Why are there hardly any Apple stores in Canada?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cam3ron, Feb 13, 2008.

1. cam3ron macrumors newbie

Think I may have posted this in the wrong forum, sorry about that. Just a question. I mean I don't live in Toronto, Vancouver or Montreal, but why are there no Apple stores in every major Canadian city? Instead I have to take my mac to one of three apple certified technicians in my city to get fixed, which is kind of ridiculous. I would be nice to deal with someone from Apple in person...just a thought. Thanks.

2. mr.stinki macrumors 6502

I live in south tx, about 250 miles away from the closest apple store... Apple should really start locating there stores in places other than major cities. I live in a big city, the biggest with in about 100 miles (with in the US).

I mean, c'mon apple...

3. David N macrumors member

I think it's safe to say that the average city that has an Apple store has over a million people. That alone would be about 3% of all of Canada.

US: 305+ million
    Canada: 33+ million

They have almost ten times our population... Very few Canadian cities have over a million people.

I know there are cities with Apple stores with under a million in the states, but in general, they are rather large cities that are much sparser in Canada. We do have Apple stores in larger cities though...

Trust me, it makes me mad too, but we'll just have to deal with it.

4. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

It takes time and money for finding locations/hiring design team/ ordering supplies etc.. :eek:

5. cam3ron thread starter macrumors newbie

I mean we have a couple of really big malls here... and I am sure there would be no problem at all putting an Apple store in there. It just makes business sense. I definitely think that doing so would give apple more presence in the market. People like going to stores and talking to an actual person, rather than dealing over the phone with any problem they may have. Design...is pretty much standard I've been in a few stores, and to train a team would not require as much work as you would think especially for a large retailer.

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

I thought there is an online store? In the US Apple sends you a box to mail in your product, I would guess they do the same in Canada?

7. elmo151 Guest

population density and buying patterns. the stores go where they have the most opportunity for a good return,

8. cam3ron thread starter macrumors newbie

Fair enough. All I am saying is that it would only make sense to have Apple stores in every major city, it would really give them a better presence in the market as a whole. I doesn't have to be a big store like Best Buy but a small outlet in a mall or something.

9. Shackler macrumors 6502a

Shackler

10. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Haha you are funny.

We don't have an Apple store in every major US city and you think it is going to happen in Canada first. We don't even have 1 per state yet.

11. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Apple likes to put them in major shopping districts or upper class malls. From my experience, it is difficult to find either of those that have any space availalbe in Canada. I would expect more if there is a new development going in somewhere.

Same goes for the US, many places you'd think an Apple Store would be great have no openings, or are unwilling to allow Apple's Store Style to be installed. Eventually they will get there, but they don't want to pull a Gateway.

TEG

12. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

cuz steve loves us better:p

13. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

Perhaps, but if you want to compare:
    There are 4 official Apple stores in Canada. Three are in Toronto, and one is located just outside Montreal, about a 6-hour drive away.
    In other words, only 2 of our top-10 cities have Apple stores, in only 2 of ten provinces and 3 territories. My nearest Apple store is 800+ miles away, over the border in Seattle.

There's no way we should have stores in all Canadian urban centres. But we're definitely under-served by brick-and-mortar locations and being able to talk face-to-face with an actual Apple tech/employee.

14. f1 macrumors 6502

Apple Has already announced their expansion in to Western Canada. They will be opening stores in Vancouver and Edmonton, and possibly more to come in years ahead. Oh and they're opening another one in Montreal lol. Hopefully one will come to a city near you.

15. ribbonthecat macrumors regular

Because there are hardly any people in Canada.

16. akm3 macrumors 68020

I can't figure out why we don't have one in Spokane, WA. We are one of the biggest cities in America to not have one. There are much smaller cities that do.

Best Buy is the only place in Spokane to see or buy Macs.

Additionally, it would serve the booming Coeur'Dalene area in Idaho.

We need an Apple Store, please.

-Allen

17. jjasonwrght macrumors member

jjasonwrght

That is statement is certainly not true. There ARE infact alot of people in canada. Our growth rate has recently become higher then the US in the last decade and has stayed there.

Please find something more VALID for this person, and not a biased uneducated answer.

18. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

It's not uneducated; he was being facetious. And hilarious.

19. airjuggernaut macrumors 6502a

Dude, in a business sense it is TRUE.
    Our entire population is 33,390,141
    California's population is 36,457,549

We are small.

20. cosmokanga2 macrumors 6502a

cosmokanga2

Apple Store in western Canada

If Apple ever puts a Apple Store in western/central Canada, I'll be first to line up.:D

Having one in Vancouver (in late 2008-2009) is great, but for us people who live in Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Northern Ontario and the territories, there is no reliable, good store. At least I haven't found one yet.:(

Oh well, finally we have one outside of Ontario and Quebec.

21. ribbonthecat macrumors regular

I'm glad that at least somebody has a sense of humor.

Incidentally, Canada is the second largest country geographically, but the 36th largest country, by population. Plus about 2/3 of the population lives in Quebec or Ontario.

22. macdim macrumors 6502

Yeah, and you know, a LOT of the land we own is barren, snow-covered tundra that is uninhabitable by mostly anyone. So practically, we don't have as much USEABLE land as many think. Though it is still quite roomy around here :). I'd like an Apple Store in downtown Ottawa, but I'm not ignorant. It is Canada's capital, but still not one of the best prospective spots for a store to make big money.

23. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Ha!

Dude, Spokane isn't even a real city. No way they have enough population density and high wage earners to support an Apple Store. Besides, people are willing to drive to seattle for quite a bit. See Ikea.

24. hotsauce macrumors 6502a

If cows had money to spend on computers then you guys would have three Apple stores by now :D

25. MacHipster macrumors 6502

Wait. You have computers in Canada? I thought your country was still run on toboggan power?:confused::p:D