Why are AT&T models sold out & not Verizon?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by NateEssex, Mar 17, 2012.

1. NateEssex macrumors 6502

Yesterday, you couldn't get an AT&T model anywhere by me(NJ). They had Verizon models all over. Isn't the Verizon model better because you can use it as a hotspot? And, you can put an iPhone 4s sim on AT&T in it, making it more versatile. Am I missing something?

2. KPOM macrumors G5

Maybe people want the extra GB with the $30 plan, or maybe people figure because LTE is newer on AT&T there will be less traffic. Or perhaps maybe there were fewer AT&T models around because it is the same model sold worldwide. Or perhaps it's just a function of the stores near you.

There are any number of plausible explanations. It's anyone's guess until we start seeing actual sales figures.

3. MarkG21 macrumors regular

In a forum (like this), you would think the vast majority would want/care for those features. In reality, the opposite is true. We are in the minority.

4. PLin macrumors 6502

It's probably because with the iPad 2, the AT&T models were a lot more popular, which gave them higher resale value. The Verizon models could only be used in the US, since they didn't support GSM. Many people probably don't realize that the Verizon models now support GSM and can be used internationally.

5. intofx macrumors regular

6. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

Me too but do they throttle after 3GB like on the iphone?

7. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

No. Not yet at least. But I don't think they ever will b/c there are so (relatively) few "unlimited" iPad plans around anymore to make much of a difference to ATT -- especially in relationship to the even more bad press they'd get if they did.

But I suspect if they ever do activate tethering like Verizon "unlimited" people will be ineligible just like on the iPhone.

8. KoukiFC3S macrumors 6502a

9. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

People probably don't realize the Verizon model is global as well, they're too used to buying the AT&T

10. neutrino23 macrumors 65816

Many people don't think through as deeply as do people posting here. I got the AT&T version. I mostly just want the GPS feature and might never use LTE, but it is there for insurance. I already have AT&T on the iPhone so I guess it would be easier to have one account.

11. f00f macrumors 65816

AT&T models sold out at the Best Buys & Apple Store near me a well (eastern Long Island). I'm sure it's largely to do with many iDevice people already being on AT&T plans. But damn, I saw some Verizon LTE ipad3 speed tests posted by one of the chicks from Mashable -- 30Mbps down & 20 up (she's in NYC). Very impressive, better than many people's cable connection.

12. bidwalj macrumors 6502a

This. Most people don't realize the new iPad isn't CDMA only, what lte is and that it's on par with the AT&T version.

13. dsampley macrumors regular

dsampley

I got the AT&T model due to the grandfathered unlimited plan even though AT&T is not available in my market.

14. catalyst6 macrumors 6502a

catalyst6

The "AT&T" model is the same model that is being shipped overseas as the 4G model. In fact, if you look at the back of an iPad box that is "AT&T," it doesn't even say AT&T on it...just 4G LTE. The Verizon version is explicitly labelled.

I would expect that we would have a greater supply of Verizon models as Apple only has to ship it to the USA.

15. ChrisTX macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

I have AT&T as my provider for my iPhone so I figured might as well go the same route with the iPad. I assume most other people feel the same way.

16. Built macrumors 68020

I have ATT (grandfathered unlimited) on my iPhone...All of my previous iPads have been ATT...AND...I hate Verizon (this goes back many years to when they provided my home phone service and DSL)...

17. Lloyd50 macrumors member

I chose AT&T because I get a corporate discount that applies to the highest data plan available bringing the total for 5 gigs a month to 38.00. I also added the iPad data plan to my AT&T wireless bill (post paid)

18. aka777 macrumors 6502a

I have them both and I decided to keep the VZ model. VZ's LTE just blows AT&T away.

It's going to be a good 2 years before AT&T match VZ's current LTE footprint. Whereas, VZ is scheduled to have network-wide LTE by then.

19. OTACORB macrumors 6502a

OTACORB

The other factor for me is the fact that in most areas I travel there is no LTE. So, AT&T's 3G with HSPA + is much faster than Verizon's 3G. Coverage is also king and in my particular area which maybe an exception to the rule. AT&T kicks the crap out of Verizon.

20. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

That's why I'm using my AT&T sim card from my old iPad in my new Verizon iPad if I'm in a spot that has crappy Verizon service. Also am using the Verizon iPad 3rd gen on 3G from Siena, Italy at the moment. The best of all worlds.

21. brand macrumors 601

brand

Why do you want the AT&T iPad over the Verizon iPad? That might be your answer.

22. dieburnbot macrumors 6502a

dieburnbot

I got it because when LTE isn't available AT&T HSPA+ network is faster than verizons 3G. I travel a lot and don't always have access to LTE so the AT&T network is more versatile in my opinion.

23. aka777 macrumors 6502a

AT&T HSPA+ enabled area - 4 bars reception. Not to mention, the area has lower population density, with fewer users to congest the network

DL 0.65 UL 0.67 -79ms
    DL 0.24 UL 1.24 -71ms
    DL 0.20 UL 0.48 -95ms

People make the mistake of assuming that just because they say HSPA+, the network is able to handle the speeds -- doesn't work this way.

It's the equivalent or driving a Lamborghini on a small country road, that is often congested with traffic. Sure the car can handle 200MPH but the road, conditions, and speed limits (AT&T caps) simply do not allow this.

24. eagleglen macrumors 6502a

eagleglen

I think the current lack of AT&T models is because of scaplers. At the Apple store I was at, six people at the front each bought two AT&T 64GB white models. That was the model I wanted and now couldn't. The Apple sales guy said that AT&T is unlocked for international use. The Verizon model can be used globally, but is locked to the local carrier Verizon choose. Technically superior to, the AT&T model operates on two LTE frequencies (700 and 2100 MHz), while the Verizon only one (700 MHz). The AT&T model is therefore the desired model for scaplers supplying Asian markets. Fortunately Apple has the supply chain well stocked, so apparently many scaplers are trying to return the hoard of devices they bought...HAHA!

25. tivoboy macrumors 68030

problems?

when I was in the palo alto store buying mine on launch day, I overhead one of the managers say there were holding the AT&T ones in the back and not to sell some of them as there were issues. Not sure if that meant issues WITH them or wanting to be able to swap for people returning verizon ones, or bad AT&T ones? regardless, take this with a grain of salt.