Why are you all getting the iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DoNoHarm, Jul 8, 2010.

1. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

As incredible a piece of engineering as the iPhone is, it doesn't seem to make financial sense. You've got the 3GS, this awesome device that can now multi task. Yes, the screen isn't at the resolution of the human retna but whatever, it does the job well. The battery of the new iphone may be better, but it still barely gets through a day.

The contract is BS! You're spending 2-4 thousand dollars by agreeing to AT&T's rates for two years. I just don't see how so many people are clamoring to get this phone. I've held one in my hand. It's a better device (if you discount the antenna issues), but I don't see how people are clamoring for a device that basically does exactly what the 3GS does.

2. bigred7078 macrumors 6502a

bigred7078

annnd why the heck do you care? People buy it because they want it, why would anyone need to justify something to you?

I had a 3GS prior to the iPhone 4 and i'm loving the new version.

3. Slip Jigs macrumors 6502a

4. Sedin macrumors member

OP, it's simple. I was upgrading my 2g. It may be hard to believe that such a situation would be possible. Also harder to believe that people actually really wanted and were excited for this phone. It's crazy, but people do what they want not exactly what you find "logical."

5. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Why do you drive a car?

....I don't get your logic.

6. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

QFT

7. iamuurme macrumors newbie

well because we humans are materialistic and that we want more there is no ending to our wants. that i totally agreed:)

8. Dokk macrumors regular

Well ... a lot of us didn't have the 3GS. How's that for an answer?

For me, the monthly plan is the same as I had on Sprint and I've wanted an iPhone for years but kept putting it off. It's a great phone and worlds above anything I've ever had. Same goes for my wife. And the antenna issue? Overblown in actual usage. Our bigger issue is more dropped calls with full bars, which is an AT&T problem ... not an iPhone 4 problem.

9. Mac-Michael macrumors regular

'Coz they don't put GPS and a few other things in the iPod Touch.

10. maddux2005 macrumors 6502

What does contract price have to do with it? It doesn't cost any more or less with an iPhone 4 vs a 3GS. But with iPhone 4 I get a faster phone, improved battery, MUCH better screen.

Let's face it, the screen is the thing we look at everytime we use our phone. Also I get HD video recording. Front facing camera. LED flash (which was a big one for myself) higher resolution camera.

An amazing design, heck what else can I want? It's an amazing device. Love every second of it. And the 3GS doesn't hold a candle to it.

11. BadMoon macrumors 6502

Ummm you don't even make sense. First off your post ASSUMES that buyers have a 3GS. I on the contrary. I had Verizon. I decided to finally move to AT&T. Get this! I don't talk on the phone much! I wanted a device that did it all. Video, pictures, web, and worked with my Mac without issue. So I paid Verizon a small fee and got out of my contract. I was once told to never assume. It was good advice. :cool:

12. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

HD video recording.
    Faster processor and 512MB ram, it no longer needs to reload the websites when changing from one page to the other.
    FaceTime.
    Increased battery life.

13. DirtySocks85 macrumors 65816

DirtySocks85

Thanks for assuming I had a 3GS. I upgraded form an iPhone 3G - it's quite an upgrade for me. <-that's about the most polite of a response as I could think of, people like you who make assumptions about others really irk me.

14. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

Why not upgrade? Sell 3GS, buy iPhone 4. Makes perfect sense to me.

iPhone 4 does a lot more than the 3gs.

15. Rooftop voter macrumors 6502a

I had a 3GS and loved it, so this was the next step. What pushed me over the edge to get this one? Hd camera and video camera, awesome screen, and even better battery life. Love the battery life.

16. youngplaya0228 macrumors regular

I'm only hyped to get it because my 3G is chugging along and getting unbearable to use (ear speakers messed up, home button barely works, installed iOS4, etc).

Was thinking of getting the 3GS, but might as well spend the extra $100 now and save money in the long run (in the long run, i mean i could pretty much even out next year if i sell my iP4 or pay $150ish for the new phone). I pretty much guarantee that the resell value is the reason a LOT of people are upgrading. People are literally paying nothing for their iP4 after selling their 3GS for $400+

17. brayhite macrumors 6502a

Better camera.
    Better display.
    Better video recording.
    FaceTime?
    (Supposed) better reception quality.
    Faster processor.
    Gyroscope and accelerometer.

And this is my first iPhone, so for me you have to include all of the reasons people have loved the iPhone to begin with.

For the reception issue, if anyone ever questioned me about it, my response is "I had planned on getting a bumper before I even knew about the reception issues."

For those who have a 3GS, my response to those who say "I'm buying a phone, I expect it to make phone calls, this is a piece of crap," is "If [the above listed reasons and more I'm sure] aren't worth $30 then don't buy the phone and bumper. Otherwise shell out money for the bumper and live with it." You're basically getting everything the 3GS had and more. If it costs an EXTRA $30 on top of what the 3GS was to make it all work more efficiently, and using all those extras are worth $30, then just buy the bumper.

18. labrat1996 macrumors 6502

labrat1996

Well - I was still using my first gen iPhone and it was time for a battery replacement.

19. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

I've been with AT&T since Pacific Bell (over 10 years) and I always sell my iPhone and the new one comes out for free.

So went from 3G > 3GS > iPhone 4

3GS and iPhone 4 were free for me, even made a little profit (got some banging new headphones! :D)

20. maddux2005 macrumors 6502

Oh and btw I was coming from an iPhone 3G. Not a 3GS.

21. baller1308 macrumors 6502a

22. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I upgraded from a Windows Mobile 6.1 Standard phone to the iPhone 4. I have a better display, better camera, better web browser, better integration with my Mac computers, better apps, built in GPS.

23. Swiss Miss macrumors member

Swiss Miss

Methinks OP ran away and is never coming back to read about how much of a 'tard you all think he is. :D

I had a 3GS, sold it, made a good bit of profit on it, and used some of that towards an iPhone 4 which has many added benefits on an already fine piece of electronics. Where's the downside in any of that?

24. myphone macrumors 6502

myphone

Because it's BEAUTIFUL!!!

My 3GS looks obsolete now, but I'm still keeping it and my original iPhone 2G.

25. bndoarn macrumors 6502a

1) I don't have a 3GS

2) The 3GS' they are selling now are only 8GB and I need more than that.

3) I currently have and LG Neon, enough said.