Why all the hate?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RiCEADDiCTBOY, Dec 27, 2007.

1. RiCEADDiCTBOY macrumors 6502a

RiCEADDiCTBOY

I've just been reading several threads and there seems to be a bit of a animosity cloud hovering over several posters concerning the mbp. i personally love it...and never really knew that wifi was such a big issue in comparison to the macbook.

i was looking at a toshiba or a sony viao for a laptop...but, the build, quality, and software that apple develops is just plain awesome. its really a tough decision for myself to make.

i really would love to see a blu-ray drive on a mbp though...and not from a third party. mostly because i support blu-ray and own a ps3. blu-ray looks seriously amazing.

i think that the mbp is an amazing laptop...just curious why everyone is so fussy over it.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

3. RiCEADDiCTBOY thread starter macrumors 6502a

RiCEADDiCTBOY

4. Mydel macrumors 6502a

Mydel

I can't comment on others but my MBP 2.4 is pretty good. No major problems here. Some people will always complain and some machines are faulty. But I guess 99% is OK. Leopard have some problems with wireless but its also usually nothing major

5. heatmiser macrumors 68020

It's not horrible; it's just not as strong as that of the MB. It's not like folks with Macbooks are pulling in signals from two cities over, while people with Pros are struggling to move more than three feet away from their routers...it's just the difference between being slightly inside range and being slightly out of range.

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

No, not really. It's the nature of forums such as this to attract people who have problems to be vocal whereas people like yourself who are happy with their machines are often left out.

7. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

8. RiCEADDiCTBOY thread starter macrumors 6502a

RiCEADDiCTBOY

9. heatmiser macrumors 68020

10. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

MBP = Sexiest in the world
    VAIO = Sexiest Windows laptops
    Toshiba = okay laptop

11. SolRayz macrumors 6502a

SolRayz

I guess...I have no problems sitting about 60 feet away out on my porch.:confused:

12. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Now, now, we have to be PC about the whole thing. They don't have girlfriends OR boyfriends. ;) :p
    No. I get pretty strong reception and I'm pretty far from my router. Like another poster said, it's usually the difference between "slightly in range" and "slightly outside of range."

13. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

LOL! :D

Have a PowerBook. Believe that it is similar to the MBP in reception.

Reception is decent, not the best and definitely not the worst.

The best that I've used is my Sharp MM20.

14. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Remember that the MacBook's reception is especially good, too. :)

15. kaiwai macrumors 6502a

kaiwai

Or boyfriends! don't forget the girls and gays here :p

Geeze, thats a pretty big house! for 60 feet, I'd have to my in my next door neighbours yard :p

16. Brianstorm91 macrumors 65816

Brianstorm91

Try again mate :)

17. kaiwai macrumors 6502a

kaiwai

lol - I have no boyfriend, but you don't see me frothing at the mouth over 'teh wifi' :D

18. HMoth84 macrumors newbie

HMoth84

The only major issue I've had with my MBP is a faulty SuperDrive, but Apple took care of that fairly quickly. Sure, I have the occasional trackpad lag when waking it from "safe sleep" and there's a slight yellowing at the bottom of the screen (albeit not as bad as others, apparently), but I am happy with the machine I'm fortunate enough to have.

As consumers, we have every right to be upset when a bought product doesn't work correctly, especially from a company with such a reputation as Apple. However, it's tough to really go online and praise your machine in a forum generally meant for the troubleshooting of faulty machines. So while those with working machines are singing Apple's praises to their friends (who are willing to listen!), the ones actively looking for help are certainly the ones most vocal in these forums.

Hence, the praise is easily lost amid the cries of consumers upset at their lacking gadget. Perhaps some restraint would be helpful, but they're not entirely at fault for being upset and shouldn't necessarily be called whiners :)

Anyway, my two cents (and mine alone! muhahaha:p)

19. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

20. lost eden macrumors 6502a

Whereas I would choose a MBP over a Vaio or a Tecra, the only reason for doing so would be to sell it on & buy a Thinkpad! Not even a MBP can come close to a Thinkpad when it comes to build quality, features, options, etc.

21. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Uhm - not at all, at least not on my 17" MBP. In fact it's a damn sight better both in stability and range than either of the other (Windows) laptops I use regularly.

22. kaiwai macrumors 6502a

kaiwai

True, but with Thinkpad, you're stuck with Windows. If Apple licenced Mac OS X to Lenovo, it would be a different issue; I'd buy a thinkpad straight away.

23. lost eden macrumors 6502a

Um, no. You can choose from Windows, Linux, Solaris, BSD, whatever you want. As a matter of fact, IBM/Lenovo have long been known to have some of the best Linux support of any manufacturer. I switched from a Thinkpad running Linux to a MacBook running OS X & I can't wait until I can switch back again.

24. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

I hate to admit it but it is true.

Now if Apple switches to using the Macbook styled keyboards on the MacBook Pro that is another reason for me to go "Oh well, nice knowing ya Apple... you make nice looking laptops, but..."

The Macbook Pro keyboards are pretty much the closest thing to the notebook keyboard nirvana that Thinkpad keyboards are.

Now if you are a kid and all you do is "surf the internet" and type "word documents" like any typically paper pusher... the Macbook keyboard would suffice for you. On the other hand if you REALLY into typing I still cannot see how the Macbook keyboard can hold up.

25. heatmiser macrumors 68020

I've typed half a novel on my Macbook keyboard. It might not work for you, but it certainly works for some folks.