Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 7, 2010
I am reading from posts that the Verizon version is compatible with both GSM and CDMA, and so it works with both T-Mobile and AT&T giving you the most carrier flexibility.

Is there any advantage to getting the T-Mobile or AT&T unlocked iPhone X over Verizon then? Is there higher battery life in the non-Verizon versions because you don't have to support CDMA? or is there some optimization for the T-Mobile and AT&T networks when you use their iPhone versions?

Or is it that Apple has the T-Mobile and AT&T versions just to cut costs for 'cheaper phone manufacturing/higher profit margins for Apple'?

AT&T version of the iPhone sold out first at the Apple store I went to.

Reactions: Zune55

MisterMillz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2011
FL, USA
1. As a T-Mo customer you cannot order a different carrier’s device online during pre-orders. That goes for any carrier. Technically the 1865 models have the advantage in that the Qualcomm chip can run faster (at least with the 7s) and be used across networks. However, unless you intend to switch carriers it doesn’t matter one bit. Its been said a few times that in the future Apple is hoping to run all it’s chips with Intel in order to relieve itself of Qualcomm.

Reactions: myscrnnm

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 7, 2010
1. As a T-Mo customer you cannot order a different carrier’s device online during pre-orders. That goes for any carrier. Technically the 1865 models have the advantage in that the Qualcomm chip can run faster (at least with the 7s) and be used across networks. However, unless you intend to switch carriers it doesn’t matter one bit. Its been said a few times that in the future Apple is hoping to run all it’s chips with Intel in order to relieve itself of Qualcomm.

I am talking about unlocked models where you pay for everything one time. Are you saying that the 1865 models (the Verizon model) actually runs faster than the T-Mobile or AT&T models... even on GSM?

So are you saying that no one who is buying the phone outright should purchase T-Mobile version or AT&T version?

citivolus

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2008
I think you could only preorder the Verizon model if you had a Verizon phone number. Now that the phone has been released, you could presumably go into an Apple Store and buy one full price without the Verizon phone number and pop in your AT&T sim. But that would assume that the Apple Store has the Verizon model in stock...

deadworlds

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2007
Citrus Heights,CA
I bought a T-Mobile phone and paid in full. I never plan on switching to a CDMA carrier so I didn’t get a CDMA phone. Also I don’t think there’s much of a noticeable difference in modems like people are exaggerating. Sure there are tests and videos but on a day to day basis I see no difference.

I think sometimes we as people get caught up on minor details that we blow up into mountains and forget how to enjoy the things we have.

MisterMillz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2011
FL, USA
I understood you the first time. I preordered mine and paid full retail. T-Mobile. If I were a walk-in customer I still likely would’ve walked out with a T-Mobile phone. I fully intend to stay with my carrier. Can not stand Verizon and Sprint has had such an abysmal rep for so long that I wouldn’t go near it even if they were offering free service...wait. MOST known carriers out of the US utilize GSM. So I’m not missing anything there. However, as a customer who wants the most flexibility band-wise should absolutely go in and ask for a Verizon or sprint phone if they’re buying full retail.

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 7, 2010
I can't imagine ever wanting to switch into Verizon or Sprint, but at no loss in performance and added flexibility with NO cost to performance or battery life or weight of the phone, having 'something extra' in the phone as an option seems like getting more bang from the buck.

If there was some news about 'having CDMA in the phone makes it more vulnerable to something' I would be okay with sticking with GSM only. I just find it hard to believe there is no reason to pick up a GSM model. If Apple made sense, they should have manufactured only the Verizon model? The only reason why I see Apple making both is that GSM-only chips are 'cheaper' so they get more profit in manufacturing the T-Mobile or AT&T models.

MisterMillz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2011
FL, USA
I can't imagine ever wanting to switch into Verizon or Sprint, but at no loss in performance and added flexibility with NO cost to performance or battery life or weight of the phone, having 'something extra' in the phone as an option seems like getting more bang from the buck.

If there was some news about 'having CDMA in the phone makes it more vulnerable to something' I would be okay with sticking with GSM only. I just find it hard to believe there is no reason to pick up a GSM model. If Apple made sense, they should have manufactured only the Verizon model? The only reason why I see Apple making both is that GSM-only chips are 'cheaper' so they get more profit in manufacturing the T-Mobile or AT&T models.

This is why I made the comment about intel. They do not have the abilities to produce a CDMA modem yet. That is why Qualcomm is still in the mix. In order to reduce reliability on Qual they have Intel making those modems. Once Intel is able to do CDMA as well, Qual will be out of the picture. I fully understand your “something extra” position but if you aren’t going to use it, it doesn’t matter.

Reactions: madKIR

deadworlds

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2007
Citrus Heights,CA

I’m pretty sure I read an article on macrumors that Apple uses the Qualcomm chip for sprint and Verizon because at the time they were the only ones with CDMA support. They used intel modems because it was cheaper and because they want to get away from Qualcomm(too many legal issues).

Recently intel has acquired a license to start making modems with CDMA so in the future we may see all phone have an intel modem that supports both.

Reactions: MisterMillz

MisterMillz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2011
FL, USA
International support. The different models support different foreign countries. I want mine to work as well as possible in Europe, so I got a TM model (also, I'm with T-Mobile, so that allowed me to take advantage of the $300 trade-in for my 6). Had I wanted it to work best in Australia for example, I'd have bought the Verizon model.

I couldn't care less about CDMA, though.

Holy cow! I first clicked the link and was like “anh” no big deal. Took a second look...there’s like 40+ countries that the 1901 Intel model supports that the 1865 Qualcomm doesn’t! Good grief. One of the important ones for me being Canada. Thanks for pointing this link out. Great info

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 7, 2010
International support. The different models support different foreign countries. I want mine to work as well as possible in Europe, so I got a TM model (also, I'm with T-Mobile, so that allowed me to take advantage of the $300 trade-in for my 6). Had I wanted it to work best in Australia for example, I'd have bought the Verizon model.

Okay so Qualcomm potential speed aside on the Verizon model looks like international support is better on the GSM models... good to know! I was so ready to use Verizon until I saw this...

What’s special about those other countries? Arent the bands the same for GSM?

Zune55

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2015
I am reading from posts that the Verizon version is compatible with both GSM and CDMA, and so it works with both T-Mobile and AT&T giving you the most carrier flexibility.

Is there any advantage to getting the T-Mobile or AT&T unlocked iPhone X over Verizon then? Is there higher battery life in the non-Verizon versions because you don't have to support CDMA? or is there some optimization for the T-Mobile and AT&T networks when you use their iPhone versions?

Or is it that Apple has the T-Mobile and AT&T versions just to cut costs for 'cheaper phone manufacturing/higher profit margins for Apple'?

AT&T version of the iPhone sold out first at the Apple store I went to.

I just opened a thread because there’s some wrong info out here. I was told i wont be able to use T-Mo x on VZW which is wrong. I am using VZW on t-mo x everything is working perfectly. Maybe ppl don’t know whether this combination will work that’s why they are buying att & tmo if they have att and tmo carrier.

orbitalpunk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2006
aside from carrier choice, I think it comes down to modem choice. Verizon and Sprint get the Qualcomm modem where tomb and ATT get the Intel modem.

rychu

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2013

I think that the link just shows you what’s going to be available per country/provider but not necessarily what’s going to work for that country. But maybe Apple can clarify better.

eneisch

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
I just opened a thread because there’s some wrong info out here. I was told i wont be able to use T-Mo x on VZW which is wrong. I am using VZW on t-mo x everything is working perfectly. Maybe ppl don’t know whether this combination will work that’s why they are buying att & tmo if they have att and tmo carrier.

My understanding is that the t-mobile model will work with Verizon as long as you have LTE coverage. If LTE signal drops the phone can’t switch to CDMA 3G and drops the call and you will have “no service”.

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 7, 2010

Why do the countries differ between the Verizon model and the others (T-Mobile and AT&T)? Is it more than just bands? I am confused looking at the list of countries... I thought support for GSM means you get all GSM countries. Doesn’t make sense to me why supported countries differ between Qualcomm and Intel chips.

jetlagged

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2012
i bought the T-mobile iphone X full price because I planned to re-sell it. From the topic I read in this forum, it was more convenient to sell it without having to give away my last 4 digits of social security and zip code. I currently own an iPhone SE, and its the verizon cdma model. I would never buy a gsm only model (t-mo, att) I find having more bands convenient for travel purposes.

This was the topic that I read

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...-how-to-sell-an-iphone-you-purchased.2082978/

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 7, 2010
Can somebody answer the question why the page on T-Mobile and AT&T version have more supported carriers than the Verizon in countries like Canada?
Which model do they give to IUP customers?
Unless you pay all upfront, all is carrier locked.

Zune55

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2015
aside from carrier choice, I think it comes down to modem choice. Verizon and Sprint get the Qualcomm modem where tomb and ATT get the Intel modem.

Which one you prefer and why?
[doublepost=1509772496][/doublepost]
Holy cow! I first clicked the link and was like “anh” no big deal. Took a second look...there’s like 40+ countries that the 1901 Intel model supports that the 1865 Qualcomm doesn’t! Good grief. One of the important ones for me being Canada. Thanks for pointing this link out. Great info

Wow 40+ countries that’s a lot, before i use to thought verizon is better.

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 7, 2010
Which one you prefer and why?
[doublepost=1509772496][/doublepost]

Wow 40+ countries that’s a lot, before i use to thought verizon is better.

Someone please help me answer why Intel supports more countries than Qualcomm... is it more than just the bands? I thought no matter what phone you have, you get identical bands right?

mjr1000

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2017
Why do the countries differ between the Verizon model and the others (T-Mobile and AT&T)? Is it more than just bands? I am confused looking at the list of countries... I thought support for GSM means you get all GSM countries. Doesn’t make sense to me why supported countries differ between Qualcomm and Intel chips.
These are the models each country is getting, not which countries are supported by one phone or another. The two models have the exact same GSM bands/capabilities. So, the Qualcomm phone will work in any GSM country and any CDMA country. It’s the most versatile.
[doublepost=1509774736][/doublepost]
Can somebody answer the question why the page on T-Mobile and AT&T version have more supported carriers than the Verizon in countries like Canada?

Unless you pay all upfront, all is carrier locked.
Again - that is the list of models being sold in each country. Countries with only GSM networks (most) have no need for the CDMA phone.

jiangning

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2010
Someone please help me answer why Intel supports more countries than Qualcomm... is it more than just the bands? I thought no matter what phone you have, you get identical bands right?

The list by Apple only indicates which version is BEING SOLD by each carrier in each country, not supported. To see if one version is supported, you will look at bands. I believe (I could be wrong) that 1865 supports all what 1901 supports and more.

dave006

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
It is not about supporting or being supported in more Countries. The key is to have an iPhone X that works in all the places that you want it to use your iPhone X.

If that was the key requirement then the Japan version of the iPhone X Model 1902 would be the best since it has the most LTE bands. However it is missing some bands that would work for both the AT&T / Verizon. Go look at the link provided and please spend some time studying the Facts instead of creating these random Threads.

Link: https://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/#iphone-X

Just to make it easy for everyone, both the 1865 model Verizon / Sprint and the 1901 model AT&T / T-Mobile share the exact same GSM LTE Bands!

Apple has made a business decision to limit the use of CDMA hardware where every possible as long as Qualcomm is holding the world hostage to high license fees for technology that they did not even create!

Dave

Reactions: protoxx and NoBoMac
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.