Why are most iOS users so loyal?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Downs2011, Sep 15, 2014.

1. Downs2011, Sep 15, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2014

Downs2011 macrumors regular

As I continue to check the status of my iPhone 6+ order, I couldn't help but realize that of all the products I buy, nothing really compares to the excitement of opening a new Apple product. With all the excitement leading up to Apple events, do we ever question what makes Apple so different? I wasn't even old enough to care about the first iPhone launch, but I did know it was important to a lot of people. I've only had an iPhone since the 4s and I feel like I have been a customer since I was born. As much as I enjoyed playing with the Note 3, I couldn't betray iOS and the ease of use it's given me. I enjoy the ecosystem and I'm sort of embedded in it now. I know a lot of people have childish names for people who love Apple and think they have brain washed everyone into being "iSheep". So my question here is, why do we trust Apple so much to deliver the products that we depend on daily? And to all the people who left iOS for a larger screened Android device, welcome back!

2. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

I am loyal to Apple because they make hardware and software that are specifically designed to work well with one another.

History has proven time and time again that software not specifically designed for a platform never performs as well as proprietary ones. Look at Windows, Android, etc.

Plus, they make beautiful phones and computers. The fact that they have the best customer support on the planet doesn't really hurt, either.

3. justinTlME macrumors 6502

justinTlME

this!

4. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

Dang, you beat me to everything I was going to say :cool:

5. taedouni macrumors 65816

They make great products from the ground up that have great value and offer some of the best support in the world.

6. nepalisherpa macrumors 68020

nepalisherpa

I currently use an iPhone 5 and a Nexus 7. While hardware-wise, Nexus 7 is an awesome machine, the quality of apps suck major ***. Many apps that I currently use on it are still not optimized for tablets. These apps are just scaled version of the phone apps and they look horrible. Meanwhile, apps on iPad look amazing and very polished. While I will continue to use Nexus 7 as a tablet, I will stick with iOS for my phone. I have preordered a 6+ so I'm not sure if I will even use Nexus 7 after I get my phone.

7. apple.snapple macrumors regular

Apple takes pride in everything they do, from hardware, to software and everything between.

When they screw up, they admit it (Ping, MobleMe, Antennagate, laptop GPUs, etc) and they make it right for the customer.

Let me tell you my Apple story.

My Macbook Air, 2012 model (very out of warranty), was having some serious battery issues. 100% to 0% in just a few minutes. I figured I'd ask for a new battery for my birthday so I took it to the Apple Store to get a quote. As I figured, it was a complete battery failure, per Apple diagnostic software.

The "Apple genius" said "it's usually $130 bucks, but since you had to wait a few extra minutes, it will be free". It was only 15 minutes and I never made a peep the whole time I was waiting. In fact, I was just watching YouTube on my phone. He threw in a new motherboard, I/O ports, flex cables, and bottom case just to be on the safe side

Very happy with my experience and will continue to be an Apple user.

8. mantan macrumors 68000

I like their stuff. But I desparately wish there was a competitor of equal quality to push them.

Yeah Apple makes great stuff, but we pay through the nose for it.

Competition is best for the consumer...lots of folks seem to forget that...

9. Raffi macrumors 6502a

Raffi

Easy question: I think of the iPhone like a formula one car. The car purpose built in all areas. From the tires to the engine. Apple does the same thing and Android is like a Honda Civic lowered, body kit, and turbo. It looks good on paper but in person its total crap.

Next is apple has stores that provide warranty and service. I had a Nokia 1020 and the sim door got stuck so I had to mail it to Microsoft. It took 17 days until I got my phone back. I sold it and started using my iPhone again.

Android releases a new phone monthly and the software is updated on all devices at the same time. Apple does and thats great.

Last is that Apple has the best ecosystem of any tech product in existence. Apple tv, mac, iTunes, iMessage, iCloud, and marketplace accessories make ownership easy and convenient.

10. andrunious macrumors member

11. brittany0613 macrumors member

According to the annoying Best Buy guys that argued with me about iPhone vs Android the other day, it's "because iOS users are afraid to try anything new." *rolls eyes*

12. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

Similar experience for me. I had screen-smudging on my 2011 iMac (a common problem). I believe they had a program to replace those screens for a while, but due to laziness, I think I missed the window. My computer was out of warranty for like 2 years (just had it fixed recently), and they replaced my 3 year old screen for free with no extended Apple Care and also accidentally damaged the logic board, so I got one of those for free as well!

I really didn't care about the extra time, as I really only use my MBP Retina anyways, but the way I figure it, I save $500 on a screen and got a brand new logic board for free. Basically, I have a new computer now haha :) thanks Apple!

13. syclick macrumors regular

I wouldn't call myself loyal. I've spent a fair amount of money on iOS apps, and I don't want to have to repurchase or do without certain apps. Plus, there are still quite a few developers that target iOS first.

What's more is that I use a lot of iOS pro audio apps. Android's audio framework needs to develop a bit more before we start seeing the level of pro audio apps that exist right now in iOS.

14. MacintoshJosh3 macrumors regular

Steve Jobs. The culture and constant pursuit of perfection and beauty will permiate in Apple products for years to come.

15. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

1. My products work.

2. More/Better security.

3. More aesthetics.

4. Excellent customer service.

5. Little depreciation of value.

16. nepalisherpa macrumors 68020

nepalisherpa

Oh, and the other thing about Android, unless you get a device from Google or pay extra for a GPe phone, you are stuck with crappy skins from manufacturers and have to wait months for the updates because the update first goes through the manufacturer and then through the carrier.

17. neteng101 macrumors 65816

Unified OS, and you get it the day its launched.

The whole problem with Android is that its fragmented - phones running different versions of Jelly Bean and Kit Kat, and upgrades that can take up to a year to appear for some models.

Its also a terribly inconsistent UI and user experience, there's not the unified feel look and operation as there is in iOS.

Aside from the fact that Windows 8 phones are limited to RT, IMO they're better than Android, because there's a more coherent design to Metro apps, although live tiles are still a mess.

18. RyanTheGeneral macrumors regular

As some others have said. The quality of the device/software. It really does "just work". I have a couple times looked over at the galaxy but the store scares me. Pulse on iPhone - I download and if it wants permission to anything it has to ask before doing anything. Pulse on android I looked up the permissions- this app has the right to text- calls- email- photos- etc. why the hell does pulse need access to my phone calls?

I prefer the security and the fluid nature of apple products. Can't wait for Friday.

19. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. People need to look at everything Apple does and not just one facet.

20. E3BK macrumors 68020

E3BK

Well said. I was so happy about the iPhone because I finally could have a phone that played well with my Mac! Every other phone prior to the iPhone just poo poo'd on Mac users.

And as a former PC user & devotee (I've built a couple of my own, grew up in Seattle, etc etc ), it really is a beautiful machine that runs so much smoother.

21. -Knight- macrumors 6502a

-Knight-

22. squidkitten macrumors 6502

squidkitten

100% agree. My mother actually works for Microsoft and she just doesn't understand why I won't switch if it means I'd get cheaper devices/machines. Apple hands down has the best environment for devices to work well together. I can't imagine using a phone that didn't just have all the information my Macbook or iPad had. Also, much better apps and a much better user experience.

Apple doesn't always do it first, but I think it does it extremely well.

23. td1439 macrumors 6502

td1439

I generally dislike Apple's software, for a variety of reasons. But there's no doubt that their hardware combines excellent performance with amazing aesthetics. They really do hold themselves to a higher standard when it comes to the products they make.

24. daviddcmd macrumors member

I Didn't

I'm sure most here have good results with the Apple geniuses but the last two times I visited an Apple store I got attitude, two different phones, two different issues. I sold the phone and went down the Android highway. It wasn't great at first, but in the last year it's been great! I really like to customized the look and feel of my phone and I can change that daily if I want to.

I've been using Sony phones and I believe they are on par with the Iphones quality wise and they certainly have better specs. Also I can not stand the limitation of Itunes. I have all the Apps I need as well.

I have a work 5S and a personal Sony Z2 so I can speak to this issue.

YMMV of course but right now I prefer my Z2, Google Now and Android. When my contract comes up for renewal next year I'll reevaluated and see what the 6S has to offer.

25. cymolia macrumors 6502a

Tweetbot, theres nothing like it on any platform