Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SolarShane

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2014
Nice to see Samsung is still keeping the trolls employed. Everyone's got to eat.

To the users that post this and similar:

This forum is called the "Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices".

The description of the forum is: "Discussion of non-Apple smartphones, tablets, and watches; their operating systems; comparisons with Apple products"

If you don't like the posts on this forum, THEN DON'T COME IN HERE!

Damn iTrolls! This forum isn't for you.

ecrispy

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2013
Care to list some examples? I don't think thats true at all

Yes. iOS still has some nice exclusive apps, but for vast majority of users both stores have enough of nice apps. One exception is music creation which Android couldn't do till now due to audio lag, fixed in L. Also iOS has of course much more tablet focused apps.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
Nice to see Samsung is still keeping the trolls employed. Everyone's got to eat.

So someone disagrees with you and they're a "troll." Open your mind a bit huh?

And yea this is the Alternative section. If you don't like alternatives to iOS, then why come here in the first place...:rolleyes:

JHUFrank

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
Android is amazing. Touchwiz is ****. If you think Samsung's OS is great, wait until you try a good version of Android like stock, CM11, or even HTC Sense 6.

I am still trying to figure out the big difference in the versions of Android. I have had motorola, htc, samsung and nexus products. To me, the OS is virtually the same.

JHUFrank

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
Same here

Another here. I find the iphone plus an Android tablet my most compelling kit. Android gives me a lot of piratey apps that allow me to do some wifi penetration work at my job, and has 2 or 3 other apps I can't live without. Iphone I find much better in email and contacts, and my multimedia stuff. (Yes, I have used touchdown, ugh). Bottom line, love both platforms.

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
For as long as I can remember I have had some sort of Apple product, whether that be iPod, or MacBook or iPhone. Then I discovered the Galaxy Note 4. I didn't want to admit it, but I thought "Wow, this is really better than iOS". I also started to realize how much I hated the ugly bezels on iPhone and iOS 7 was simply unusable, the user experience no longer was better on iOS.

Then, another thing happened. I went to Best Buy and triied the Galaxy Tab/NotePRO lineup. And I've wanted the NotePRO 12.2 ever since, and now I'm going to try selling my iPad to attempt to get it. I've also recently started learning various programming languages so the ability to actually code for a mobile OS without buying an overpriced and walled Mac is awesome.

But my main reasons for switching to Android:
Customizability. Just changing backgrounds and app orientation isn't good enough for me.
Open Source. If I'm going to build apps, I want to be able to use any computer I want, not a specialized one.
Features. Features such as widgets (in how I feel is the right way), larger screens, custom launchers/keyboards/ROMs and removable batteries are going to really help improve my smartphone and tablet experience.
Fragmentation. iOS is simply unusable now because of fragmentation. Apple turned an amazing product into their own "toxic hellstew" Android is really just "free will" at this point. Even if my phone doesn't get the newest software, I have the choice to slap on a new launcher, theme and/or keyboard and call it a "software update".
Standard Connectors. This is technically a feature, but it deserves a bullet point of its own. By using microUSB, I can almost guarantee that I'll be able to use my current cords for at least 10 years with pretty much any other phone, casual camera, hard drive, computer, flash drive or portable battery. This is amazing, and I can't believe Apple hasn't changed their charger standard yet.

I figure that I might as well give my opinions on all mobile platforms for a negligible reason that may or may not actually add to the value of this post.

iOS:
iOS is still what I'd recommend for kids and old people. It's a simple user experience with really no good value. The design, while basically being a grid, is minimalistic, secure, easy-to-use and plain. This is sufficient for many people, I just happen to not be in that group.

Android:
Android is a great OS, but it can be complicated for some non-tech-savvy users, which is what I see with a lot of Apple users. I'd recommend it to anyone who wants something more than iOS, and/or someone with a more artistic flair and a need for customizability. And with Android Lollipop, I don't think there's ever a reason to go back.

That bolded part...wow. I am NOT a "Kid" or a "old person"

Do you know there are probably far more average consumers buying Android phones because they are cheap?

FYI, Android is not complicated at all for non tech savvy people so please pull head out of sand.

----------

The description of the forum is: "Discussion of non-Apple smartphones, tablets, and watches; their operating systems; comparisons with Apple products"

Oh get over yourself. Many people here use both iPhones and Android devices so don't tell us what to do. His "opinions" are downright insulting regarding what iOS users are.

The OP surely realises that Android has 80% marketshare and there is no way all of those people are tech savvy.

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
iOS isn't just for kids and old people. But it is also true that Android isn't for geeks.

In fact more and more both of them are converging. iOS is no longer simple, fast and bug free. They have had to borrow too much from Android just to stay competitive, its now a complex OS with bugs.

Android with L is becoming simpler and more intuitive and much faster/smoother.

Its a great time for users. Traditionally Apple users are extremely loyal, to a fault, and maybe they should consider the alternative.

I am an Android user but have bought iPhones for family due to simplicity. That might change now.

Wut?? Have you seen the #SamsungKnights on Google plus? If you think Apple users are loyal, boy, you have NOT seen them in action.

----------

I own an iphone and apple products, but I will be the first to say apple fanboy's are far worse than any others.

Then you haven't met a Samsung or Nexus elitist. You really haven't then. Or come to think of it....WP fanboys are even worse than the Samsung tools.

Kariya

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2010
I own an iphone and apple products, but I will be the first to say apple fanboy's are far worse than any others.

I used to think that but now i'm not really sure. Apple fanboys (hardcore ones) are usually just ignorant about the current status of Android.

Android fans full-on hate Apple users or at least view them with severe disdain and attack them accordingly. They go after the platform less and the users more.

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
I used to think that but now i'm not really sure. Apple fanboys (hardcore ones) are usually just ignorant about the current status of Android.

Android fans full-on hate Apple users or at least view them with severe disdain and attack them accordingly. They go after the platform less and the users more.

Do you know, at school I was verbally assaulted while talking to my friend about getting an iphone 6? Or how Google Plus calls anyone that uses iOS morons?

Yeah Android fans are FAR FAR worse.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Yes. iOS still has some nice exclusive apps, but for vast majority of users both stores have enough of nice apps. One exception is music creation which Android couldn't do till now due to audio lag, fixed in L. Also iOS has of course much more tablet focused apps.

An ecosystem isn't just apps. It's hardware accessories as well and how well everything integrates.

fredaroony

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2011

Pretty much what I thought...nothing.

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010

So someone disagrees with you and they're a "troll." Open your mind a bit huh?

And yea this is the Alternative section. If you don't like alternatives to iOS, then why come here in the first place...:rolleyes:

When you have someone who signs up same day, posts a diatribe like that and then never posts again.....it's going to raise suspicion. Especially when it's been documented that Samsung pays trolls to go online to sites like this to talk them up.

yaboyac29

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2014
iOS isn't just for kids and old people. But it is also true that Android isn't for geeks.

In fact more and more both of them are converging. iOS is no longer simple, fast and bug free. They have had to borrow too much from Android just to stay competitive, its now a complex OS with bugs.

Android with L is becoming simpler and more intuitive and much faster/smoother.

Its a great time for users. Traditionally Apple users are extremely loyal, to a fault, and maybe they should consider the alternative.

I am an Android user but have bought iPhones for family due to simplicity. That might change now.

if apple doesn't release a feature:

"YOUR PHONE DOESN'T HAVE IT HAHA MINES BETTER!!111!!" -android user

apple adds said feature:

"LOL I HAD THIS FEATURE IN 1936. CAN'T BELIEVE IT TOOK YOU SOOOOOOO LONG TO GET IT" - android user

either way, it's a lose/lose situation for Apple due to all the morons out there.

also, there hasn't been any new groundbreaking features in either platform for a while. we've hit a point where pretty much everything exists..

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
I fully Agree with the op's comments, my iPad air is a mess as well as my friends iphone 6 laggy plus. The note 4 is the ultimate smartphone this year and I totally love this amazing fast non-laggy, real multitasking real pop up windows,real web browsing without tab reloads and actual real widgets ....oh I forgot and 3gb of ram so all applications can be ran without shutting down.

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
I fully Agree with the op's comments, my iPad air is a mess as well as my friends iphone 6 laggy plus. The note 4 is the ultimate smartphone this year and I totally love this amazing fast non-laggy, real multitasking real pop up windows,real web browsing without tab reloads and actual real widgets ....oh I forgot and 3gb of ram so all applications can be ran without shutting down.

I was expecting maybe for once you would show objectivity, back to the ignore list you go...

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
Seriously, I used to be an Androidian fangirl. It's not fun once you realize that you are letting yourself become boxed in.

Android is better. So is Apple. Wait, So is BlackBerry! Oh and Windows Phone too!

We are a product of all we have thought. If you think it's better, then it is.... To you!

I love technology. No matter what package it comes in.

vgamedude

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2013
I was expecting maybe for once you would show objectivity, back to the ignore list you go...

Not sure what was non objective about his statement, it was anecdotal yes, but that's the nature of opinions written here.

He compared lag and lack of RAM on his ios devices to the note 4. Objectivity might not be the best word because as it stands what you said barely makes any sense.

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
Not sure what was non objective about his statement, it was anecdotal yes, but that's the nature of opinions written here.

He compared lag and lack of RAM on his ios devices to the note 4. Objectivity might not be the best word because as it stands what you said barely makes any sense.

It makes perfect sense. He says **** like the iPad Air is laggy and things like how the Note 4 is the best smartphone etc... that is pure fanboyism.

flameproof

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2011
I had iPhone 4 before. When the iPhone 4 came out I thought "WOW". I really liked that design. I knew iOS before because I had an iPod Touch. So far so good.

Then the iPhone 5 came out and you couldn't get your hands on it for a few weeks. When I finally tried it in the shop I stopped after 20 Seconds as it was exactly the same as the iPhone 4.

Meanwhile on an experimental phone (HD2) I tried Android (2.?) - and didn't liked it much. I installed then WM7 - which is quite nice.

Anyway, as my iPhone 4 got older and slower I bought a Nexus 5 (untested as it wasn't available in stores). And boy, that Android 4.4 is really good. There isn't a single iOS function I miss. Quite the opposite, Android apps are just more functional due to less restrictions. I still have the old iPhone 4 which I use while travelling as 2nd phone. A good reminder how bad iOS is.

Now the iPhone 6 is out and I don't really bother to try.

BTW, yesterday I played around with Google Cardboard - another thing iPhone can't do - the new iPhone has NFS - but it's not for general use. Keep your phone then.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.samples.apps.cardboarddemo

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.