Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Does your magsafe adapter (power brick) has failed you within your 3 years of AC?

• No, still going strong!

Votes: 88 70.4%
  • Yes, just once.

Votes: 13 10.4%
  • Yes, more than once.

Votes: 19 15.2%
  • Yes, but after the 3 year period.

Votes: 5 4.0%

• Total voters

dollystereo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 6, 2004
France
Some ranting incoming:
Why the apple magsafe (45W, 60W and 85W) are such a lame product.
Since the introduction in 2006, I have had already 10 apple chargers!
They just break, at the cable, a the connector or fry somewhere else.
Apple has exchanged (in applecare) at lease 4 of them for me, why they haven't found a solution.
For a company that praise design, it's just laughing out loud of your clients.
(Just check the negative reviews in the apple store: http://store.apple.com/us/product/M...-power-adapter-for-15-and-17-inch-macbook-pro)

They don't even lats 18 months! And they are completely overpriced!
The cable should be a removable part, so when the cable dies (it will eventually) you could just exchange this part, and not the whole transformer.

Reactions: AleXXXa

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
I've only had one. Two years in it's still working with no issues. A rabbit has even started chewing through it and it's still great! I'd like to replace it, but I can't justify spending 80 bucks on a replacement cable

dollystereo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 6, 2004
France
Hmmmm, do you carry your magsafe everyday or you use your laptop as a desktop?
Now I have 2 of them, the one fix at work, and the one I carry around (never ever with the cord around the brick). And the one that I carry around is already starting to show signs of tear (around the connector, and near the brick).

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
Hmmmm, do you carry your magsafe everyday or you use your laptop as a desktop?
Now I have 2 of them, the one fix at work, and the one I carry around (never ever with the cord around the brick). And the one that I carry around is already starting to show signs of tear (around the connector, and near the brick).

That is true - I have 3 MagSafe's only one is wrapped. Also when I wrap it I create a loop before I begin wrapping it around the plastic hooks that makes sure there is less stress on the cord that is directly connected to the MageSafe. Does that make sense? I could send a pic if needed.

I just googled for this picture - but this is what I do

18mql2diwyfw2png.png

Reactions: oneMadRssn

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
I also had some issues with the latest chargers — the cable isolation breaks easily near the charger base and exposes the wiring. Could certainly use a fix. My rMBP is on its third charger now.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Never had one fail on me since they were introduced (including one with an original MacBook Core Duo from 2006 that is still perfect). Of course, I never pull them out by the wire or wrap them up too tightly...

blooperz

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2013
Mine died within the first year, took it to the apple store and they wanted to charge me full price for a new one. Showed them the recall page on their own website and complained to the manager and they replaced it...said they were doing it as an "exception" for me...yea right..

JHUFrank

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
Apple's power supplies for the last 15 years have been so beautiful, but pretty much worthless. My only complaint with an otherwise marvelous machine. I keep 3 on hand at all times, and regularly have to take them in for exchange on warranty at the Apple store.

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2014
The Magsafe power adapter for my late 2013 rMBP already has one clip broken, and the cord has many kinks inside it.

The worst of Apple's cords in my experience is the USB cord for iOS devices; the previous one with the old connector. The rubber is so damn soft, it's like a rubber balloon and it breaks so easily. I use an old usb cable for the iPad 2; it is the one that locks in and you squeeze the sides to take it out. I have used it so extensively and it has not worn down at all!

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Some ranting incoming:
Why the apple magsafe (45W, 60W and 85W) are such a lame product.
Since the introduction in 2006, I have had already 10 apple chargers!
They just break, at the cable, a the connector or fry somewhere else.
Apple has exchanged (in applecare) at lease 4 of them for me, why they haven't found a solution.
For a company that praise design, it's just laughing out loud of your clients.
(Just check the negative reviews in the apple store: http://store.apple.com/us/product/M...-power-adapter-for-15-and-17-inch-macbook-pro)

They don't even lats 18 months! And they are completely overpriced!
The cable should be a removable part, so when the cable dies (it will eventually) you could just exchange this part, and not the whole transformer.
Your post is not in keeping with the poll results. So obviously not a lame product. Remember people with a fault or issue will be much more vocal than those without.

Mr. Bleach

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2014
2 original magsafes that 6 years old and no problems.
Wish the MBP's they belong to were as good.

alexmarchuk

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2007
New Jersey
Way back when I had the 17" Macbook Pro with the higher resolution option my magsafe literally was frying itself. Apple replaced it, but still what a fire hazard that was.

blooperz

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2013
Your post is not in keeping with the poll results. So obviously not a lame product. Remember people with a fault or issue will be much more vocal than those without.

2000+ reviews on apples own website, and a grand total of 1.5/5 stars...for every single charger they sell, so it's pretty clear there is an issue...the poll is clearly not representative of the reality of the situation...just of the few people who have bothered reading and responding to this post.

Reactions: VulchR

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A
Had two fail at the connector. Not happy with something that should have been designed better by such a company.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
Had the one for my 09 MBP replaced summer 2013. Didn't cost me anything. Also had the lightening cable for my iPhone 5 replaced under AC+. The MagSafe2 for my rMBP is still going strong after a year. It spends most of its time wrapped up in my backpack.

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
2000+ reviews on apples own website, and a grand total of 1.5/5 stars...for every single charger they sell, so it's pretty clear there is an issue...

The self-select bias of people with issues will still likely prevail. That leaves umpteen million chargers we know nothing about. They can have a hard life, I have lost 2 but both to pet rabbits, none to failure however I don't generally need to carry one about, I have "fixed" ones at home and office so wear and tear is reduced (but not exposure to hostile teeth on occasion).

Patrick-Photo

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2012
I'm currently using:

1. 60W 2008 Macbook Mag-Safe brick for on the road and colleges.
2. 85W 2011 Macbook Pro 15" Mag-Safe brick for on my desk.

Both are working just fine without fringing or cable issues. I just try to keep my cables tidy (gently rolling them in loops instead of around the brick) and not damage the ends. The ends are the weak spots for every sort of cable. Yes the thinner cables used by Apple appear to be a bit more prone to damage than other thicker ones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.