Why are new macs so expensive.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dominicansrul93, Jun 9, 2007.

1. dominicansrul93 macrumors regular

Why is it that a 1000 dollar imac has 512 ram and 64vram while dell sells the same thing for 400. This is what keeps a lot of people from switching. I have tried to get a lot of people to switch and their main concern isnt compability like most people think it is. Its usually that macs have these crappy specs for high prices. To make things worse they dont even let you upgrade things like graphics cards and processors. Im not trying to criticize Apple. I think they make great computers but they could be getting so much more switchers if they could make theyre system more upgradable and more powerful.

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Could you please provide a link to an example of a $400 Dell so we can see what you mean?

3. grafikat macrumors 6502a

grafikat

Take your pick.
    I just like it better!

1. Operating system is more stable
    2. System is easier to secure
    3. OS is much more user friendly
    4. Easier to operate: less IT support needed
    5. Ram and processor rates aren't apples and oranges (pardon the pun). The apple's systems are faster.
    6. Monopoly
    7. Better customer service
    8. Higher quality components
    9. Supply and demand

4. cowman007 macrumors regular

I agree with you 100% on this one. THis is whats keeping me from buying my new iMac, the price. I agree the OS is far better on the Mac and Customer service is better and the harware is better but seriously, i could get an iMac and and HP for the same price but the HP would have double the specs of the iMac and the monitor size would be a 20 inch and not a 17 inch

Seriously the prices are too high. They need to come down. I dont expect Apple to match Dell and Hp's prices. No way, theres products suck. I just want Apple to lower their prices by maybe 200-300 bucks.

5. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

I saw this link in another post earlier today. It's offers a comparison between Macs and PCs and looks at how matching specs is difficult, but that for the most part Macs are competitively priced vs. PCs of near-exact hardware specifications.

6. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

I'm with BlueVelvet on this one....post the specs of this $400 Dell and let us show you where there are differences between it and the iMac.

7. BenHoleton macrumors regular

Try this article:

http://www.scotsnewsletter.com/91.htm#macpc$

8. TimJim macrumors 6502a

9. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

200-300 for some of us from academic purchases.

10. Mac.Jnr macrumors member

grafikat- You can't update mac proccessors, maybe some pro could but not by yourself. The Apple systems aren't faster, firstly their fsb is 667mhz which is weak and their clock speeds are pretty darn low.

But in exchange for the performance cut you get:
    Near-silent computer
    Mac OSX OS
    great Customer Support
    Secure System
    High Quality Hardware.

The mainly reason I buy mac computersis because of the OS not because of the hardware. If the Mac OSX was on PCs, I'd buy a PC in a jeffy.

(flame suit on!)

11. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Add a 17" monitor, speakers, the full version of Vista, firewire adapter... you're up to $800. Add virus service, something to compare to iLife, and you're even in price.

Which computer would you prefer?

12. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

13. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Yeah...once you configure that system: add the 17" monitor, webcam, speakers, Firewire port, match up the version Vista offered that's closest to OS X, and add in some anti-virus/spyware software (which is a must on that side) you're up above $1,000.

Not exactly the $600 dollar difference the OP mentioned.

14. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

15. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

Read This

Computer World: Mac vs. PC cost analysis: How does it all add up?

16. Aranince macrumors 65816

Making the system hardware upgradeable makes you lose A LOT of stability..one of Windows faults. It is because they have to write and have installed A LOT of drivers for every possible hardware out there. If they just have one or two hardware types is much easier to keep things stable and fast.

17. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Well just to set things straight i have configured a dell with everything that the macs provide here is screen shots. Picture 4.jpg

Picture 5.jpg

Compared to a imac that rings in at $1,074.00 with 1gb of ram. I think its a decent price. Yeah the dell has a bigger HD. And a burner. So then lets bump up the imac to the 2.0ghz model And bump up the HD to 250gb. Now we have a imac that has a MUCH better video card, better burner as its DL. A faster CPU, a apple remote, Wireless N, bluetooth, and that upgrade is only $1278 So slightly more expensive then the dell BUT a much better system. Check this yourself if you like. In the end in both situations you get a working machine as i included anti-virus for the PC and basic photo/movie editing/management as you get this with ilife.

18. grafikat macrumors 6502a

grafikat

No flame! I guess what meant is that the speed difference of the same processor on different OSs can't be compared 1to1. I never said anything about updating the processor itself:confused:

19. Royale w/cheese macrumors 6502a

Honestly, can you see a mac and a comparatively equipped Dell side by side and have any questions on which one to drool over and which to spit at?

This may be a bad comparison, but a Chrysler 300 and a Dodge Magnum have the same engine, but there is a reason one is a Luxury car and the other is a station wagon. (Although I must say, the magnum is pretty cool)

The dell isn't bad, I am not a Mac only user, and I like having and using both, But there is no question on the superior product here, and you get what you pay for.

20. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

21. jng macrumors 65816

jng

The OP is just a kid probably. Cut him some slack. He'll eventually learn how to properly convert people to our cult.

As for why, well people hate change. My father's PC keeps crapping out (internet stops working, due to stupid firewall/virus software I think) and I hate driving 30 minutes to his business to fix it. I even offered to buy him a new iMac (father's day is coming up) and he said: Mac's are expensive and stupid. I like my PC. My reply? Your PC is broken.

22. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Charge him $50 every time you need to repair his PC. He'll soon learn how expensive a PC can be.

23. Mr.Pibb macrumors newbie

Mr.Pibb

I'd like to do a comparison here: The fastest 17" MBP vs a comparitively priced 17" clevo D900C (currently fastest PC based laptop)

I'm basing the budget at +$2500 since this seems to be the norm for a high-range mac vs a high-end PC. Let alone, while both laptops can probably perform tasks at the same performance level, the MBP is a multi-purpose entertainment/professional laptop, while the clevo D900C is a gaming/desktop replacement. However both are well capable of handiling tasks such as audio/video editing and graphic intensive apps as well.

Here we go:

Apple MPB: configured at apple.com
    2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 800MHz FSB
    1680 x 1050 pixels
    2GB memory 667 FSB
    160GB hard drive
    8x double-layer SuperDrive
    802.11N
    NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics with 256MB SDRAM

Price: $2,799.00

Clevo D900C configured at RJTech.net
    17" WSXGA
    NVIDIA 7950 GTX with 512MB SDRAM
    C2D E6600 2.4 ghz 1066 FSB
    2 GB Corsair DDR2 667
    80 GB SATA 5400 rpm
    802.11N
    DVD/CDR - dual layer
    Express Card Slot (MS/MSduo/ect.)
    Win XP Home
    1 Year Warranty

Price: $2,619

Now, some things are obvious. The MBP has a bigger HDD, while the Clevo has a faster processor and gfx card. The MPB is lighter while the Clevo actually does run cooler - it has 4 fans on the bottom and vents on the back (and is also quite silent so i've read). Also another big factor is ports. MPB sports 1 - 6pin firewire400 and firewire800 (on the same bus mind you) and 2 USB 2.0 while the Clevo sports 2 - 4pin firewire400 and 4 USB 2.0. The Clevo also has a better screen with the WSXGA compared to the MBP WXGA.

Viruses? Meh, free versions of AVG and Zone Alarm have always kept my PC well protected without hogging resources. Besides, I don't download pr0n or open every single eMail in my hotmail account.

DX10? Well, as soon as NVIDIA releases 8700m/8800m, these will be an option in the D900C, plus the graphics module is MXMIV which makes them upgradable.

Oh yes, the D900C also has the abillity to have 3 internal HDDs and 2 graphics cards in SLI - however setting the price at about $3500.

Add 3 yr apple care to the MPB and you have close to $3000.

Also one final note, clevo is also releasing a Santa Rosa based laptop, simularly configured to the D900C, however lighter and thinner, with just as much power, and within the $2300-$2500 range - the m570ru.

I guess what really needs to be looked at is what do you NEED out of a laptop. Do you have OSX based software, or Windows based software? Do you need 4 usb ports or 2, Do you need intense graphics cards, or a mid-range one.

24. dominicansrul93 thread starter macrumors regular

You are right! I im only 14 and I just switched to macs. But my dad needs a desktop for himself and this is the only thing keeping him from buying a mac. I dont understand why he even cares about the specs. All he needs to do is check email and go on internet. But i still see this as a huge barrier. I see that you guys got the dell specs and compared and stuff. But how bout the GPU's you can obviously run games faster on a dell than on a mac of the same price.