Why 8.1 wording that previously you couldn't rip at iTunes Plus quality?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by -js-, Mar 14, 2009.

1. -js- macrumors regular

-js-

Is anyone else annoyed that the billing for iTunes 8.1 implies that before 8.1 you couldn't rip CD's at the 256kbps iTunes Plus AAC? Why did they say this? Is it just for those people who are clueless about this stuff, since if 8.1 is your first install the default will be 256kbps?

I ripped my entire library at 256kbps AAC (cbr). I have an Apogee Duet and Grado SR225 headphones and I can only just barely tell the difference between Apple Lossless or linear, and 256 AAC. Same goes for my home stereo system with Energy Pro 22 speakers and NAD 2200 amp and 1240 preamp and Rotel CD player. I don't have the best equipment in the world, but it certainly is good enough for these listening tests.

Now, 128kbps is another story. I can definitely hear a difference between that and 256 or ALAC or linear.

So, I'm glad that Apple bumped the default setting to 256, but I find their wording rather inaccurate and the implications straight out wrong. More than that, they don't tell you that the default setting has been changed so that now songs will take up almost double the space vs. 128. That's a rather important detail.

Ah, whatever, I suppose that most people will figure all this out for themselves. I just find the confusing wording to be strange and unnecessary.

What does everyone else think?

2. wpc33 macrumors 6502

wpc33

I agree.
    Apple may be trying to conceal their previous affliction for bad bitrates in the iTunes store.
    Most people are way too tech-ignorant to know what you're talking about, though. I'm kind of glad that not everyone has the same annoying penchant for fidelity as I. It can get intrusive and annoying.
    I'm grateful for my hearing, but my left and right brain get into fisticuffs over nits to pick.

3. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

I bet Apple got a few complaints that ripped CDs were not at the same quality as purchased music. And if you explain it, plenty will say "No, I don't want AAC 256 Kbps, I want iTunes Plus". So Apple gives them iTunes Plus.

4. oboewan macrumors newbie

Probably more than that - the default settings have been changed from 128kbps CBR to 256kbps VBR. (Emphasis added)

5. -js- thread starter macrumors regular

-js-

Yes, very good point.