Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Because nobody knows if a 4" screen is going to be in the works. Since they dont know, they say they dont want it but rest assured if it happens, it will be the greatest thing ever to this forum. Thats just how it works here.

I for one would love a 4" screen. I just don't want a gigantic phone that doesn't fit in my pocket.
As long as you dont wear skinny jeans, you'll be fine. My 4" screen phone fits fine in every pocket ive put it in.

Last edited:

mortenandersen

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2011
Norway
But the problem is...

People have different needs and wants. Just because you want a 4" screen doesn't mean everyone else does.

This post exactly misses the point, in spite of stating the obvious that people have different needs etc. The problem with the attitude of the next statement of the post is that there is for the time being NO choice for all of us that really WANT a 4" screen on the iPhone.

And frankly: Would it really be so negative if there had to be an slight enlargement of the overall size to get a 4" screen? (And perhaps the iPhone didn't have to get any bigger at all, after all...?)

And even more frankly speaking: Because of all the apps and more and more "computerlike" uses of the iPhone that have come to us in the last years, I really think it would be wise if Apple re-evaluated and upgraded the screen size to about 4" (not smaller), for it will give the user more space that sure will be more convenient to use, given this development regarding "computer" uses and games. And even further: Just take a look at the competing phones... with screens about 4" - such screens are very useful, and still very pocketable, and that is an important point. BTW: In my view The Dell Streak 5" screen makes it far too big for being pocketable in a comfortable way.

Last edited:

twitt3r

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2009
If it has a 4" screen, so be it. If it doesn't, I really don't care as I have absolutely zero issues with the screen as it is now. Personally, I'd rather them keep the screen the same and shrink the form factor to match it. Phones like the Galaxy S2 look and feel ridiculous.

aztooh

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2011
Aye, iPhone is so small that I always lose it in my pocket... :rolleyes: I guess some of us don't feel the need to boast about size.

I don't think anyone here is saying they want a larger screen just to boast about. If that was the case, they'd run out and get the Streak...or carry around a tablet and mifi or whatever :rolleyes:

I've used 4 and 4.3" phones and love the extra real estate, also had no problems with fitting them into jeans/pants/jacket pockets.

twitt3r

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2009
I don't think anyone here is saying they want a larger screen just to boast about. If that was the case, they'd run out and get the Streak...or carry around a tablet and mifi or whatever :rolleyes:

I've used 4 and 4.3" phones and love the extra real estate, also had no problems with fitting them into jeans/pants/jacket pockets.
So go buy a 7" Galaxy Tab if you want a larger screen... The line has to be drawn somewhere between form over function, and I just feel that the iPhone as it is, is physically just right as a fit in the hand (if not the most tactile with the sharp angled edges). If they put a 4" screen into the same form factor, fine, but if they don't increase the resolution, what of it? All we get is a lower dot-pitch...step backwards IMO.

mortenandersen

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2011
Norway
Post that misses the point

So go buy a 7" Galaxy Tab if you want a larger screen... The line has to be drawn somewhere between form over function, and I just feel that the iPhone as it is, is physically just right as a fit in the hand (if not the most tactile with the sharp angled edges). If they put a 4" screen into the same form factor, fine, but if they don't increase the resolution, what of it? All we get is a lower dot-pitch...step backwards IMO.

As I read the post about that the new iPhone can be a bit bigger without causing any problems for anybody, really, the 7" Galaxy Tab "suggestion" is so completely irrelevant and bording upon stupitity than one should not take it seriously, and perhaps I didn't get the irony...?

The important thing however is that such a way of debating is nonsense and takes the focus off what we all are concerned to speak of in a reasonable and constructive manner.

twitt3r

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2009
As I read the post about that the new iPhone can be a bit bigger without causing any problems for anybody, really, the 7" Galaxy Tab "suggestion" is so completely irrelevant and bording upon stupitity than one should not take it seriously, and perhaps I didn't get the irony...?

The important thing however is that such a way of debating is nonsense and takes the focus off what we all are concerned to speak of in a reasonable and constructive manner.
Wow, I suggest you never try to smile, you might crack your face. The 7" Galaxy Tab "suggestion" is totally relevant, seeing as though it is basically a phone with a large 7" screen, so why stop at 4" when you can have 7"? Yes, it's ridiculous, and I personally think that anything over 4" in a phone is ridiculous and serves no purpose other than to provide marketing with something to get all wet and excited about.

1. It's "bordering", not "bording"
2. It's "stupidity", not "stupitity"
3. Do you even know the meaning of the word "irony"? Doesn't sound like it.

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
The simple answer is to have an iPhone that plugs into an optional iPad type display via a Thuenderbolt connector or controls the display wirelessly. The stays small but can be used to power a larger screen, possibly in a variety of sizes and dpi's.

I know, I know. Apple would never cannibalize iPad sales. :(

aztooh

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2011

Personally, I hate the form factor of the iP4, which is why I don't have one. It was mid-cycle when my upgrade was due, and I went with an Atrix. 4" screen, damn near identical size to the 3g/s. Slightly wider, but thinner...don't think it's really any taller. Screen is about same width (if not identical) but taller...the extra pixels are great when turned to landscape to read docs/webpages and play games.

I've also messed around on both Evo models, which are 4.3, and they weren't crazy huge and easily fit into pockets.

You say 'the line has to be drawn somewhere', yet tell me to go get a 7" tablet since I want bigger than 3.5"...guess what, there are lots of alternatives in between! The "line" is, IMO, between 4-4.3". Nice screen real estate, and, unless you're <5' tall, not a very large device overall. The top and bottom bezel on the iP is larger than most new sets that carry larger screens...either make the phone smaller overall, or fill it up with more screen. Having 30% of the front basically unused is quite a waste.

mortenandersen

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2011
Norway
Aztooh has gotten the point

Personally, I hate the form factor of the iP4, which is why I don't have one. It was mid-cycle when my upgrade was due, and I went with an Atrix. 4" screen, damn near identical size to the 3g/s. Slightly wider, but thinner...don't think it's really any taller. Screen is about same width (if not identical) but taller...the extra pixels are great when turned to landscape to read docs/webpages and play games.

I've also messed around on both Evo models, which are 4.3, and they weren't crazy huge and easily fit into pockets.

You say 'the line has to be drawn somewhere', yet tell me to go get a 7" tablet since I want bigger than 3.5"...guess what, there are lots of alternatives in between! The "line" is, IMO, between 4-4.3". Nice screen real estate, and, unless you're <5' tall, not a very large device overall. The top and bottom bezel on the iP is larger than most new sets that carry larger screens...either make the phone smaller overall, or fill it up with more screen. Having 30% of the front basically unused is quite a waste.

Sorry for missellings, and I hope and know I have the ability to smile. But I don't smile when twitt3r SERIOUSLY makes such a completely unreasonable point where it is made clear that in "his world" there is in fact no difference between the "line" 4-4.3 inches (pocketable in a comfortable way) and 7 inches, which is not so. Aztooh as well pointed this out clearly. Let's not waste time and space in this forum with such nonsense, twitt3r.

twitt3r

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2009
Sorry for missellings, and I hope and know I have the ability to smile. But I don't smile when twitt3r SERIOUSLY makes such a completely unreasonable point where it is made clear that in "his world" there is in fact no difference between the "line" 4-4.3 inches (pocketable in a comfortable way) and 7 inches, which is not so. Aztooh as well pointed this out clearly. Let's not waste time and space in this forum with such nonsense, twitt3r.
FFS, you really are a bunch of stubborn whining Lemmings! I acknowledged that it was a ridiculous suggestion, you really think I meant it?! Jeez' freakin' Louise... Talk about taking things way too literally, and no, I don't want the old forum-favourite come-back, "but you wrote it so you must have meant it" crap either, it's more childish than your ramblings above. If you are unable to distinguish between sarcasm and fact, you shouldn't be on here.

I also said that I'm not resistant to a 4" screen in the same form factor, but yes, actually, there is a noticeable difference between a 4" and 4.3" screen in percentage and pocket terms. If you disagree, why not make it 4.5"? 4.7"? Please, do tell us the ideal size, I'm sure Apple would love to know.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
Wow, I suggest you never try to smile, you might crack your face. The 7" Galaxy Tab "suggestion" is totally relevant, seeing as though it is basically a phone with a large 7" screen, so why stop at 4" when you can have 7"? Yes, it's ridiculous, and I personally think that anything over 4" in a phone is ridiculous and serves no purpose other than to provide marketing with something to get all wet and excited about.

1. It's "bordering", not "bording"
2. It's "stupidity", not "stupitity"
3. Do you even know the meaning of the word "irony"? Doesn't sound like it.

There's a big difference between adding half an inch or so and doubling the size. Bringing up the 7" tablet is completely pointless. To you maybe a larger screen is pointless, to me it would be amazing. Not everyone has the hands of a 14 year old, I would like a bigger phone in order to type more comfortably in portrait.

Also, the little spelling and grammar nazi bit at the end, I'm fairly sure the forum rules frown upon that. Not everyone has the same exposure to English and education, pointing out people's typos is just a cheap trick when you have nothing better to say.

iAmYou

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2010
Yup, if I had a nickel for every time someone on here argues against having more than 16GB on their phone....well, I'd have a lot of nickels. Everyone has different needs and desires for their devices.

Actually you would only have one nickel.
Now if you had a nickel for each time someone asks that.

BlindMellon

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2011
I was so pissed when the iPhone 4 came out and didn't have the 4" screen everyone had moved to that I just kept my 3GS. Holding it in the store, it seamed TOO small. Didn't like the little square thing at all.

4" requires such a small increase in width, I can't believe we're even having this conversation, and you know all the complainers will fall right in line with how gorgeous Apple's design will be.

mortenandersen

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2011
Norway
Making an obvious but unfortunately a necessary point

I was so pissed when the iPhone 4 came out and didn't have the 4" screen everyone had moved to that I just kept my 3GS. Holding it in the store, it seamed TOO small. Didn't like the little square thing at all.

4" requires such a small increase in width, I can't believe we're even having this conversation, and you know all the complainers will fall right in line with how gorgeous Apple's design will be.

Well said! Agree!

korndawg

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2009
Iowa
There's a big difference between adding half an inch or so and doubling the size. Bringing up the 7" tablet is completely pointless. To you maybe a larger screen is pointless, to me it would be amazing. Not everyone has the hands of a 14 year old, I would like a bigger phone in order to type more comfortably in portrait.

Also, the little spelling and grammar nazi bit at the end, I'm fairly sure the forum rules frown upon that. Not everyone has the same exposure to English and education, pointing out people's typos is just a cheap trick when you have nothing better to say.

Perfect response! I'm sick of reading posts arguing that 'if u want a bigger screen, then buy a tablet!' Its the dumbest rebuttal I've read in a forum in years.

I'm in the same boat as you are as the #1 reason I want a larger screen is for the ability to type better in portrait mode. 4" would be perfect, no larger.

BlindMellon

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2011
Perfect response! I'm sick of reading posts arguing that 'if u want a bigger screen, then buy a tablet!' Its the dumbest rebuttal I've read in a forum in years.

I'm in the same boat as you are as the #1 reason I want a larger screen is for the ability to type better in portrait mode. 4" would be perfect, no larger.
You see, exaggeration is the tool of a weak argument. :)

twitt3r

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2009
You see, exaggeration is the tool of a weak argument. :)
Actually, it's a tool to prove a point - form vs function in a smartphone. You all keep on harping on about how 4" is OK or just not enough, but 7" is waaaaay too big. So what's the sweet spot? What is the perfect size phone that doesn't look like you are holding a brick to your ear when you talk, and doesn't just "fit" in your pocket like an apple can fit in your pocket, but isn't exactly practical.

If Apple made a device with a 5" screen and called it a phone, you'd all be creaming all over it. Right, that's not 7"...it's not 4" either.

metacove

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2010
They should just enable the cellular chipset in the 3G iPad to satisfy all the people who want a bigger screen :D:D:D

On that note, I'm in the wanting a 4" screen party.

NikeTalk

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2010
I like to have my phone in my pocket. Too many thiefs around here in DC just waiting to grab one out your hand or off your waist. 4+ is too big for my pocket.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
Actually, it's a tool to prove a point - form vs function in a smartphone. You all keep on harping on about how 4" is OK or just not enough, but 7" is waaaaay too big. So what's the sweet spot? What is the perfect size phone that doesn't look like you are holding a brick to your ear when you talk, and doesn't just "fit" in your pocket like an apple can fit in your pocket, but isn't exactly practical.

If Apple made a device with a 5" screen and called it a phone, you'd all be creaming all over it. Right, that's not 7"...it's not 4" either.

You have to go by common sense here and repeatedly driving your point into the ground doesn't change that. There's numerous polls here and all over the web that show 4" is "the sweet spot" for most folks (maybe not you). 4" just comes in under the line of being too big to pocket and hold. Most people say 4.3" is over that line. No one's talking about 5" or 7" here but you.

twitt3r

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2009
You have to go by common sense here and repeatedly driving your point into the ground doesn't change that. There's numerous polls here and all over the web that show 4" is "the sweet spot" for most folks (maybe not you). 4" just comes in under the line of being too big to pocket and hold. Most people say 4.3" is over that line. No one's talking about 5" or 7" here but you.
You just talked about 5" or 7"...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.