Why are we so picky?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rdrr, Apr 2, 2008.

1. rdrr macrumors 6502a

rdrr

As I have read the forums and quaffed at people complaining about the slightest imperfection of their new purchase, I have always questioned why????
    :confused:

But now as a proud new owner (only two weeks) of the latest 17" MPB, I have now felt some of this pain. Right now I experience two annoying issues... The speaker pops just before any sound, almost as if the speaker was asleep and pops just before waking. And tonight I have noticed my track pad button is sticking at times... Gawd! Why am I so picky? :rolleyes:

2. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

thats not being picky, those are problems, have it looked at as soon as possible

3. forafireescape macrumors 6502a

forafireescape

Apple products aren't cheap...when you shell out big bucks for something, you want it to be done right.

4. rdrr thread starter macrumors 6502a

rdrr

so is it price, or some sort of belief that apple is better than the average hardware manufacturer?

5. Victor ch macrumors 6502a

Victor ch

Well, you did pay 2K+ for such computer... Im very picky with my blackbook and will be even more "pickier" with my future MBP. You paid a considerable amount of money for a computer, it should be as close to perfection as possible.

Victor

6. NIPRING macrumors 6502

Both. You pay a premium and you expect a premium product in return.

7. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Don't forget: Apple doesn't make the hardware; Asus does.

8. The Flashing Fi macrumors 6502a

I'll put it to you like this:

If I want the quality of a cheap Dell, I'll buy a cheap Dell, not spend more on an Apple product and not get more.

9. rdrr thread starter macrumors 6502a

rdrr

Its not that easy... Apple puts there name on it. They design it, and then approve the build.

10. rdrr thread starter macrumors 6502a

rdrr

Really how much less is a dell? $500? Don't they have same amount of defects lately? Lets not confuse this with aesthetics... Yes apple makes pretty hardware, but if it has just as many issues as a dell, does it really matter?

If you honestly think about you know the answer.

11. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Because that's how GOOD LIFE IS right now. Us humans will always have problems no matter what, even if utopia was achieved there will still be complaints!!

12. iFizz macrumors regular

I think it's just like with any other great thing. Once you've had perfection (or near-perfection) it's hard to accept anything less.

OSX...
    Great food...
    First Class seats...
    HDTV...
    great sex... :p

13. The Flashing Fi macrumors 6502a

Yup, about 500 bucks cheaper for comparable hardware. I didn't buy my MBP because of my looks, so I didn't even take that into consideration when I made my statement.

Assuming that what you said about hardware defects between Apple and Dell is true (I have no stats and you haven't shown any), I was taking in consideration the quality of Apple's service. I've gone through 3 replacement screens, and none of the times was I hassled or have to fight with the guys at the Apple store. The first screen took about 2 weeks for them to get, and they apologized for the inconvenience. The other 2 took a total turn around of 3 days, which is pretty dang good, considering that they had to order the part each time. The people I've dealt with have always been nice and patient, something that's hard to come by in computer service.

Apple's support is top notch. I've seen people bring in laptops 4-5 years old and they never turn them away. Try getting Dell to help you out with a laptop out of warranty.

While screen defects are out of the realm of control for manufacturers like Apple, Dell, HP, ect (they buy their panels from companies like LG, Samsung, ect), it's the support that matters if you happen to get a bad one.

Had I been using a Dell, I doubt Dell would replace my screen due to a bad case of backlight bleed. On the off chance that they did, they would replace the 1st replacement I got (shipping damage), but probably not the 2nd one over 2 stuck pixels, since most companies have a limit on the pixels needed to be stuck before replacing the screen.

If you happen to get a bad laptop, Apple will do their best to fix the problem (without hassling you, or speaking to non-English speaking tech support), and if they can't, they'll replace the laptop.

So far, the added price has been worth the quality of the service and product (asides from the screen, everything else is fine). I can't say the same for my POS Acer (that was not cheap when I bought it).

14. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

LOL all 4 things on your list are above great sex!!
    :eek:

15. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I think what most people forget is your computer is assembled by someone making most likely pennies a day over in china working probably 18 hours a day. Do you think that person REALLY cares if your laptop has a tiny defect? doubt it...

Im not trying to sound rude its just the reality of mass production.

16. TK B$K macrumors 6502

chrono is 100% right, these things are made in the thousandsssssssss even millions theres gonna be hundreds of defective machines. as sad as it is, its true :(

17. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

While they do make a lot less than we do you have to remember that the US Dollar is still worth a lot more than their native currency. Working in an electronics factory is actually pretty decent pay for them. However, they should work less hours. There's no doubt about that.

18. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I agree completely. With the kind of mind numbing job that must be people are gonna slip after a little bit and get more careless. Any type of assembly line worker I would say needs more breaks then anyone else just to get away from the mental strain of repetition.

19. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

If you're forced to buy hardware from a certain company in order to run the software that you want, then you want that hardware to be the best that it can be. Apple doesn't give us the choice to "vote with our wallets" and buy elsewhere.

20. gothamm macrumors 6502a

with apple charging such a huge premium, the least you can do is be picky.

In fact, it is your right to be picky.

21. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I'm not picky, I choose before I buy. I don't buy a computer and then go find its problems. I choose the one with the least problems and then buy it.

22. MacBookJoePro macrumors regular

I wouldn't really call it "being picky". When you buy an amazing machine you don't expect it to have problems. Like what the OP said, any laptop should have "popping sounds" before any sound comes out or the trackpad shouldn't be sticky. I expect whatever I buy to perform at its best (within its specifications) without any problems.

-JoE

23. iFizz macrumors regular

save the best for last... :cool:

24. PDE macrumors 68020

We're picky because Apple advertises itself in a way that highlights the quality of their design and demand more money for that design. Great design and poor quality control during assembly doesn't do us much good, does it?

Given the cost, we should demand a lot. The generally great service is worth a lot of the premium - as for quality and durability of components I don't think Apple is much better than most other companies.

25. winty03 macrumors regular

Is there any quicker way and or preferred way to get replacement units? I have sent my mbp back into apple for an exchange because I received my new mbp with a scratch on the lid. I have been without it for week and a half sent it in thursday, suppose to get it the following friday or monday (8to 10 days), seems like a long time. Is there any faster way, going to store (I bought my online)? Second how many times will they replace/exchange your notebook when you find issues with them? I feel like they have a huge hill to climb with some of these issues. (yellowing lcd, chewed up charger connector(apple rep tells me its a known issue!?), heat issues, wireless issues w/mbp? The purchase date stays the same, and they have the 14 day rule. Will they exchange at their discretion up to 90 days?