Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theroyalgoyal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 18, 2014
For as long as I can remember I have had some sort of Apple product, whether that be iPod, or MacBook or iPhone. Then I discovered the Galaxy Note 4. I didn't want to admit it, but I thought "Wow, this is really better than iOS". I also started to realize how much I hated the ugly bezels on iPhone and iOS 7 was simply unusable, the user experience no longer was better on iOS.

Then, another thing happened. I went to Best Buy and triied the Galaxy Tab/NotePRO lineup. And I've wanted the NotePRO 12.2 ever since, and now I'm going to try selling my iPad to attempt to get it. I've also recently started learning various programming languages so the ability to actually code for a mobile OS without buying an overpriced and walled Mac is awesome.

But my main reasons for switching to Android:
Customizability. Just changing backgrounds and app orientation isn't good enough for me.
Open Source. If I'm going to build apps, I want to be able to use any computer I want, not a specialized one.
Features. Features such as widgets (in how I feel is the right way), larger screens, custom launchers/keyboards/ROMs and removable batteries are going to really help improve my smartphone and tablet experience.
Fragmentation. iOS is simply unusable now because of fragmentation. Apple turned an amazing product into their own "toxic hellstew" Android is really just "free will" at this point. Even if my phone doesn't get the newest software, I have the choice to slap on a new launcher, theme and/or keyboard and call it a "software update".
Standard Connectors. This is technically a feature, but it deserves a bullet point of its own. By using microUSB, I can almost guarantee that I'll be able to use my current cords for at least 10 years with pretty much any other phone, casual camera, hard drive, computer, flash drive or portable battery. This is amazing, and I can't believe Apple hasn't changed their charger standard yet.

I figure that I might as well give my opinions on all mobile platforms for a negligible reason that may or may not actually add to the value of this post.

iOS:
iOS is still what I'd recommend for kids and old people. It's a simple user experience with really no good value. The design, while basically being a grid, is minimalistic, secure, easy-to-use and plain. This is sufficient for many people, I just happen to not be in that group.

Android:
Android is a great OS, but it can be complicated for some non-tech-savvy users, which is what I see with a lot of Apple users. I'd recommend it to anyone who wants something more than iOS, and/or someone with a more artistic flair and a need for customizability. And with Android Lollipop, I don't think there's ever a reason to go back.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Man, I just love it when people come here and insult those that don't use the same platform as they do.:rolleyes:

That was quite the steaming pile of horse manure you just dumped here OP.

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
I have both an iPhone and an Android. While I love my Note 3 and use it every day for my music and pictures, it's just too big for a phone. It's perfectly synced to my car via BT so it plays music as soon as it connects. Never could get my 5c or 5s to do that. Guess it's a compatibility issue.

I think the tech junkie in me loves flashing ROMs and messing with kernels. So I'll always need my fix with Android.

However for a phone, I'm just more happy with Apple's call quality. Now that iOS 8 can use Swype, I'm pretty satisfied with my set up!

Congrats on the Note!!! ^_^

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Why Apple has lost me forever!

It's great to have a choice.

The main reason I personally have no interest in Android isn't because of the OS, it's because the ecosystem is nowhere near as good as iOS. It really comes down to the amount of apps and accessories a particular system has. iOS is tops in that regard.

My iPhone is just one part in a giant home system I have that all works together. It'll in only get better with HomeKit. I'll admit that Android is gaining in that area but they still have a long way to go to catch up.

orestes1984

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2005
Australia
That's the thing, Android gives the user too many options leading to a confusing "hellstew" of different options to do simple tasks. Just look at Huwawei phones as an example.

If that's not bad enough the mishmash of themes and the lack of a standard user interface makes the whole experience hell, particularly for a new user.

OceanView

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2005
Welcome to 2012! ha ha :D

I felt that way back in 2011 when I started looking outside of Apple and haven't looked back. I did buy the iPhone 6 this time around to see what I was missing but have since bought a Note 4 and will be selling my iPhone.

It's good to have choices which is good for competition and progress.

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
After being all-in on Apple a few years ago I'm now slowly backing out of the Apple ecosystem, but I'm not yet sure if I'll ever completely leave.

Computer - now use Windows. I just came to realise this was more useful for me for work purposes, even though I really like Macs and OS X. I'll only go back to Macs if I change career.

Phone - I like the vast array of hardware, software, and pricing options that Android offers. I doubt I'll go back to iPhone.

Tablet - This is where I think I'll stay in the Apple ecosystem. I love the educational and reference apps available on iPad (e.g. iTunesU). A class above what you get in other ecosystems.

TV Set-top box. have been using Apple TV for years, but I'm very impressed Android TV (what we have seen so far anyway). I expect I'm going to switch to Android TV in the next few months.

Kariya

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2010
iOS:
iOS is still what I'd recommend for kids and old people. It's a simple user experience with really no good value. The design, while basically being a grid, is minimalistic, secure, easy-to-use and plain. This is sufficient for many people, I just happen to not be in that group.

Yeah. Because ONLY old people and kids use iOS :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Man, I just love it when people come here and insult those that don't use the same platform as they do.:rolleyes:

That was quite the steaming pile of horse manure you just dumped here OP.

Lol, you mean the way you just did?

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009

633556119599032746.jpg

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
Oh! The Drama Llama.....must choose just one mobile platform...

...FOREVER

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006

It irks me when I see people say that. The OP also thinks only non-tech-savvy people use iOS. I know programmers who use iOS and I know old people who can't even tell me the brand of their phone who use Android.

And then there are some of us who are tech-savvy and use both iOS and Android. I go back and forth.

Kariya

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2010
It irks me when I see people say that. The OP also thinks only non-tech-savvy people use iOS. I know programmers who use iOS and I know old people who can't even tell me the brand of their phone who use Android.

And then there are some of us who are tech-savvy and use both iOS and Android. I go back and forth.

Same here

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013

I agree. Sometimes I'd like to just enjoy different platforms. Yes, I've got an Android. Yes, I've got a BlackBerry. Yes, I've even tried a slew of WP's. Do I consider myself tech savvy? Yes, I do.

However, that doesn't mean the simplicity of iOS is for old ladies and the technology challenged! I happen to enjoy it too when things just work. Just live and let live right?

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US

Yep....same here I use and like both.........

sotorious

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2010
I have both an iPhone and an Android. While I love my Note 3 and use it every day for my music and pictures, it's just too big for a phone. It's perfectly synced to my car via BT so it plays music as soon as it connects. Never could get my 5c or 5s to do that. Guess it's a compatibility issue.

I think the tech junkie in me loves flashing ROMs and messing with kernels. So I'll always need my fix with Android.

However for a phone, I'm just more happy with Apple's call quality. Now that iOS 8 can use Swype, I'm pretty satisfied with my set up!

Congrats on the Note!!! ^_^
Yea I just came from an iPhone. The iPhone acts like a phone very well while android is a media machine

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Yep....same here I use and like both.........

Unless work pays for it, there is no way I am supporting two lines. Buying another phone and switching sims is not really worth it for the benefits...of which to me there is none.

I would rather my "geekness" be satisfied in other ways rather than multiple phones.

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
Im actually waiting to get ipad air2... IF.... :D im anxious to see if there is more than 1gb ram. I sold my air1 because it was clear that 1gb isnt enough (if you disagree, your choice - i dont change my mind). But iphone? That aint gonna happen... today, i checked my travel card via nfc in my phone to see if i have money on the card or not. if i had had iphone, i should have gone to a nearest station to check that. I usually buy time, but now i have few dayoffs and i dont have time on my card, but needed money to pay a ticket. Anyway... i can check by the same app how much time i have left on my card. Very handy...

Oh, and... updating mbpr went fine!

I dont think you need to be a braniac to use android nowadays - not more than with ios.

Last edited:

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
Brand new member, just registered. One post. Going on about how they have discovered a Galaxy Note 4, including perfect capitalisation of "notePRO".

El3ctronics

macrumors 65816
Mar 30, 2011
NYC
Android is amazing. Touchwiz is ****. If you think Samsung's OS is great, wait until you try a good version of Android like stock, CM11, or even HTC Sense 6.

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
I have to say, i like tw =) however after two years i replaced tw home by nova. Just for fun and to get more...

But i dont know would i go back to tw home, because im using so many functions nova has...

ecrispy

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2013
iOS isn't just for kids and old people. But it is also true that Android isn't for geeks.

In fact more and more both of them are converging. iOS is no longer simple, fast and bug free. They have had to borrow too much from Android just to stay competitive, its now a complex OS with bugs.

Android with L is becoming simpler and more intuitive and much faster/smoother.

Its a great time for users. Traditionally Apple users are extremely loyal, to a fault, and maybe they should consider the alternative.

I am an Android user but have bought iPhones for family due to simplicity. That might change now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.