Why are people so convinced...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacSamurai, Jan 20, 2008.

1. MacSamurai macrumors regular

MacSamurai

...that a case redesign wont happen until motevina?does it not make good sense to change it now?specially if it gets the multi touch...are there no possibilitys of changing the design to something similar to the airs i.e. round edges and the like?Also why would they take so long to realease only a speed bump, granted that penryns got delayed,they could atleast put the new specs in the BTO and then deliver when they get here...

2. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

3. iDAG macrumors 65816

iDAG

They just released the MacBook Air, a whole new computer. That means that there will be no computer redesign for a while. Remember last year the iMac was the only computer to be redesigned.

4. MacSamurai thread starter macrumors regular

MacSamurai

well they were also busy redisigning thier whole ipod line and pushin the iphone aswell.

5. Rich89 macrumors newbie

I've heard it's that montevina requires a new motherboard and/or an internal redesign, which means if they changed the design now, they would have to do so again to accommodate montevina in a matter of months, which is why people are doubtful. I couldn't wait till summer but i guess its probable that there might be the new keyboard/latch etc. Im waiting for a redesign with blu-ray but i needed something till then (wll be a while.)

6. MacSamurai thread starter macrumors regular

MacSamurai

well im sure they could make a new design that would accomodate for both montevina and sr so they could make the montevina a silent update as they did when the macbooks got bumped to sr

7. Arkbargle macrumors member

One would expect that if they were to deliver a major redesign, they would do it at their major press event in order to hype it up as much as possible...

8. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

I think you'll see some MacBook Air touches added to the MBP, maybe with Montevina. But the silver design is here to stay, IMO, so not sure how much of a redesign you're after.

A new MBP would be thinner, lighter, with a multitouch pad, and maybe an expensive 128GB SSD option, but it will 99% sure be the same aluminium look.

Undecided as to whether that would be special event-worthy or something they'd do at WWDC.

9. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

I don't see why a redesign is needed. The Macbook Pros look very sexy as is.

10. andy.c macrumors member

Multitouch seems to be a logical move for the new MBP, as would the MBA-style keyboard. If they add both it would mean some sort of case re-design but like many others, I believe it will still be silver aluminum - and I wouldn't wan't anything else for that amount of money.

11. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed, my base MBP just arrived this morning. Its great as is.

12. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

agree, the design is simply timeless.

13. El Phantasmo macrumors member

They made the switch from PPC to INTEL without changing the design, so i'm sure they can pull off a penryn -> montevina update with the same design.

If they are coming up with an updated MBP with multitouch, what's to stop them from using magnetic latch and the new keyboard also? I dont think this cosmetic changes are dependent on the motherboard form factor, and besides they are super buddies with intel... they know exactly what the montevina motherboards will look like so they can probably do a new design that fits them both just as well.

I hope they use the NAB media event thats coming up in a few weeks (correct me if i'm wrong) to announce the new MBPS with penryn, multitouch, new keyboard, etc...

and THEN i will finaly get one! :D

14. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

I don't understand why people actually like the new keyboards! Black and Silver in that way just don't mix well at all.

If the new MBP comes with the new keyboards (in black), I will be disappointed and will buy a refurb current model. (The MBA keyboard with silver keys might look better)

15. SheriffParker macrumors 6502a

SheriffParker

I'm so scared of an MBP redesign. I don't know how it could possibly be sexier than the current model. If it looks more like the MacBook Air I will be disappointed.

16. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

I agree. If they redesign to be like the Macbook Air, I'll buy a refurbished current model.

17. jhande macrumors 6502

I love the current MBP design, except for two things:

1. Magnetic latches
    2. Easy to replace HD

Other than that, keep it as is.

18. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

I'm still trying to find out what advantage magnetic latches have over the current design, which works very well. Explain, please?

19. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

I quite like the mechanical latches, but I guess the benefit of the magnetic ones is that mechanical ones can break.

In my opinion, the only people want them is because it's a new feature!

20. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

Well, dropping it on a corner and denting is a new feature, too, but it doesn't really add anything

21. barijazz macrumors 6502

There was going to be a whole slew of new products at mac world. New ADCs new mac book pros. Apple told us that a super thin notebook would be stupid. But 9/11 changed everything.

22. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

HUH?

23. barijazz macrumors 6502

I love the magnetic latches.

But I wish that the magsafe wasn't as strong as it is. If you pull on the magsafe straight out, not at an angle. then you can drag it.

24. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

Push it down first. That breaks the contact and it comes off really easily. Saves strain in the wire, too . . .

25. El Phantasmo macrumors member

the magnetic latches may not add much to the MBP, but less movable/breakable parts = good

the keyboards may be just a matter of taste and it's ok if you dont like the new ones, but i would expect apple to "standarize" their keyboards... and besides, im getting used to the bluetooth kb so i would like it if the new MBP has the same feel

and regarding the current design.. i agree with everybody that the current one is really sexy and maybe the best looking notebook available, but leave it up to apple and their design team to make something beautiful even better... as an example see the white imac vs the new ones... when the whites came out they where sexy as hell and they didnt "need" any redesign, but put the white and aluminum side by side and they look 10 years appart....