Why are so many people resistant to a 4" screen?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Gjwilly, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

A 4" screen can fit on the iPhone with no change at all in the dimensions of the phone.
    3-3/8" x 2-1/4" yields a 4" screen and the aspect ratio would be the same as the existing screen.
    On the iPhone 4 there would still be room for a 1-1/2mm bezel and on the 3GS the bezel would be almost 2mm.
    I'm currently using a Griffin Elan case and even with the reduced bezel the same case could be used with no re-design whatsoever.

Yes, the ear piece and/or the home button would need to move but only by 1/8". If they both moved then they'd both move by only 1/6".

What is the big complaint about this scenario?

2. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

I think you should go and check your math again ;)

3. Gjwilly thread starter macrumors 68030

You're right.
    I forgot to halve the width difference on the iPhone 4.
    So that leaves a 3/4mm bezel.
    Is that the dealbreaker?

But my 3GS numbers are correct.
    In fact, only on the 3GS would the home button and the earpiece have to move.
    On the iPhone 4 they could both stay where they are.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

People have different needs and wants. Just because you want a 4" screen doesn't mean everyone else does.

5. Vundu macrumors 65816

Vundu

Battery life is a bigger issue than phone dimensions for me. I do want a bigger screen though.

6. FSMBP, Aug 17, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2011

FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

If I was a betting man, I would bet Apple didn't arbitrarily pick the screen sizes of the iPhone (or iPad). There obviously were many reasons for the 3.5" screen (comfort size, battery life, weight, portability etc...).

I'm not saying 3.5" screens are for everyone but the same could be said for 4" screens.

7. msb3079 macrumors 6502a

msb3079

Simple. People don't want a larger phone. I have not heard many say they would not want a larger screen in the same size casing.

Battery issues, blah, blah, blah... that's all a smokescreen... those "issues" would be figured out.

8. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

Everyone's just freaking out thinking Apple is going to design a huge truck of a phone just to get a 4" screen in it. If you've ever used phones like the Samsung Captivate you'll agree that it's implementation of a 4" screen is about as elegant as you can get and hardly larger than the iPhone. It's actually nicer to hold and pocket than the square-ish iPhone 4.

9. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

they are worried it would make it bigger and the phone as it is just the right size

10. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

I want a 4.5-inch screen like the the Infuse 4G. My Android phones have spoiled me, switching to the 4 was kinda lame screenwise :p

11. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

I've never really thought about it since I'm comfortable with the current screen but after using my friends Galaxy S2 the other day, I do think it would be nice to have a bigger screen.

12. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

I'm hoping the '5' will have the 4" screen 3/4s of the population is wanting and then the '4s' gets a processor and camera upgrade so everyone wanting the smallest smartphone on the market can still have an iPhone.

13. motty2307 macrumors regular

I for one would love a 4" screen. I just don't want a gigantic phone that doesn't fit in my pocket.

14. imotionb18 macrumors member

Just as long as the phone doesn't get any bigger I would love a bigger screen.

15. MassiveAttack macrumors 6502a

The age of the micro cellphone is over ladies, get used to it.

----------

You're grossly exaggerating :rolleyes:

16. AreYouIn? macrumors 6502a

AreYouIn?

My sister has a windows phone that has a larger screen. I loved using it. My 3gs seems so tiny now.

17. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Yup, if I had a nickel for every time someone on here argues against having more than 16GB on their phone....well, I'd have a lot of nickels. Everyone has different needs and desires for their devices.

18. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Going from a 4 inch Captivate to the 4 inch Atrix (qHD screen) to a Nexus 1 was terrible. I could never really watch videos on it and just saved them to RIL.

I'm really, really hoping they go 4 inches... but that would take away from the Retina Display hype they tend to push.

19. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Well, I remember Steve Jobs once mocked the first batch of 4 inch Android phones because of their size. Of course, he also stated the iPod would never have video capability either so take that with a grain of salt.

I think the option of a 4 inch iPhone would be great and I would prefer it over the current model.

20. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Really I would be happy with Apple fitting the biggest screen (with a slight bezel on the edges) they can with roughly the same form factor of the iPhone 4. Although if they had to widen the design by a millimeter or two to get the design right. I currently have an HD2 which has a 4.3" screen. For my personal use that's just a tad too big. The 3.5" screen on my iPod touch is just a tad bit too small for my taste. So pretty much anything in between would be good for me.

21. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

I used to have an HD2, that screen size was amazing, but I'm 6'6 so I can see how a smaller screen would suit most people better. Hopefully they make the iPhone display a little larger

22. terraphantm macrumors 68040

I personally like the current pixel density. At 4", the pixel density would drop from 330 to about 290, which is about the same as most of the android phones out there. Their screens are noticeably less crisp to me (though the black levels are nice on the OLED ones)

23. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

the size of the iPhone is great. a 4" screen would be welcome for games however. its so hard to control the people in fifa with your thumbs on the 3.5" screen :D

when the 5 comes out and if apple upgrades the screen to 4" they should also offer a 3.5" model. i think i will use 4" and we will see how it does. if i hate it i will downgrade next model. i guess one thing is though they will have to make a new universal dock as a 4" phone would not fit in that. i do like the design of the atrix 4g dock but the dock connector on the iPhone would not be on the side.

24. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

As long as I keep my Retina pixel density IDGAF about the screen size.

25. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Nothing different happens in AppleLand until Steve says so. Once that happens it's immediately embraced by the faithful.