Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RiCEADDiCTBOY

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 26, 2007
I've just been reading several threads and there seems to be a bit of a animosity cloud hovering over several posters concerning the mbp. i personally love it...and never really knew that wifi was such a big issue in comparison to the macbook.

i was looking at a toshiba or a sony viao for a laptop...but, the build, quality, and software that apple develops is just plain awesome. its really a tough decision for myself to make.

i really would love to see a blu-ray drive on a mbp though...and not from a third party. mostly because i support blu-ray and own a ps3. blu-ray looks seriously amazing.

i think that the mbp is an amazing laptop...just curious why everyone is so fussy over it.

heatmiser

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2007
It's not horrible; it's just not as strong as that of the MB. It's not like folks with Macbooks are pulling in signals from two cities over, while people with Pros are struggling to move more than three feet away from their routers...it's just the difference between being slightly inside range and being slightly out of range.

SolRayz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2007
Ft. Lauderdale
It's not horrible; it's just not as strong as that of the MB. It's not like folks with Macbooks are pulling in signals from two cities over, while people with Pros are struggling to move more than three feet away from their routers...it's just the difference between being slightly inside range and being slightly out of range.

I guess...I have no problems sitting about 60 feet away out on my porch.:confused:

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
They don't have girlfriends.
Now, now, we have to be PC about the whole thing. They don't have girlfriends OR boyfriends. ;) :p
is the wifi really that bad on the mbp?

No. I get pretty strong reception and I'm pretty far from my router. Like another poster said, it's usually the difference between "slightly in range" and "slightly outside of range."

HMoth84

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2007
Alexandria, VA
The only major issue I've had with my MBP is a faulty SuperDrive, but Apple took care of that fairly quickly. Sure, I have the occasional trackpad lag when waking it from "safe sleep" and there's a slight yellowing at the bottom of the screen (albeit not as bad as others, apparently), but I am happy with the machine I'm fortunate enough to have.

As consumers, we have every right to be upset when a bought product doesn't work correctly, especially from a company with such a reputation as Apple. However, it's tough to really go online and praise your machine in a forum generally meant for the troubleshooting of faulty machines. So while those with working machines are singing Apple's praises to their friends (who are willing to listen!), the ones actively looking for help are certainly the ones most vocal in these forums.

Hence, the praise is easily lost amid the cries of consumers upset at their lacking gadget. Perhaps some restraint would be helpful, but they're not entirely at fault for being upset and shouldn't necessarily be called whiners :)

Anyway, my two cents (and mine alone! muhahaha:p)

lost eden

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2007
UK
mbp vs sony vaio and toshiba?
Whereas I would choose a MBP over a Vaio or a Tecra, the only reason for doing so would be to sell it on & buy a Thinkpad! Not even a MBP can come close to a Thinkpad when it comes to build quality, features, options, etc.

kaiwai

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2007
Christchurch
Whereas I would choose a MBP over a Vaio or a Tecra, the only reason for doing so would be to sell it on & buy a Thinkpad! Not even a MBP can come close to a Thinkpad when it comes to build quality, features, options, etc.

True, but with Thinkpad, you're stuck with Windows. If Apple licenced Mac OS X to Lenovo, it would be a different issue; I'd buy a thinkpad straight away.

lost eden

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2007
UK
True, but with Thinkpad, you're stuck with Windows. If Apple licenced Mac OS X to Lenovo, it would be a different issue; I'd buy a thinkpad straight away.
Um, no. You can choose from Windows, Linux, Solaris, BSD, whatever you want. As a matter of fact, IBM/Lenovo have long been known to have some of the best Linux support of any manufacturer. I switched from a Thinkpad running Linux to a MacBook running OS X & I can't wait until I can switch back again.

iW00t

macrumors 68040
Nov 7, 2006
Defenders of Apple Guild

I hate to admit it but it is true.

Now if Apple switches to using the Macbook styled keyboards on the MacBook Pro that is another reason for me to go "Oh well, nice knowing ya Apple... you make nice looking laptops, but..."

The Macbook Pro keyboards are pretty much the closest thing to the notebook keyboard nirvana that Thinkpad keyboards are.

Now if you are a kid and all you do is "surf the internet" and type "word documents" like any typically paper pusher... the Macbook keyboard would suffice for you. On the other hand if you REALLY into typing I still cannot see how the Macbook keyboard can hold up.

heatmiser

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2007
On the other hand if you REALLY into typing I still cannot see how the Macbook keyboard can hold up.

I've typed half a novel on my Macbook keyboard. It might not work for you, but it certainly works for some folks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.