Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bootleg Gucci

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2013
NoVA
I tried buying a Verizon iPhone X. However I needed a Verizon account to do so, on Apple's Store app.

Same here but I sacrificed some sleep time and lined up early at an Apple Store when they got huge shipment yesterday (check istocknow.com 6am your local time). 1st come 1st serve. We bought Verizon A1865 iPhone X’s in store and activated on AT&T sim no issues.

MacDevil7334

Contributor
Oct 15, 2011
Austin TX
Same here but I sacrificed some sleep time and lined up early at an Apple Store when they got huge shipment yesterday (check istocknow.com 6am your local time). 1st come 1st serve. We bought Verizon A1865 iPhone X’s in store and activated on AT&T sim no issues.
Is the stock that’s visible online all the stock the store has or did they have a separate supply for walk ins? Debating switching out my intel version for the A1865 model since I paid in full and would rather have the world version. My problem is, every time my local stores have shown stock at 6, it’s gone by the time the store opens at 10. So, there’s no point in going over there unless they have a separate stock for walk ins.

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
This is why you buy using Apple up. You don't have to worry about resale and if you need to switch to a CDMA carrier Apple will swap the phone out for you. If your going to plop almost 1500 down now (phone+ AppleCare) then yes go with the Qualcomm version if you don't have to go through hoops.

Didn't have the time to sift through this entire thread, but in my mind the reason to buy A1865 is resale value...when you are ready to upgrade and sell, a GSM+CDMA will appeal to a broader audience. Even if it is just a perceived difference, it may help you sell your used phone faster.
[doublepost=1510325404][/doublepost]Not exactly correct. The intel works fine in Asia. I went to HK, Taiwan and Thailand recently with the Intel 7+ and had perfect LTE/reception.

There may be a rare case if you are in some remote area where there is only EDGE or CDMA you may have a slight advantage in speed assuming your carrier (Tmobile/ATT) will allow you to use the CDMA. All the LTE/4G bands are the same

Long story short if its just as easy to procure the Qualcomm vs Intel then get the QC its a no brainer. If you have to go through all these hoops to get it you will find its not worth the trouble. Many of us don't have 1500 (phone plus AC) to plop down up front here for a phone during the holidays so the Apple up plan is the way to go. You don't need to worry about reselling the phone which I hate dealing with and if you need to switch to a CDMA carrier Apple will swap out the phone for you no charge.

Other option is to wait for the sim freee version but you still have to pay full price at once.

I'm happy that in China and Hong Kong they only sell the A1865 model.

However, if you're not taking an in-depth look at all the bands it supports it's quite unclear.

Apple's LTE help site basically says... it's for Asia + USA while the other model A1901(?) is for USA + Europe.

After reading this thread, i basically figured out (correct me if i'm wrong)

Model A1865: Global model, supports every country around the globe.
Model A1901(?): basically focused on USA + Europe ?

Therefore the A1865 model is the "superior" model?

Bootleg Gucci

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2013
NoVA
Is the stock that’s visible online all the stock the store has or did they have a separate supply for walk ins? Debating switching out my intel version for the A1865 model since I paid in full and would rather have the world version. My problem is, every time my local stores have shown stock at 6, it’s gone by the time the store opens at 10. So, there’s no point in going over there unless they have a separate stock for walk ins.

Yes, there is separate walk-in stock available but specifically for Verizon 256 units, the Apple Store we lined up
at yesterday had about 10 units, and each person in line bought 2 (maximum). Apple online showed out of stock for Verizon 256 at that store, but
this was part of the huge shipment Wednesday.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
After reading this thread, i basically figured out (correct me if i'm wrong)

Model A1865: Global model, supports every country around the globe.
Model A1901(?): basically focused on USA + Europe ?

Therefore the A1865 model is the "superior" model?

Correct in spirit, but not in fact.

Both the A1865 and A1901 support every country around the globe.

The A1901 only has a GSM radio in it so it can only connect to GSM towers and receive GSM signals.

The A1865 has both a GSM radio in it and a CDMA radio in it so it can connect to both GSM and CDMA towers and receive both GSM and CDMA signals.

GSM is far more popular worldwide than CDMA. There is a ton of GSM connectivity in every country with brilliant LTE connectivity. 95% of world travelers will have no issues with the A1901 and awesome LTE speeds on GSM networks in Europe, Asia, Middle East, everywhere, it's nothing you really need to worry about. Unless...

....you wind up in some small villages or provinces in places like China, South America, and Africa. GSM isn't everywhere. In some locations only CDMA exists. And, in even more cases, even though both GSM and CDMA co-exist, GSM is only 3G where CDMA is LTE. It's in that 5% scenario that having an A1865 dual-band iPhone X is beneficial as you have both GSM and CDMA radios for connectivity.

Bottom line is that 95% of the iPhone X buying public doesn't have to worry about having an A1865, doesn't need to stress about anything in this thread. It's really for frequent world travelers who wind up in some obscure places. I'm one of them. I am in small towns looking at factories in China, Europe, and South America. For me, CDMA is a must-have.

Wags

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2006
Nebraska, USA
This is why you buy using Apple up. You don't have to worry about resale and if you need to switch to a CDMA carrier Apple will swap the phone out for you. If your going to plop almost 1500 down now (phone+ AppleCare) then yes go with the Qualcomm version if you don't have to go through hoops.

Problem is you would need to start new contract for iup if switched and new 12 month start.

eplchamps

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2017
I’ve used my version unlocked iPhones and galaxies in England, S.Arabia, UAE, Philippines, Ghana, Nigeria, Qatar, Switzerland and France. Never came across a cdma carrier in all these places.

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
Incorrect. They will just swap out the phone for you if you are on Up. You will have to visit a store thought. Your payments etc stay the same. Only thing that changes is you carrier.

Problem is you would need to start new contract for iup if switched and new 12 month start.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
I’ve used my version unlocked iPhones and galaxies in England, S.Arabia, UAE, Philippines, Ghana, Nigeria, Qatar, Switzerland and France. Never came across a cdma carrier in all these places.

Two things:

First, how would you know? It's not like the phone makes it easy for you to see what network you are roaming on and the underlying technology it is utilizing.

Second, these things tend to be very carrier specific. The reason Verizon customers must have a dual band phone is because there isn't that much CDMA internationally. But 5% of the time there is no GSM and you need CDMA. It's in that small margin that the A1865 shows it's value.

John-F

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2011
Two things:

First, how would you know? It's not like the phone makes it easy for you to see what network you are roaming on and the underlying technology it is utilizing.

Second, these things tend to be very carrier specific. The reason Verizon customers must have a dual band phone is because there isn't that much CDMA internationally. But 5% of the time there is no GSM and you need CDMA. It's in that small margin that the A1865 shows it's value.
Some of us do know which countries and networks use which technology or technologies and for me and I assume, many, it is not 5% of the time CDMA would be needed but 0%.

Also interesting is you question how some would know which technology they need when they say they don't need CDMA, yet you know that CDMA is needed for yourself. Not doubting your situation, but again YMMV.

daijholt

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2013
Wales, UK
Two things:

Europe uses GSM exclusively as its mandated by law that all networks run on it. Can’t speak for the Arab Emirates, but we’ve never had to worry about cdma in the UK (thankfully). Qualcomm has no hold here! Even Samsung use their own Exynos chips here instead of snapdragon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.