Why Apple didn't allow videos/hands on with the 4S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jst1217, Oct 8, 2011.

1. jst1217 macrumors newbie

It seemed pretty odd to me why Apple didn't allow bloggers and reporters to go hands on with the 4S after their conference. I believe that Siri is not as functional as they are claiming. Don't get me wrong, Im sure its a working feature, but I strongly believe it doesn't run as smooth as they make it out to be. Especially since they claim its still 'beta'. Since this is one of the biggest features in a phone that is already getting bad press, I don't think they wanted reporters using Siri and writing about how it doesn't work as good as Apple claims. What does everybody else think. It seems odd they wouldn't let press play with a device that they just announced.

2. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

PRobably wouldn't be best to use it in a crowded room filled with other people who all want to use Siri too...

3. cward0715 macrumors regular

Reporters did get hands on and were able to play with Siri, they just couldn't video it.

4. fanboy05 macrumors regular

they did. engadget and several others played with the 4s and did their write ups.

5. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

This, and what Appleguy123 said.

Siri is for one-on-one usage, not a crowded room full of noise (although I am very surprised that my current iPhone 4 is able to detect what I said in a noisy situation).

6. jst1217 thread starter macrumors newbie

I mean if its only for 1 on 1 usage, can I not use it when I leave my house? If its going to be functional, it should stand up to the test of a crowded city or room.

7. theDUB macrumors 6502a

theDUB

pwnt

8. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Engadget did a hands on and they were very impressed with Siri.

The most impressive part was the demo of Siri, the new assistant that lets you do just about anything you can do on your phone -- but with your voice. We tried to psych it out with a bunch of random requests, including the history of Chester, Vermont (a lovely town) and the best Ramen places in San Francisco. Siri never faltered, never missed a beat. It worked as well as Scott's demo up on the stage. There's nothing better to say than that. We even sent ourselves a few text messages, which Siri transcribed to a T. Of course, the lady on the other end still sounds eerily robotic, but we're hoping for smoother responses from the alien within in a future update.

9. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

So are you expecting Siri to be able to decode and decipher what you said in a room full of people (20+) all talking at the same time with ambient noise in the background while you make a voice command? Yes, Siri is beta, yes its a new technology and yes it is smart, but this is not HAL9000 or Rosie.

10. jst1217 thread starter macrumors newbie

[​IMG]

11. cward0715 macrumors regular

One of the best gifs I've seen. Well played.