Why Apple Time Capsule rather than External Drive for Time Machine Backup?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jaybar, Aug 25, 2013.

1. jaybar macrumors 6502

jaybar

Hi

Is there an advantage for the Time Capsule over a standard external hard drive for time machine backup? I currently have wifi via Verizon fios.

Thanks

Jay

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

The only advantage is the 2-in-1 solution Apple gives, router and HDD in one. In a sense, a space saver. Moreover, no need to fiddle around a USB connection to perorm your back-up.

3. bdrake47 macrumors regular

The convenience factor as mentioned is the only real advantage.

An external hdd can also be plugged in to the USB port of and AirPort Express or AirPort Extreme to get the same effect.

Years ago, there were some issues with TC's overheating/hdd failures, so an external may have had some advantage back then, but that was early TC days.

The other downside of the TC is that it isn't easy (possible?) to upgrade hdd.

If you already have fios for your router and don't want to add an AirPort or TC then you'll have to just go USB or ThunderBolt or FireWire (depends on your Mac).

As far as the Time Machine backup itself, there's no real difference in any method.

4. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

There are some backup solutions that are wireless. But again, it's a time-saver as they don't work out of the box with Apple and require a few clicks to set up.

5. jaybar thread starter macrumors 6502

jaybar

6. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Yes you can, just make the TC a Network Extender and it should work just fine.

7. opinio macrumors 65816

8. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

A Time Capsule provides a somewhat remote backup. If some breaks in and steals your Mac, they might not get your TC. If it's an attached drive, they might take it too.

9. bdrake47 macrumors regular

Thanks Opinio!!!

I figured if it was possible, someone on here would have figured it out!:D

Great write-up on the procedure too, and as you point out, not for the faint of heart and cost prohibitive unless you have similar circumstances.

I imagine that soon we should see stock capacity increases on the TC, seems almost overdue.

10. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

In addition to what's been mentioned already - the Time Capsule easily allows multiple computers to back up to it. I have two iMacs, a Mac Mini, and a MacBook Air backing up to my 3TB Time Capsule.

11. BluePhilG macrumors member

I think it's important to recognise just how convenient the TC is (or alternative LAN solution, rather than USB)

Once set up, you can forget about backups completely. It just happens. automatically, in the background, when you are connected to your LAN.

With a USB drive you obviously have to remember to plug it in every so often, and from past experience, that fades out to be hardly ever.