Why aluminum isn't the cause of the bending reports - Interesting read

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kalebnate, Sep 26, 2014.

1. kalebnate, Sep 26, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2014

kalebnate macrumors 6502

On a reply to the bending video posted on reddit : (click for source)

This counters the idea of people discussing here and around different forums that aluminum usage in the iPhone was a bad choice. Someone actually replied here and told me it was a bad decision from their part that they chose aluminum, hopefully this explains that they use alloys to strengthen the material, they're not using aluminum foil.

Further explanation to the type of alloy Apple chose in their design.

Many people, including me, were wondering why does it always bend near the volume buttons, indicating a possible structural weakness there. This sheds some light on the issue and explains why.

Further explanation to design choice and avoiding plastic. Apple wanted to keep the premium feel and did not want to incorporate other materials because that might delay production and release dates, something no one is fond of.

The final argument. This has been aggressively discussed on all networks regarding how the galaxy note does not bend because it is plastic, and is therefore more superior to the iPhone's design. However, they do mention that this whole bending issue could have been avoided by a redesign to the phone's structure.

I advise you continue reading at the source's link as it is an interesting one, and can aid in understanding what was going on based on the commenter's thoughts (they sound like they know what they're talking about). You can also follow up with the hundred replies to that post with opinions from all sides.

I hope you find this thread useful, what's your thoughts ? Agree or disagree with what they say ?

2. Epiphron macrumors regular

3. kalebnate thread starter macrumors 6502

I will in OP

4. westrock2000 macrumors 6502

Makes me wonder if there is some type of skeleton or webbing inside. Unfortunately doing so would add thickness which is probably where engineering lost out to the marketing.

When people around me said "Guess you have to get a case for it then", I said how can a plastic case offer more protection then aluminum?!?!? Unless you're talking a monster case.

5. kalebnate thread starter macrumors 6502

Because some people think the phone is made out of aluminum foil. This is why I felt that more people need to read this guy's thoughts on the issue, they're using strengthened alloys (obviously), but some people can't seem to understand that (as one person replied here a few days back telling me it's their fault for using a weak material).

6. Cash4Jesus macrumors newbie

It's not geometry; that's math. This is physics which is the application of math.

7. kalebnate thread starter macrumors 6502

Is that everything you deduced from the whole post ? :\

8. kalebnate thread starter macrumors 6502

FYI, link has been posted.

9. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Why aluminum isn't the cause of the bending reports - Interesting read

For some of us, the post was not new.
    It was restating the obvious, even if the media monkeys aren't clued in.
    1. The large flat area on rear of iphone vs 2. The arched style on the rear of m8.
    And
    The compromise to the iphone's tub shape at the vol buttons.

None of this is new to some, nor surprising. Nor shocking.

That guy was just pointing out that its physics + geometry. Geometry doesn't deal in forces.

10. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

This fundamental engineering formula sums it up nicely

As the cross sectional area decreases (from drilling holes) the stress goes up.

I noticed in the ifixit teardown what look like metal "bridging" pieces attached to the frame behind the buttons. I'm thinking these are the reinforcing elements Apple referred to yesterday.

11. kalebnate thread starter macrumors 6502

Good for you. Hopefully others can benifit from this.

Also, please avoid discussing geometry and physics noting that they're not connected. Anyone with an engineering background will know that they're heavily intertwined.

12. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Did you even read what you quoted? Where did I say not connected?
    You even directly quote me as stating 'geometry + physics'?

Also... *benefit

13. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Pretty much sums it up.

14. arliu macrumors regular

why are we still talking about this? didnt apple release a statement that the bending is rare...only 9 people contacted apple

15. christyd20 macrumors newbie

I've been getting it in the neck from anyone and everyone about the bending plus, I've been saying it must be the users fault.. I can see my plus starting to bend today, and I have been carrying it around like an egg, taking it out of my pocket every time I sit, never putting any force on it at all, really devastated to see the thing starting to curve

16. jpeg42 macrumors 6502a

jpeg42

Agree this is extremely rare and overblown, but it is silly to trust a corporation like Apple with that statement.

17. lke macrumors 6502a

Use liquidmetal.com and the problem will end.

18. rantor49 macrumors 6502

So it's starting to bend like a noodle just by itself? Either you are seeing things, or maybe it was bent to begin with. How can it bend with "never putting any force on it at all" ? I have one, been in my pocket every day since last Friday. Flat as a pancake. I would take it to apple and have them look at it.

19. Jalopybox macrumors 6502a

Jalopybox

Could there be more contradictions in this?

This isn't right. iPhone's bending problem has nothing to do with aluminum.

You can get extremely rigid alloys that will be incredibly difficult to bend even in thin structures prone to bending (such as 7075)

The reason the phone bends easily and retains it's bend is the thin 6061 non-tempered aluminum and the small material cross section at the button locations. Period.

20. powerstrokin macrumors 6502a

powerstrokin

You want them to build a phone out of a website?

Seriously though, there will always be problems. Nothing is perfect. Or are you saying that liquid metal IS perfect? I beg to differ. Re: Terminator.

21. christyd20 macrumors newbie

It's been put under normal stress, in my front jeans pocket, I don't sit on it in my back pocket, I don't have it in my pocket for hours on end, I haven't put excessive force on it.. I'll post some pics shortly

22. powerstrokin macrumors 6502a

powerstrokin

If it's bendimg, then by definition you HAVE put excessive force on it. Otherwise it would go back to flat. You've exceeded the limits. It can't bend on its own.

23. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

This isn't new information.....

I'm sure this all came up when there was bend-gate for the 5, when pictures were published of the stress point being below the bottom volume down button.

24. christyd20 macrumors newbie

As I said, I haven't put excessive force... I love the plus, have no reason to try and bash it! I love apple so not trying to bash them, if you don't accept what I'm saying, then I don't give two ****s, trying to tell people who are clearly interested in this issue about my experience today, if nobody cares, then I'll not bother

25. jamesrick80 macrumors 68020

jamesrick80

This is why I believe new cases of the bent gate will pop up everyday...prime example ....