iPad Why Apple won't add a fingerprint sensor to Ipad 5

Discussion in 'iPad' started by gadget123, Sep 16, 2013.

1. gadget123 macrumors 68000

Chances are Ipad 5 was well in development long before the Iphone 5 plus it's the big selling point of the 5S so like Siri I reckon no fingerprint sensor until Ipad 6th generation earliest.

Also I expect the camera to stay 5mp.

I reckon it will have A7 + a new shell.

2. McPc macrumors 6502

McPc

Well a few analysts were predicting a Spring 2013 iPad release. So maybe Apple waited for a late Fall release to include the fingerprint scanner?

3. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

There could be a few reasons they don't add it:

1. Supply constraints.
    2. Using the 5S as sort of a proof of concept. If it works well on the 5S then Apple will bring it to other devices.
    3. Apple thinking its not as urgent for the iPad because people aren't locking/unlocking their iPads as often as their iPhones.

4. ABC5S Suspended

ABC5S

Possible Oct event on this, so I'll wait until then to see if Apple does. In my opinion, it doesn't matter if they have some delays, it will still come to the ipad 5. Some members also said the same thing about the iPhone 5s not having them and they were dead wrong.

5. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

The biggest reason I dont think it will have it is because here we are about a month before new ipads and there really hasnt been any strong rumors about the new ipad having them.

6. Mrg02d macrumors 65816

I'll bet it does include one. Don't think that Apple intends the FP sensor for just unlocking your devices.:rolleyes:

7. Vanilla35 macrumors 68030

Vanilla35

Yeah we definitely would have seen a rumor about it by now.

8. Tsepz macrumors 68000

Tsepz

Funny part is that a Finger Print Scanner would make the most sense on an iPad as many use them for bank transactions, heavier web browsing (much longer sessions) which can entail viewing more sensitive data, documents etc...also considering in many homes iPads are shared, so the account payer may want more security control, but a part of me also believes it might not make it in, simply due to the possible production difficulties.

I think Apple would love to have a finger print scanner on both 5S and iPad5, reason? Well many people stuck with the iPad2, I have actually seen more iPad2s than iPad 4 TBH. So, a finger print scanner would add that bit more incentive, on top of Retina Display, A7 chip, bigger battery and a whole new design. The iPad 5 is going to be a very important product as it brings in a new design.

9. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

If Apple would ever get around to allowing multiple user accounts on iPads, it would be a great use for the fingerprint sensor.

10. Mrg02d macrumors 65816

I'd upgrade my ipad3 if the new iPad has a FP sensor that was bound to work with iCloud keychain.

11. Brittany246 macrumors 6502a

They'll probably leave it out in the 5th generation iPad, and add it into the 6th generation iPad just to give people a reason to buy the next gen. Apple knows that people are going to buy the 5th gen mostly because of the iPad mini form factor.

12. zipa macrumors 65816

No, pretty much no chance for that. Both are on a similar release cycle, but the ipad has less parts, less design constraints and loads of more space to stuff things in, so if anything, it would have a shorter development cycle than the iphone.

13. osofast240sx macrumors 68030

osofast240sx

The FPS is a huge part of iOS 7, it is also a POS for iTunes / AppStore. Almost certain it will be included.

14. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

^^This. Apple love to drip feed features.

15. McPc macrumors 6502

McPc

Well this shows that there is hope! From the home page:

Sapphire Home Buttons Coming to New iPads?
    Apple first adopted sapphire to make covers of iPhone 5 cameras and now the material is also used in making covers of iPhone 5S finger print-recognizing home keys, the sources noted. Apple in March 2013 filed with the US Patent and Trademark Office an application concerning high-temperature lamination of sapphire layers, the sources noted.

16. Centris 650 macrumors 6502a

Centris 650

Hmmmm....We will see who is right you or Digitimes.

17. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

You might be right on the fingerprint sensor since they couldn't even make enough for fridays release and October is almost here. Unless the reason they don't have enough is because they are using them for the iPads too.

18. WestCoastPro macrumors newbie

You are wrong. Apple will be integrated this tech into it's entire line over the next 18-24 months. MacBooks, iPads, input devices, etc. Just like the Facetime camera.

19. portishead macrumors 65816

I pretty much agree. I'm hoping iPads have it soon. I sold both of mine a few weeks ago. Waiting for a Retina Mini with fingerprint sensor. Might be a few months though :(

20. CKA macrumors member

I am quite interested on what GPU it may use. iPhone 5S is using Power VR 6430. So, the new iPad will use quad 6430 or even up to 6630?

Either way, it may be good enough to go up to 4K movies

21. omnimoeish, Sep 19, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2013

omnimoeish macrumors member

If it releases iPad 5 in late October. The supply constraints should be pretty much a non issue by that point since there's massive demand for new iPhones in the first 3 weeks that drops off after that. Even if it is the case that it constrains production of iPad 5, there's no way they're just now making the decision whether to put a FPS in if it is indeed being released next month.

It does seem to be true that it's not as crucial on an iPad for the FPS at least for average users. Sure you use more sensitive documents on an iPad....I guess... but that's probably not going to be made more secure with a FPS.

One of the main reasons I think it will have it is that the release date is sooo late. They must've been waiting for the FPS tech to be implemented. The "iPad 4" AKA "New iPad" is really the same thing that was released in what March 2012? It's a year and a half old besides changing the port. My theory is they released the iPhone 5s first because that's a higher volume, higher margin product and they didn't want to constrain supply by releasing the iPad at the same time, so it comes out a month later than the iPhone.

The other reason I can think of is that besides squaring the edges a little more and shrinking the bezel slightly, and changing the chip from A6 to A7, they better have a little bit more to show for that year and a half of research and development (THEY'VE GOT $150 BILLION DOLLARS). Remember, iPad sales have been tanking the last couple of quarters and the tablet competition is getting mighty stiff as players like Samsung and Google aren't sipping tea. Even with a FPS and 64 bit CPU (that will be old hat by then), they better have some other pretty epic upgrades or the "Apple can't innovate anymore" cries that have been ever growing will reach a crescendo the likes of which Apple hasn't seen since it nearly went bankrupt in the 90's.

22. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

The G6430 has 4 clusters.

I'd be surprised if they didn't make the A7X a G6630 with 6 clusters.

23. betabeta macrumors 6502a

This fall both iPads will have Touch ID, Apple is really pushing into Government, Healthcare and business who like it for the security aspect. And in a few months it will start to be used for many other things....

This is the main reason the iPad 5 is late, they have had the new iPad ready to roll months ago, but they needed the initial runs of sapphire home buttons for the iPhone.

There may well be 2 version of the new iPad one with Touch ID and one without.