Why are iPhone 2G owners in line for iPhone 3G on iDay?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by soberbrain, Jul 14, 2008.

1. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

I know there's already a thread on "crazy people who waited in line". I am one of them still waiting to own my first iPhone.

Maybe, I'm just a little jealous since I had 2 unsuccessful attempts in getting a 16GB Black. Also, the irony of having an iPhone to pass the time would have come in handy while being on line for so long ;)

My question is why are current iPhone 2G owners waiting in line for the iPhone 3G instead of waiting a week or so when it's an easier buying experience?

2. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

THIS question, I understand.

Waiting in line is fine, I don't see any reason to critisize it. I did it too! But I had a crap-phone before that made phone calls and had a bowling game. That was it. So yes I waited, but I just traded up in a BIG way!

But waiting in line to ONLY get 3G and GPS? That does seem like those people should have waited a week. I wouldn't stand in line 4 hours just to get that a few days early.

3. calvy macrumors 65816

Impatience, or the experience of waiting in line meeting like minded folks. Either apply really.

As a current 2g owner, I didn't see a point in waiting in line. Had it been moving at all, I might have reconsidered. But 8 hours is insane. I'm not waiting for that. And I placate myself by constantly saying in my head that the 3g is really not that much different. It's just GPS and 3g. I can wait a week or two for that, right? Well, I'm still calling the apple and AT&T stores constantly and dropping by just to see if perhaps they have stock and only 5 people in line.

4. rayward macrumors 65816

I suppose some people just want the faster data and/or GPS. Others just want the latest thing because it's the latest thing.

Personally, I'm waiting until they boost capacity to 32gig. I can live without all the incremental upgrades in the 3G and, at 16gigs, I'd still be bumping up against the capacity limit on a daily basis, whereas at 32gig I will be able to add all my music and photos plus about two dozen movies for when I travel on business.

5. AustinSTI macrumors 6502

I didn't wait - refused too, however my biggest concern at the moment is whether the 2G iphone resale prices remain where they are. You can sell your 2G for the cost or above of a 3g basically netting you 0 cost to upgrade at the moment. Will it remain this way for a week? a month? Who knows...

Yes I know the Month to Month is more but the application of my corp discount on a 3G will cancel that out...

6. sananda macrumors 68020

to come here and post about the new phone was it's still the hot topic of conversation!

7. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

I am a 1st gen owner who waited in line... I waited this time because I didn't last time. I got my first iPhone in August of '07 and was really looking forward to this version.

Plus the phone i did have was crap at the time because I went all butterfingers on it one day. :D So I needed a new phone anyways...

8. SleepyHead157 macrumors regular

i simply waited because I had put my 1st gen on ebay and sold it for 400 so I would need something to use, and since I was able to upgrade, i got 3g one for 325 a 16gb after taxes. where as my 1st gen iphone was a 8gb. I got more money for it and my FAN discount was going to come into effect for the 3G. My new month started today, so I figured I would start saving sooner.

9. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

10. AustinSTI macrumors 6502

was your phone unlocked or locked? Just curious...

11. soberbrain thread starter macrumors 65816

soberbrain

I was hoping for a 32GB, too. But I need an upgrade from my 3rd gen iPod and Motorola L6. I trimmed down my music which has actually helped make Shuffle Songs better, since I don't have to skip old songs as often.

I agree. I've been on line for Apple Store openings, too.

12. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

In line or online? They are two different things. In line to get the new phone, online to get it working!

13. SleepyHead157 macrumors regular

I unlocked it before selling it

14. ijohnw macrumors regular

the experience was awesome! and the joy of everyone in the morning from people in line to the apple employees was unbeatable!

15. dacreativeguy macrumors 68000

I installed the 2.0 firmware on my 2.5G iphone and now feel like I have a 2.75G iphone.... not too far from the 3G. ;)

Yes, the only big new features are 3G and GPS. I can't do anything about the 3G but having it is probably a bit overrated since the iphone has Wifi as well. But the new location features in the 2.0 firmware work really well with my non-GPS iphone. All the new apps that ask for my location do just fine, and in playing with Google Maps a bit, I think that Apple has improved the accuracy of their cell tower/wifi location mechanism.

So I don't think I'm missing that much, and I am paying $15 a month less than the 3G purchases for phone/data/250 SMS. We'll see how things are looking for the next iphone in June 2009!

16. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

It's not only 3G and GPS. I quadrupled by storage capacity this time around. Much needed, especially with the app store now.

17. soberbrain thread starter macrumors 65816

soberbrain

Updated title. Thanks.

Btw, your avatar is just wrong :eek:

18. newyorksole macrumors 68020

Couldn't agree more.

I hate when people say "Oh, what's the point of upgrading for just 3G and GPS?", there's more to it than that. I am too quadroopling my storage, getting improved call quality/reception, an improved speaker, 3G, GPS and a new iPhone!

19. hcoteen2008 macrumors regular

It's a fun experience, I never had the chance to wait in line for the original iPhone. Plus, it was one of the last things me and my friends would do before college.

20. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

Syncing those damn apps is a pain in the ass. So the fact that I have 16gb and can save much more stuffs, I won't have to be concerned about syncing the same apps more than once.

21. Farani macrumors 6502

Woah woah it is A LOT more than ONLY 3G and GPS, at least to me. First off, the speakerphone was COMPLETELY and UTTERLY UNUSABLE on the first iPhone. Having a functioning speakerphone is huge for me. Second off, 3G is not only faster speed (which is worth waiting inline because EDGE can be intolerable), but it allows data AND voice at the same time. On EDGE you cannot talk and surf. Not saying I do this, but whenever I surfed the web, I couldn't get phone calls. Those 2 things are right up there with 3G and GPS to me.

Oh and double the space. I bought an 8GB a week after the first one went on sale and I'm constantly deleting music.

PLUS... if you have ever used EDGE you'd know why we were the first in line lol.

EDIT: And oh yeah, I dropped my phone 2 months ago so I had a nice spiderweb crack in the bottom left corner haha. Didn't impede on the screen too much, but still...

22. soberbrain thread starter macrumors 65816

soberbrain

Ha ha... that's one of the reasons why I waited. I was at an Apple Store visiting web pages on the 1st gen iPhone. Then, I turned off Wi-fi just to see how it was on EDGE. That's when decided to wait for 3G.

23. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

They has no GPS and lost their way. :cool:

24. calvy macrumors 65816

Those of us who are informed already knew the advantages of 3G. Yes I would love to be able to use data and voice at the same time. But for now, it's not worth me waiting in an 8 hour line. It really hasn't been much of an issue for me in the past year that I've owned my first gen, and I don't think it will kill me for another couple weeks. GPS I want badly, but again, I can wait.

I am unlike most here I guess. queuing does not sound fun to me.

25. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Ok, these are all reasons to upgrade, but that wasn't the question.

The question is, why couldn't you wait 4 or 5 more days for these things?

Your list of reasons is consists entirely of "I could do x before, but now I can do x faster/better/nicer."

My reaons for standing in line is that "I can now do x, y, z, and a, b, c, and d now whereas before I couldn't do them at all."

I can see waiting 4 hours in line to gain a ton of new features. I can't see waiting 4 hours to get a faster/better version of what I already have. Why not just go this Wednesday?

That's the question, and nothing in your post addresses that.