Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bornblind

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2008
Alabama
Daaaaaaaaamn! How can so many people be so sensitive and be so up in arms that I would even deign to suggest that the hype for this new phone might be a little overblown!? Wow people....

To all those with their new iphones, I hope they bring you enjoyment that makes hurling all sorts of insults around worth it.

:apple:

You asked for it didn't you?

dojoman

macrumors 68000
Apr 8, 2010
The contract is BS! You're spending 2-4 thousand dollars by agreeing to AT&T's rates for two years. I just don't see how so many people are clamoring to get this phone. I've held one in my hand. It's a better device (if you discount the antenna issues), but I don't see how people are clamoring for a device that basically does exactly what the 3GS does.

Your logic makes no sense. You're eventually going to spend that much money on another network anyway if not with ATT. Unless you want to carry NO phones.

randy98mtu

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2009
Correction on the cost. It's not 2-4 grand over 2 years. You are already paying for a voice plan. you just pay the data plan. With the new plans, that's $360-600 for 2 years, plus 200-300 for the phone. You're as low as $560 or as high as $900 for 2 years. If you can afford it, that's a small price to pay to replace your phone that you carry with you, for a phone/ipod/web surfing/camera/HD video camera/photo viewer/video editor/GPS/atlas/.........

Why doesn't EVERYONE have one?

DoNoHarm

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 8, 2008
Maine
Don't cry just because you don't have the $$ to get the i-4 :( Want me to hook you up with a few bucks?
I didn't really see anyone insult you... I did see people answering a stupid question with some straight forward answers. Can't take the heat.... well you know the rest. It's a personal choice and really none of your business. Some one in life is always going to have what you can't deal with it and move on.

If you ask troll type questions, don't get upset when people slam you.

Being condescending towards me will not change the facts. It's not a stupid question. And it's not that I cannot afford the iphone4. I'm simply making the point that all accounts point to it being a few months until verizon (and perhaps other carriers) get the iphone4. It's totally valid to point out that everyone is signing on to this two year contract that charges you the highest rate of any US carrier by a margin of 30-50 dollars per month for the unlimited plan.

To all those who have taken my comments so personally, please re-read my original post. I'm not calling anybody stupid, throwing homophobic insults at anyone, or suggesting that you are of a certain income bracket. I am simply pointing out that the cost of this phone is NOT the purchase price - it's the contract.

The fact that so many of the responders (although not all!) are responding so emotionally and feel that they need to shore up their opinion with insults speaks volumes. Enjoy your phones people, whatever they are.

iEnvy

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2010
DFW
Don't try and convince us to not get something because you simply don't have it. :p

qckslvrsiete

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
As incredible a piece of engineering as the iPhone is, it doesn't seem to make financial sense. You've got the 3GS, this awesome device that can now multi task. Yes, the screen isn't at the resolution of the human retna but whatever, it does the job well. The battery of the new iphone may be better, but it still barely gets through a day.

The contract is BS! You're spending 2-4 thousand dollars by agreeing to AT&T's rates for two years. I just don't see how so many people are clamoring to get this phone. I've held one in my hand. It's a better device (if you discount the antenna issues), but I don't see how people are clamoring for a device that basically does exactly what the 3GS does.

Well I upgraded from a 3G and the difference was like going from my old blackjack to an iphone.

And having had the iphone 4 for almost two weeks now, I have to say I disagree with your comments on the battery barely getting through the day. I had to keep my 3g constantly plugged in if I did anything but make phone calls. Yesterday I unplugged the ip4 around 9am, spent about 4 hours on the phone, did about 30 minutes of skype video chat via fring (over 3g -- which btw is another win over the 3g and 3gs), played probably about an hour worth of doodle jump/angry birds, listened to music constantly throughout the day, downloaded three apps and by 11pm still had about 15% of my battery left having not plugged the phone into a power source one time that entire day.

Point being that was a pretty heavy usage day. On a normal day I've had almost 40% battery left by the time I went to bed (between 11 and midnight usually).

I can't speak from the perspective of a 3gs owner upgrading but from a 3g owner's perspective (who also got to keep my unlimited iphone data plan -- so no 2gb cap), the upgrade was WELL worth it.

Edit: I should also add that I used GPS nav moderately throughout the day and Opera to check traffic during my 2 hour commute.

Makaveliarts

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010
1. Retina Display
2. A4 and 512 Ram
3. HD Video Recording and Facetime ( I honestly will not use it much, but it will serve its purpose.)
4. The extra Mic that helps cancel noise (One of my issues w/ 3Gs)
5. Improved Reception ( At my work while inside I get no bars unless I am close to the wall, but when I step outside, I get full bars. I am hoping I will get some bars inside my workplace now.)

Also, I am going to use the 3Gs to open up a new line for someone. So the whole waiting until the 26th ( When Apple says my phone will be here ) is pissing me off. There are more reasons but that is enough. I do not plan to switch from AT&T anytime soon anyways.

SpankWare

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2006
Being condescending towards me will not change the facts. It's not a stupid question. And it's not that I cannot afford the iphone4. I'm simply making the point that all accounts point to it being a few months until verizon (and perhaps other carriers) get the iphone4. It's totally valid to point out that everyone is signing on to this two year contract that charges you the highest rate of any US carrier by a margin of 30-50 dollars per month for the unlimited plan..

You are assuming Verizon or anybody else will get the iPhone. I'm not sure why you mentioned it because it does not relate in any way to any of your original points. All you've really done is cement the fact that you're just trolling. I suspected that from the start which is why I responded with sense rather than emotion.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
battery won't get you through a day? I haven't charged mine in 3 days

contract is bs? Been with att for 15 years, why is a contract for another 2 years bs when I am not going anywhere? I usually pay no contract price anyways!

to me the 4 is a huge step up from the 3gs

+1. Besides all that, it just makes me want to be a better man.

:cool:

mrblack927

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2008
Well I sold my 3GS and bought an iPhone 4 on early upgrade for $400. I don't see why I wouldn't get it. :rolleyes:

fuseone

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2010
As incredible a piece of engineering as the iPhone is, it doesn't seem to make financial sense. You've got the 3GS, this awesome device that can now multi task. Yes, the screen isn't at the resolution of the human retna but whatever, it does the job well. The battery of the new iphone may be better, but it still barely gets through a day.

financial sense? Most of us dont really need a smart phone but we want one any ways and if we can buy it why do you care its not your money. That would be like saying the same for any car you buy. you dont really need a brand new car. But if you have the money why not buy somthing new. Is it just you that doesnt have the money so you want to make other people think they dont need it? Also how do you know verizon wont charge more, and how long has it been said that verizon was getting the iphone?

bumzo1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2009
Dallas, TX
financial sense? I sold my 3GS for over $300 and bought my 4 for $199. I think I came out on top. Plus everything about it is 5x better.

littleluna

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2010
I also had a 3G, never a 3GS. My family and I signed up a week before Christmas in 2008, so obviously none of us were eligible for the 3GS. But I'm SO glad we didn't get it!! I waited another year and when I heard about the iPhone 4, I immediately googled it and was blown away. this thing is a friggin beauty!

Awesome display, amazing camera, video recording, app folders, faster internet browsers, etc. I love the new shape too. This thing is totally worth it!

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Being condescending towards me will not change the facts. It's not a stupid question. And it's not that I cannot afford the iphone4. I'm simply making the point that all accounts point to it being a few months until verizon (and perhaps other carriers) get the iphone4. It's totally valid to point out that everyone is signing on to this two year contract that charges you the highest rate of any US carrier by a margin of 30-50 dollars per month for the unlimited plan.

How is Verizon going to be significantly cheaper than at&t. Both require a $30/month data plan for smartphones. Voice and text plans are similar as well.

Verizon has a single line unlimited text, voice for $90/month. Add on $30 for data you are looking at $120 a month before taxes, fees, etc.

at&t has a single unlimited voice for $70/month. Add on $30 for data, and $20 for unlimited texts and you are looking at $120 a month before taxes, fees, etc.

So a serious question, how do you save $30-$50 a month with Verizon as opposed to at&t?

Attachments

• Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    73.1 KB · Views: 29
  • Picture 4.png
    Picture 4.png
    35.9 KB · Views: 25
  • Picture 5.png
    Picture 5.png
    33.5 KB · Views: 41

quotison

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2009
A Bloomberg article about the Verizon iPhone is not "all accounts" pointing towards it being available in a few months. And a Verizon iPhone would certainly not be $30-50 per month cheaper than AT&T plans.

People buy stuff because they think the benefit of having it exceeds the cost. And many enjoy having new technology even if the practical benefits aren't huge. Everything you've identified about the costs and benefits is either 1) completely obvious or 2) false, so I think that's why people are calling it a stupid question.

iLisa777

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2010
Ohio
I upgraded from a 3G to the i4.

As for the amount of $$ I pay AT&T . . . it's actually considerably less for me at AT&T with 2 iPhones and 2 non-smart phones than it was with Verizon for 1 smart phone and 2 non-smart phones. Switching to AT&T was a no brainer for me after the price comparison and the fact that Verizon has the most horrible customer service I've EVER dealt with.

The awesomeness if my i4 is just icing on the cake.

ant69

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2009
Why?.... because i want to! - if you dont want to... then dont! its just that simple ;)

Ant

jhatz

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2010
What kind of ****ing question is that? Why would you buy a new phone that's faster and has better features? Hmmm lets think about it for a second dummy.

brayhite

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
N. Kentucky
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8A293)

DoNoHarm said:

To all those who have taken my comments so personally, please re-read my original post. I'm not calling anybody stupid, throwing homophobic insults at anyone, or suggesting that you are of a certain income bracket. I am simply pointing out that the cost of this phone is NOT the purchase price - it's the contract.

The fact that so many of the responders (although not all!) are responding so emotionally and feel that they need to shore up their opinion with insults speaks volumes. Enjoy your phones people, whatever they are.

I still don't understand your contract price point. $30-$50 higher per month compared tobother carriers? Considering the only carriersvut would be fair to compare to are Verizon and Sprint, individual plans are not that much more expensive with AT&T than with Verizon or Sprint, if at all.

Being on Verizon for two years prior to AT&T, I was paying $70 for the minimum voice and unlimited data and text for a non-smartphone LG.. after my work discount. Pre-discount it would've easily cost $95. Maybe $10 less a month than what AT&T's equivalent would be. Correct me if I'm wrong but your contract point is irrelevant.

s8film40

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2007

OK so if I understand your question correctly it has nothing to do with the phone itself but more to do with the carrier, and your saying if we have a 3GS we should stick with it and wait out the Verizon or other carrier phone.

I can answer this also.

First you are assuming that everyone needs an unlimited plan, I have a 650 min plan and with N&W and M2M I never in use even close to my allotment

Second you are factoring in the total contract cost as the cost of the phone, I would be paying this anyway. I would pay more with Verizon, probably less with other less reliable carriers. I am happy with AT&T and putting my decision of phone aside would still want to stay with them, I would only consider switching if the iPhone was no longer available for AT&T.

Third you are assuming that the iPhone will be available with other carriers. While there are rumors to substantiate this they are still rumors. I'm not going to base my purchase decisions based on rumors even if I wanted to switch (which I don't). If I were waiting for a Verizon iPhone I would have spent the last three years listening to these rumors and never bought one yet.

So to sum it up, what you are suggesting would cost me more money, I would have to wait, who knows how long hoping that a rumor comes to be fact, all the while using an outdated phone. So yeah it's a no brainer from that perspective as well.:D

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Front facing camera, HD video recording, better screen, better design, faster CPU, more RAM. Need more?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.