Why an iPad?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Fisher624, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Fisher624 macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I have recently received the green light to buy an iPad. I have an iPhone 4. I love the idea of the iPad, but since the phone serves all my needs (I think) I'm wondering what would I gain by having an iPad, besides a shiny new toy?

I am asking this question on the iPhone forum because I want to know what iPhone users who have an iPad think, not what iPad users who have an iPhone think.

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I am about to get an iPad and have an iPhone 3GS. I want the iPad for the bigger screen real estate and longer battery life.

3. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Aren't these the same people?

4. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

I love mine, yes your right I can do the same thing on my phone. I really use it as a couch, travel, coffee shop computer. I don't think you'll regret it, and if you do just sell it.

5. Fisher624 thread starter macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Yes, I guess they are.

I was hoping to differentiate based on primary usage. I'm sure there are some who are "new" iPad/"old" iPhone users who were having the same debate I am.

6. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

What's the difference between these people?

7. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

Probably primary audience.

8. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Bought iPhone 3GS on launch day. Got 3G iPad when released. Love both. On road...iPhone. At home..iPad. With presbyopia, size matters.

9. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

The iPad forumers (forumers...?) will probably prefer the iPad and won't tell him why he doesn't need it if he already owns an iPhone.

10. topmounter macrumors 68020

topmounter

I have an iPad, but rarely use it for anything. It was great at first, but once the novelty wore off I found myself back at the MBP or iMac because they have a proper keyboard. I know this is heresy, but for me it really is a larger and less portable version of the iPhone or Touch. Also, the back-light seems to make it take longer for me to fall asleep at night (and not in a good way unfortunately), unlike a typical paper book or magazine.

At this point if I had to chose, I'd buy the little MacBook Air instead of the iPad... or at least that's what I would do if I got motivated and sold my iPad.

11. Fisher624 thread starter macrumors regular

@ topmounter

That is my fear. Maybe I should buy yours :)

12. Pine Pienaar macrumors newbie

Your right you don't need it the Iphone 4 does it all. However I love the size and clearness of the Ipad screen its simply great. As such the Ipad is great for watching movies and photos etc. I am a keen photographer and I now put my latest photos on the Ipad and pass it around for my friends to see. As a consultant it is also a great way to do a small presentation to a client on a idea that you want to bring across.
    If you can afford it buy it;)
    Regards
    Pine

13. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

The iPhone 4 makes the iPad not as awesome as it was when it first launched. But that isn't to say that I don't love my iPad. It's replaced my MacBook Air as my go to travel computer and any other time I need more than my phone to accomplish something. My iPad is on the coffee table for use during a commercial or to visit a site I see advertised on TV. I use it to cook with. I load video on it more than anything else.

I'm 50/50 on the gaming thing. Some games are better on the iPad while others aren't so much. Super Mega worm is better on the iPhone that the iPad due to the frame rate problems on the iPad. But the SNES emulator on the iPad is a winner for the most part so...

All I know is that I want the next gen iPad but the iPhone 4 has set the bar pretty high. I know the processor and ram will be upgraded... I'm praying for an even higher res screen. If the iPad was the book reader Apple wants it to be and yet text looks 4 times better on the iPhone 4.... one can only hope they bring a retina screen to the next iPad.

14. MacJones macrumors 6502

I sold my iPad because I couldn't find a good use for it between my iPhone and Macbook.

15. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

16. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

love my ipad. i use it mostly for web surfing twitter and all that good stuff.

17. samcraig macrumors P6

Different devices. Different usage. Nuff said.

18. topmounter macrumors 68020

topmounter

Actually those are two great uses... especially the photos when you're visiting family or whatever.

19. wyneken macrumors regular

I bought an iPhone 4 because I dug my iPad so much. Now that I've been using both daily for a few months, I've found that — without really thinking consciously about it — I've fallen into two distinct usage patterns with the two devices.

On the iPad I do, in order, web browsing, e-mail, writing (mostly short pieces, less than 1,000 words), occasional video-watching, and miscellaneous stuff for my part-time teaching job, like keeping notes and records.

On the iPhone I take, edit and share photographs and videos, make calls, check the weather, set timers and reminders, use Maps sometimes, and generally do all the little stuff you do with a tiny computer that's always in your pocket.

There's a little overlap (e.g. I play games on both, and sometimes check for new email on the phone), but really not much.

For me, I guess the iPad has taken over almost all the tasks I'd normally be doing on a laptop. The iPhone has carved out its own niche, as I've discovered some of the many things it can do. (Maybe I should note that this is my first cell phone and that I'm in my late 50s, with the sort of eyesight that one expects at this age.)

The question now, since I've got serious iDevice fever, is whether I can resist ordering an MB Air.

20. synagence macrumors 6502a

I travel for work a lot (5 days a week in hotels) and i've found the iPad invaluable .... not having to lug laptop around just so i can surf in the evenings .... i love it ... wouldn't be without it ..

My son loves the iPad (3 year old) and can quite happily turn on, unlock, navigate to what app/video he wants all by himself without any training .... he just learned by watching me with the iPhone and iPad

Would love a bit more cpu power and ram so multi-tab browsing is better but i'm happy in general and will probably pick up an iPad 2 when it comes out

21. BigHungry04 macrumors 6502

I use my iPad to read books and watch movies when I have the time. When I'm hanging out at my cigar shop I'm using it to read a book and look up information when one of us is not able to answer something. I bought the iPhone 4 a couple of weeks ago and it did not limit my use of my iPad at all. In my opinion you will probably use the iPad and as long as you feel as though you're going to get a good experience from it you should get it, otherwise don't.

22. malnar macrumors 6502a

malnar

I have both and use both daily. They have different uses. Iphone for more games/twitter, Ipad for browsing/reading/email/facebook/sometimes drawing. I use my Macbook for the absolute basics - ripping CDs, Adobe CS stuff, etc., things that I don't consider "fun," which is what I use the Iphone and Ipad for. I use the Ipad for slightly more serious stuff, and I'd say I use the Ipad a bit more because I use it for longer periods at the end of the day, where the Iphone is used for short periods throughout the day. I often use both side by side (one on email, the other on something else.)

I know it's hard to understand, but I had no real preconceived notions when I got the Ipad. I just let it find a place in my life and it did. I think it's the people who obsessed over what function it had to replace who are unhappy. It doesn't replace anything. Think of this - what did TV replace for people when it first appeared? It didn't replace radio, radio kept going. It was something new. If you want one and can afford it, get it and enjoy it, but don't stress out about what role it has to play in your life.

23. Fisher624 thread starter macrumors regular

Im certainly not stressing out about it. I was really just curious about whether the devices overlap to the point of redundancy.

And thanks to all the replies, it seems that it could be redundant but perhaps only if you want it to be.

I know the iPad is an awesome device. I was just seeing how/if other people use both in their lives.

24. aluren macrumors 65816

The iPad has a bigger screen. It's that simple. When I'm at home, I always use my iPad over my iPhone 4 because it's much easier to view websites and videos. I don't have to zoom in everytime I click a link. My gf uses it alot for recipes while she's cooking. The iPad sits on the counter nicely with a stand where she can view it from a distance comfortably. Hard to do with an iPhone.

25. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

I felt the same way also.