Why a 64GB iPhone but only 50GB iCloud?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kappaknight, Oct 6, 2011.

1. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

If iCloud is meant to copy and backup your phone, why doesn't Apple offer a 64GB iCloud plan? Confused...

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Because its not profitable for them. 5GB is factored into your device's price for the life of it. Hence why you only get 5GB.

Want more? Pony $$$ up.

3. ApplesNBananays macrumors newbie

"Free gets you a lot.

When you sign up for iCloud, you automatically get 5GB of free storage. And that’s plenty of room, because of the way iCloud stores your content. Your purchased music, apps, books, and TV shows, as well as your Photo Stream, don’t count against your free storage. Since your mail, documents, Camera Roll, account information, settings, and other app data don’t use as much space, you’ll find that 5GB goes a long way. And if you need more storage, you can easily purchase a storage upgrade right from your device."

http://www.apple.com/icloud/what-is.html

*Edit* I don't know though how much it is exactly when they say, "you'll find that 5GB goes a long way." How much is a long way? lol

4. iBreatheApple macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

iCloud backups don't make complete copies of the image as far as I know. Further, your phone will probably only have around 57GB when it ships.

5. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

iCloud doesn't back up media on your phone. It just backs up settings and app data. My 32 gig iPhone used about 300 MB per iCloud backup with the iOS5 beta, and the phone was full.

6. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Backups don't include EVERYTHING that is on your phone - it's mainly app settings, contacts, messages, emails, etc. Your physical content - music, movies, apps - will have to be resynced from your computer.

7. kappaknight thread starter macrumors 68000

kappaknight

Ahh... thanks. That makes sense. So I've only used iOS 5 for a day but does iCloud only do backups or can you access it like Dropbox? If a separate app is needed to do that, I feel like I'm missing it. Also, I'm still only on Snow Leopard if that explains it.

8. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

There will be a Lion and a Snow Leopard update to enable your Mac to work with iCloud. Expect it to be released sometime this weekend or next week.