Why all the negativity?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Markgnyc2, Jul 7, 2015.

1. Markgnyc2 macrumors member

I really don't understand all of the negative articles, blogs, and posts about the Apple Watch.

It works as advertised. At its heart it's a watch, it tells time and you can customize the way you see it. It makes notifications easy. You can control your music. It is a fitness monitor. You can take a quick call when convenient. All things as advertised.

Why would you buy a device and then be disappointed that it works as its supposed to? It also has the potential to just get better and better as apps get written for it and watchOS2 comes out. I am enjoying my watch, I wouldn't return it, and I look forward to the future potential of the little screen on my wrist.

2. colburnr macrumors regular

People like to bring down the "top" dog... There are a ton of Apple haters out there who are just waiting for any negative piece of information to jump on. Whatever, I love my watch, as it does many great things for me. In the end, that is all that matters to me...

3. Donstil-nl macrumors 6502

Donstil-nl

Why should you care? If you like it then it's fine right?

No need to make a topic about it if you ask me, just don't care about it is always the best thing, live your own life.

4. thealiendad macrumors member

thealiendad

well said, it does make you wonder what some people expect, when is the feed your cat app coming out? ;-)

5. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

It's "cool" to hate on Apple and many want to see Apple fail.

6. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

It is a great digital watch. It looks very nice, it is comfortable, and it is an excellent extension of the iPhone. However, it is an awful fitness tool, and I think that is a source of a lot of the negativity.

• Customizable watch faces - meh - Apple's are better, but not a whole lot, and this had been around ahead of the AW
    • Complications - Apple win - One of my favorites; I love the weather and activity complication
    • Glances - another strong Apple win; Glances are a way to setup your favorite apps for quick access
    • Apps - so-so - Apple has more apps, and always will. But other watches were already doing apps
    • Notifications - meh - These had been around a while ahead of the AW; Apple's are marginally better, but they own the phone and watch, so I expected it. And, I expect everyone else will match Apple
    • Looks -Crushing Apple victory
    • Exercise - Apple did not attempt to play, so it is a fail for those who expected it
    • Activity - fail - lacks may core features that the rings cannot compensate for
    • Watch UI - better than everyone else
    • Versatility - Apple power win - in time, there will be apps for everything
    • Battery - weakest in the market by a long shot
    • Ruggedness - didn't attempt to to play
    • Water resistance - perceived as weak, but not really
    • Pricing - fail - I cannot rationalize the cost to anyone I know

7. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

It is the nature of these forums. Not just the watch but any new Apple device including the poor iPhone 6 and 6+ that got bashed. Do not let it bother you, it is just part of the way things are.

8. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

My advice to you would be to not try to figure other people out. You will never get anywhere with that. It's always going to happen regardless of whether you figure out why or not. You can't ask these sorts of questions and expect a logical response. People are terrible.

If you're happy with it - that's all that matters. Don't worry about others that want to express their dislike.

9. c55 macrumors regular

c55

I don't pay attention to any of this stuff honestly. I have been using various smartwatches since the original Pebble. I think the Apple Watch is amazing! But if you don't like it, fine, that is your opinion and I can respect that. This product isn't for everyone. If you do like it, fine, I agree with you! If you base your opinions off some random writer's opinion, you're an idiot.

10. Markgnyc2 thread starter macrumors member

I was more referring to the mainstream press blasting the watch. Just Google search "Apple Watch" and you will see what I mean. Believe me, I don't care what others think. But ultimately, all of the negative articles will affect sales for the average consumer who is looking up reviews or what the watch's functionality is.

11. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

Oh yeah, the iPad pretty much got roasted in reviews... Until everyone eventually got one.

12. redman042 macrumors 68020

I don't mind the topic. Someone needs to offset all the negativity. The press has been particularly hard on it lately. Every week I see a new "Why I'm returning my Apple watch" article linked on the Yahoo home page.

This.

This too. It's a great example because, like the watch, it was a new product category that no one could justify through typical logic. Once people stopped thinking about whether they could justify the purchase, and just tried one for an hour, the whole justification discussion melted away for many people.

13. VFC macrumors 6502a

Not sure I would give Apple the win for Complications. Android Wear has all the fitness measurement available (HR, steps, calories, distance, etc). They also have some cool weather watchfaces that show real-time radar imagery and other weather measurements. Check out InstaWeather for Android for example:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=mobi.byss.instaweather.watchface&hl=en

14. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

The iPad was a new category, and it came in at a lower price point that people expected. The smart watch is not a new category-- the Apple Watch arrived a few years after many others had solid products. So people had bigger expectations that (I think) the AW failed to meet. The original iPhone changed everything in an existing category. The AW is still trying to answer the question of what problem it solves.

15. foxkoneko macrumors 6502

negativity for something like apple drives views/clicks. More = more $$$
    There was some study on this regarding youtube video about apple products, positive vs negative reviews.
    No surprise the negative ones got 100k+ or millions of views, while the positives were in the thousands

16. papbot macrumors 6502

Unhappy people always try to make others feel bad by picking on something they know most people really like.

17. mikezmac macrumors 6502a

mikezmac

It goes beyond that. Competition, cough cough, Samsung pays people to troll comment sections of apple articles and basically run a smear campaign. My friend makes $250.00 bucks a week doing this.

Ignore the backlash. Also some web sites sell adds for companies. The Verge makes money from Samsung so they tend to be kinder on reviews of Sammy's products and harsher on apple.

Don't worry about it. Only worry if you see trends of bad comments on apple sites like this with complaints from apple users. If you see a thread here with 5 thousand plus views you may want to check it out.

18. nutmac macrumors 68040

I think a large part is due to high expectations that most Apple products face. And let's face it, Apple Watch is as highly hyped as any other products in the past.

iPad was widely panned when it was announced, with many people calling it a large iPod touch and mocking its name. And iPad had far more universal appeal than Apple Watch. Heck, even the original iPod was panned for high price and Mac-only integration.

And I think it's these hypes and expectations that ultimately doomed infant products like Apple Television before they even had a chance to come to fruition inside Apple.

I think Tim Cook understands all this and I suspect by 3rd generation, Apple Watch will become much more compelling product to wider range of audience.

19. Enygmatic macrumors 6502a

Enygmatic

You poor, completely rational fool... you don't belong on these internet streets.

20. kdarling, Jul 7, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2015

kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

I don't believe it. Why waste the money? Heck, Apple fans are notorious for saying non-positive things about their _own_ favorite company whenever they don't like a new product version. No payment necessary.

Though I must say, for an extra $1,000 a month pocket cash, I think even some hardcore pro-Apple fans would be willing to anonymously post some less than glowing reviews :D

That's offset by Apple's blackmailing of websites, making sure that those which are too negative to Apple products, don't get invited to future keynotes or get inside info.

True. See my comment above about some of the most negative comments coming from Apple fans themselves.

21. shayneox macrumors member

shayneox

22. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

It's not new. It always happen in a highly competitive market. Cough cough. Companies saying bad things about its competitor.

23. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

You have a good point, inasmuch as any company that's at the top... is always on the receiving end of extra scrutiny. That's just how it is.

However I do think Apple can be it's own worst enemy due to the ongoing thread of narcissism and self congratulatory behaviour that runs through their every launch. When you ad in their love of hypocrisy and posturing, you end up with a company that's easier to hate than others.

24. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

25. BillyTrimble macrumors 6502a

Perhaps to counter all the absolutely absurd derogatory threads that are created for no other reason than to stir the pot. If you don't like the watch, fine. Go some else to complain. After all this time, I think every possible negative thing has been said other than for every person who want to return the watch or not get feeling a need to tell the world about it. Just move on.