.

I don’t see any phone being a collectors item. Especially in a few years.

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
It’s depreciating by the hour...

neteng101

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2009
I voted No but then again I have none to give up. Still have my prized Matte Black though.

New glass reminds me of jet black somewhat so I don't see the big deal - its the Matte Black that's really special. :p

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Looks like I’m in the minority with keeping my JB 7. This’ll be the first time since the 4s that I’m not upgrading and neither the 8 nor the X are the least bit tempting to me.
hex core, all cores working together
30% faster power cores(x2), 70% faster efficiency cores(x4)

Benchmarks off the charts... and that doesn't tease you, even a little bit. I'll probably keep the X for two years.
X = beast

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....

You're not the only one. Hanging onto my 7+ for at least another year if not more (unless the SE2 is released with better screen, more modern internals (from the 7), same price point as current SE.)

I have no desire for 8/8+ or X. I do not use the vast majority of key features on my 7+, so it's silly for me to even consider. I do enjoy the Jet Black finish and mine is in excellent shape considering.

Reactions: 44267547

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US

Benchmarks off the charts... and that doesn't tease you, even a little bit. I'll probably keep the X for two years.
X = beast

Not even a little bit. My 7 performs everything I do quickly and seamlessly.

Reactions: kazmac

stevemiller

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008

X = beast

People fawned over the performance of the 7 a year ago, too.

Is it no longer beast enough? And if not, why should I trust that this years phone will be the beast of everyone's dreams?

Or should I just always buy the newest thing so that I am the beast and can finally fill the emptiness in my heart?

Reactions: Geert76
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.