Why are there no dust filters on the Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by iRobertM, Aug 11, 2010.

1. iRobertM macrumors regular

Most of my PC's have them, I guess some can be added after market but you would think a workstation of this caliber would have them already.

2. TheShinyMac macrumors 6502a

TheShinyMac

I believe they would interfere with the cooling system of the MP, probably do more worse than good, such as more heat.

3. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

And unless cleaned, the "dust filters" in your PC's will clog up, restrict air flow, and cause overheating.

4. iRobertM thread starter macrumors regular

Here is the case I have, works well. Just clean out once every few months and done, no need to even open the case. Would have been nice to see this on the Mac Pro. Oh well no big, well see how much of a task it will be once it arrives and I have some use on it.

Attached Files:

5. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

Its a mac - its Magic - dust does not work on macs :)

6. G4DP macrumors 65816

Having a filter on the front is not a problem for the cooling. I resorted to a piece of anti mosquito netting on the front to stop the dust clogging up my '08.

The only way to remove all the dust is to take the thing apart. It clogs around the heat sinks like no other machine I have ever used. Just using a tin of compressed air on the front and just inside the case door will not do anything near a good enough job.

I asked a local reseller to clean it for me, they removed a handful of dust and crap from around the fans and heat sinks.

7. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Because then Apple would have to add something to the manual about cleaning them, and suddenly the computer "requires" regular maintenance.

Most computer enthusiasts know big towers need a good dusting every month or so. Luckily, the drawer thing in the MP makes it pretty easy to get the CPU heatsinks. Grab some canned air and blast them out (blow backwards to kick out dust the fans have stuck there), then blast clean LL the fans blades

8. Vylen macrumors 65816

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=925092

Dunno if it'll be doable in the 2010 Mac Pro's but it's something I'm considering.

Also I'm rather apprehensive about the idea of using canned air to clean electronic components. It's probably the photographer in me that's nagging me. Maybe I'll just use the a hand blower (which reminds me I should buy a Rocket Blower :p)

9. ventro macrumors 6502a

I installed a dust filter inside my Mac pro a couple years ago when I bought it. Works great, there is very little dust inside.

10. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Dust filters restrict airflow. When airflow is restricted, the temperatures rises and the system fans will ramp up to compensate.

It's best to do a periodic cleaning with a compressed air can, like say, once per month. Most of the problem areas are pretty accessible with just the side panel removed.

11. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

If a Mac Pro is on a desktop and is regularly given a dust-off treatment the lack of a filter shouldn't be a problem. I could see it being a problem if it was kept on a floor. But who would keep a Mac Pro on the floor? It's a thing of beauty that will always have a place on my desk :D

12. microcolt macrumors regular

I keep mine on my hardwood floor, but i keep it clean and out of harms way(i.e. vacuum, cats, dogs, etc.). Before I went Mac, I had an Antec 1200. That was also a thing of beauty but not as much as my MP.

I have to say the filters really were just a pain in the ass and didn't even do that much to keep the dust out. Plus if you don't maintain the filters you get a clog in the airflow thus reducing the cooling of the unit. I take pride in my Mac Pro(I'm something of an OCD Mac user) and clean it whenever I see it starting to get dusty inside and out. You'd be smart to do the same after you invest 5-6 grand in a high-end computer. :D

13. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

I will do so. No way I'm going to let my Mac Pro get clogged full of dust.

14. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

If you're getting dust in your Mac, maybe you're holding it wrong.

15. nanofrog macrumors G4

The materials used these days aren't really restrictive at all (so minimal that it's certainly not going to cause the fans to have to ramp up, unless they're too full = need cleaned). Just keep an eye on it as to get an idea as to when they need to be cleaned (takes location and environment into consideration), and there will be sufficient airflow.

If I had to guess as to why Apple didn't add any, is because what can happen if they're not cleaned out. But the same thing can happen when the various coolers get full of dust too (things "cook"). So which is worse, is hard to say.

But including them (and a means of easy accessibility) will mean additional costs to the system, so it may simply come down to dollars and cents (the accountants strike again :eek: :p).

16. iRobertM thread starter macrumors regular

You need new material, that joke is old. :rolleyes:

17. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

No idea why there are not dust filters… but after over a year and half of using mine, and cleaning it almost every week because of dust, I'll probably get some filters in there.

18. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Well, mostly because normal people clean regularly?

That includes vacuum cleaning.

Sure, there is dust inside my early 2008 Mac Pro but it isn't anything that hampers performance or cooling so far.

19. iRobertM thread starter macrumors regular

:rolleyes:

People clean the "Filter" regularly, try not being so rude next time.

20. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Try not to be so overly sensitive next time.

The reason it doesn't have a dust filter is most likely because it has no need for it under normal circumstances.

No pun intended.

21. SnoFlo macrumors regular

SnoFlo

I bought this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FJU8BC/ref=oss_product

I live in a hot climate so I kept a close eye on the CPU temperature after taping the filter to the front of the Mac Pro. The CPU temperature (according to iSTAT Pro) rises 2-3 degrees on average with the filter in place. I've decided to leave it off.

22. hakuryuu macrumors 6502

At my office I have had very little accumulation of dust and I would expect many offices (where the Mac Pro really belongs especially on the higher end) would be similar.

If used at home just vacuum often and dust with compressed air every couple months and there should be no problem.

23. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If anyone finds some good filters, please post them. I don't care about like 2ºC increases if it keeps the dust out (and my room is quite dusty, so I have to clean quite often).

24. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=925092

25. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod