Why am I cleaning out the proxies so much now?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by a-m-k, Apr 18, 2019.

1. a-m-k macrumors 65816

a-m-k

I have had a MBP since the Mid-2008 and have never had to clear out the cashes until recently. Why do I have to do it so much now, is it because of this particular OS. (I'm in the BETA version of the forthcoming software.) Will I have to continue to do this after the official release?

2. Stephen.R macrumors 65816

Stephen.R

Can you be more specific about what you’re doing? What caches and/or proxies are you referring to?

3. leman macrumors G3

I am also curious. What software are you talking about? In fact, what are you talking about alltogether? Also, please keep in mind that the 2008 MBP offers less performance than a modern iPhone — so if you are experiencing performance issues, it might be time for an upgrade.

4. a-m-k thread starter macrumors 65816

a-m-k

Go to system preferences>network>advanced>proxies
    There should be nothing checked off. Every time I have a problem with my browser the SOCKS proxie is checked off and I have to unselect it to get my browser to work.

5. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    Something really is not right there; I have been using computers for many years, starting with DOS, moving to Windows and then in 2005 moving to the Mac, and I have never, never needed to mess with the proxies. Once in a while I clear my cache but that is a different function than tinkering with the network settings. Maybe you should take your machine in to the Apple Genius Bar and have someone take a look, see if they can figure out what is going on......

6. a-m-k thread starter macrumors 65816

a-m-k

There are days where I really want to just get rid of this MBP and replace with a MBA, but I keep telling myself I won't until something major happens.

7. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

I think that for many reasons you would be very happy with a new, up-to-date MBA and that the various problems you've been experiencing would be in the past.... For one thing, software will run faster and more smoothly on newer hardware. There will be a bit of adjustment, though, to the ports being USB-C/Thunderbolt 3, meaning that you'll need to get a couple of adapters ("dongles") or buy new cables that have the appropriate connectors on each end. For instance, I am preparing to repurpose an older 5 TB external HDD for archival purposes now (actually a backup to another archival drive) and so recently got a Micro-B - to USB-C cable from Amazon to use with my 2018 MBP, as the original cable is Micro-B - to USB 3, which still works fine in my older MBP. This gives me the flexibility that I'll need for a while to work on and swap older files and folders around between the older and the newer machine. Since I've been shifting over the past couple of years to external SSDs for current backups and supplementary drives, I'm well-covered there and will be for the future, but they are still only 2 TB, which isn't sufficient for my ever-growing archival folders and files. Anyway, although some people grumble about the change in ports on the newer Macs, it all works out fine in the end after the initial adjustment period and figuring out exactly what one needs in the way of adapters and cables so that one can continue to use older external drives and other peripherals.

I would suggest right now with your current MBP that you think about not continuing with the beta program because that is actually throwing something extra into the mix -- more variables -- which makes it difficult to identify what is going on and to determine exactly what may be causing this proxy problem. It may or may not be a factor, but it's hard to know for sure, especially when doing the beta on an older MBP the way you have been. With the new machine once you've got things up and running to your satisfaction you could always resume participating in the beta program if you still want to do so.

Frankly, if I were me I would rather purchase a new machine BEFORE "something major" happens with the older one..... I assume you are backing up all your files regularly so that if a crisis does suddenly occur with the 2012 MBP you'll still have everything that is important to you?

8. a-m-k thread starter macrumors 65816

a-m-k

Could the age of my MBP be a contributing factor in the fact I can't even use Time Machine? (At least the external hard drive.)

9. Stephen.R macrumors 65816

Stephen.R

The proxy issue sounds like a corrupted configuration file. When you change it, the change stays in memory but isn’t written back to the file.

The time machine issue is weird - what exactly happens when you try to use it?

The computer is reasonably old but the issues you have sound more like software issues IMO.

10. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

TimeMachine won't back up while in BETA?
    --- Post Merged, Apr 20, 2019 ---
    Try this:
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8618855

11. a-m-k thread starter macrumors 65816

a-m-k

12. a-m-k thread starter macrumors 65816

a-m-k

I should clarify something. I was reading my first post to this thread, what I meant is that I have had a MBP every year since 2008, not that this MBP is from Mid 2008. This MBP is a Mid 2012.

13. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

And?

14. a-m-k thread starter macrumors 65816

a-m-k

I have decided to add that to my nightly routine. I run Mac mechanic every night before I shut my MBP down. Though, I have problems with bluetooth, it eventually comes back on.

15. tyc0746 macrumors member

Do you realise Mac Mechanic is categorised alongside MacKeeper as unwanted (potentially scam/ad/malware) software.

What do you need it to do that one of the other, respected, freeware apps (Onyx/Maintenance, Cocktail) don't offer?

Also, don't forget that one of the risks of running beta versions of operating systems, is that they may not be 100%, and may break something you rely on...so stick to release versions on a production/live machine.

16. chabig macrumors 603

17. willmtaylor, Apr 29, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2019

willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Food for thought:

https://malwarefixes.com/remove-mac-mechanic/

18. Clix Pix, Apr 29, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2019

Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

We've had that discussion before with the OP about that Mac Mechanic program..... I guess none of us has been able to convince her that it is likely that program is doing more harm than good......

It really is not necessary to run any sort of "cleaning" program on a nightly or regular basis. MacOS does a perfectly fine job of keeping itself clean and tidy by running automatic scripts periodically. I use my computer, and when I am finished I shut it down and that's that. No "cleaning" routine needed. The only time one needs to use any sort of other program is when there is a specific problem or a potential problem.

19. tyc0746 macrumors member

I'd be careful of those websites too, as all the removal tips recommend installing their own version of similar software (something called Freshmac or Combo Cleaner).

You'd probably just be replacing the crap from one company, with crap from another - just re-skinned to look different. They're just fighting over who gets to scam some cash out of you - or to see if they can all scam you by putting up 'fake' security blogs to trick you into believing they're real.

The hint is that it will probably have blurb in there stating something like "trusted" or "100% safe".

20. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Good catch! I skimmed and completely missed that part! :oops: Deleted!

21. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

tyc wrote:
    "Do you realise Mac Mechanic is categorised alongside MacKeeper as unwanted (potentially scam/ad/malware) software."

I'm wondering if that's where her "proxy issues" are COMING FROM ????

22. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

I also wondered the same.

23. jeyf macrumors 65816

i have OS X ELCapitan in a hard wire ethernet 2016 iMac and have nothing checked off
    but
    the box labeled "Bypass proxy settings for hosts & domains:" has some text in it i know i never entered
    also
    the enable box "Use Passive FTM Module (PASV) is asserted
    again i don't remember checking this box off

24. a-m-k thread starter macrumors 65816

a-m-k

I'm actually currently in the BETA version of macOS Mojave.

25. tyc0746 macrumors member

There are too many unknowns on your system to do any more troubleshooting.

I still don’t understand why you’re running a potentially ‘unstable’ beta version of the operating system, instead of a ‘stable’ release version.

Plus, have you removed the crappy MacMechanc software yet, and installed/ran MalwareBytes to remove any other malware that you’ve accidentally installed?