Why a camera in the next gen iPod Touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by WestCoastUser83, Jun 17, 2010.

1. WestCoastUser83 macrumors newbie

I am curious why so many want a camera in their Touch. I really see little to no value in this feature.

Since there is no phone capability the only way to move pic off of it is via a dock or wifi. I live in the San Francisco area and its hard to locate free wifi. I actually don't find may in the internet based apps on my 16 g 1st Gen Touch of much value - I use it really as a media player when not a home, and its almost at full storage capacity.

Also I have a cellphone (company provided) that has a camera, and I usually have it with me, so I have a camera. If you're carrying a Touch and a cellphone, why do you need two devices in your pocket with cameras?

Personally, I rather have Apple skip a camera in the 4th Gen Touch and increase the battery size for longer life in it.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Other people do. What a pointless thread.

3. Silofolous macrumors member

Again, other people do, but you aren't really projecting your opinion on others here, so its all good.

But you would be able to take pictures and store them on the iPod Touch, and then when you get home, or at a place with free wifi like Starbucks, you could get the pics off then. And about you using it as a media player, that's fine, but realize not everyone is like you. I have an 8Gb 1G iPod Touch, and I only have a couple of movies on there, and I'd love to have a camera ability.

Yes, YOU have a cellphone with a camera. But again, your experiences are not everyone's. My phone does not have a camera, so having a camera on my iPod Touch would be absolutely wonderful. I understand that IF you have two devices with a camera it would be redundant but that's like saying "Most people who own laptops have desktops, and most desktops have DVD players, so let's not have a DVD player in our new laptops cause after all, who needs two DVD players?"

That's all well and good, but realize that the 3rd Gen has the space for a camera, and if they use the A4 chip it should open up space for increased battery life as well.

And two words: Augmented Reality.

4. pika2000 macrumors 68030

It depends if Apple still want to go after the Flip camcorder market (which imo already being cannibalized by point-n-shoot digicams). I mean that's what Apple was trying to market the 5G nano against. It's a fine balance. They have to improve the Touch in a more significant way since the 3rd gen update was not that satisfying, but at the same time, they wouldn't want to make the Touch outshine the iPhone 4.

Or, we can see Apple focusing the next Touch as a gaming device, again, by putting the A4 and gyroscope in it.

All I want for Apple is to put shuffle-by-album capability back into the iPod app in iOS. This is a basic function that has existed on the Classic/nano forever, but not on the supposedly "best" iPod?

5. pika2000 macrumors 68030

I thought it's already revealed that the spot is actually for the light ambient sensor, no?

6. ARF900 macrumors 65816

ARF900

This. Most would have access to wifi, plus Apple needs the touch to have a camera so that they can brag about the number of Face Time able devices.

Going of topic here but I really dont see facetime as something that is going to be useful in the next few years, I think Apples hope is that as carriers get stronger and iPhone market share grows (plus other phones will have cameras) then it will be an amazing feature, but I just dont see it as realistic for now.

7. Gatorsxrule macrumors member

8. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

It's cheaper to camwhore with an iPod touch with a camera than an iPhone. Should we have a camera in the iPod shuffle too? Oh, while Job's at that, maybe throw in video too, making it the smallest video camera ever. :rolleyes:

9. Biker macrumors regular

10. mondesi43 macrumors regular

More RAM + camera + iMovie for iPhone = no need for P+S camera.....period. That's why people want it and we will see it.

11. a sandwhich macrumors member

You say the only way to transfer photos away is dock or wifi, well I have at least five different apps that let you send photos to friends via bluetooth. I was with my aunt a couple days ago and she saw a picture of my cousin that she wanted so I just sent her the photo via bluetooth. Thats the thing with so many apps, the higher the chance of something unlikely happening.

12. puffnstuff macrumors 65816

I don't have a camera on my phone and I carry my ipod everywhere.

13. Musicman777 macrumors newbie

I too am hoping the new Touch has a camera. What do you guys think the odds are of it sharing the same (rear facing) camera as the iPhone 4????

14. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

None at all. If anything, it will just have the front facing camera.

15. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Amazing thing is read the nano forums. When asked what people wanted in the next gen nano, most replied "no camera at all". Many (a lot of) people are not able to carry a device with a camera so if the Touch has a camera, they will not buy it.

16. ChrisGonzales90 macrumors 6502a

ChrisGonzales90

There are more that use the touch then just you. It's getting pretty stupid that we get some people who think that because they have no use for a feature no one will.

A camera on the touch will be great. It has wifi so those photo apps will sell even more (meaning 30% will go to apple). People can upload their taken photos on to sites like flickr he'll even video chat cam become more main stream.

Besides, Steve said they will sell "tens of millions of face time devices this year" meaning there is a good chance the iPod touch will get a camera. He only said it will be iphone 4 iPhone 4 because that's all that's out at the moment and the iPod discussions will come in three months.

17. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

1. Many people have digital cameras that require a USB connection or require you to take the memory card out to download photos. It is normal.

2. Your company didn't provide everyone else a cellphone with a camera. It is just you. Others wouldn't mind just having one device or may not have a camera or a generous employer.

3. Battery will be increased most likely. Camera won't make a difference.

18. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

It's also getting pretty stupid that some people think that everyone wants a camera in the touch. As I said above, many people are not allowed a device with a camera in it and would not get a Touch if Apple puts a camera in one.

A camera would also add to the cost which some people wouldn't mind but others would.

In the end it doesn't matter since Apple does what it wants independent from what people want or don't want (i.e. take it or leave it).

19. ChrisGonzales90 macrumors 6502a

ChrisGonzales90

Then don't buy one or at the very least don't bring the touch with you. You don't have to bring your touch with you to work. Just leave it at home or in your car. The iPhone has always had a camera. They never give you the option. As you said it's take it or leave it.

And how exactly would it add to the cost? For 299 you can get a 32gb iphone.
    Same price you can get the 32GB touch.

In the end quit complaining about a silly camera. Apple is not making the touch just for you.

20. Silofolous macrumors member

Well, you can't get a 32Gb iPhone without contract for 299. The iPhone has contracts, extra charges, etc. which imo make the iPod Touch a superior product.

But you do raise good points in your first paragraph.

21. ChrisGonzales90 macrumors 6502a

ChrisGonzales90

The way I see it the touch is a personal media device or even a PDA type of device. It's not even in the same category as the iPod. More like the iPad if you ask me. The nano is an mp3 player as with the classic. Their primary use is music and casual video watching.

I do hope this year they will market the product like thet do the iPad. None of this game crap but that's just me.

22. Musicman777 macrumors newbie

Nooo.....don't say that Plutonius!!! Hehe

23. mike dunx macrumors regular

i don't see why apple can't just offer the camera as an option, or as a slightly more expensive "ipod touch photo" or whatever

personally i can't afford an iphone or the 2 year contract it comes with. i'm also in the market for a new ipod, and also a decent point & shoot camera that i could carry around easily. so an iphone 4g sans "phone" would be awesome.

however, i'll probably be forced to just pay the huge non contract price when apple releases an ipod touch with JUST the facetime camera, or some other crippling configuration

24. na1577 macrumors 6502a

No. The ambient light sensor is offset, the camera was centered. Also, previous touches didn't have the same gap as the current touch, and they still have the light sensors.

25. ChrisGonzales90 macrumors 6502a

ChrisGonzales90

And by gap you mean the circuit board.