Why are you gonna wait

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by L2gbrian, Feb 4, 2010.

  1. L2gbrian macrumors member

    Jan 5, 2010
    I know know why people are waiting for the new arrandale its getting pretty annoying. The current model is fine fast enough for the average and experienced user. Is it that you want whats new? I dont get it. Also you guys should just wait for Apple to make a release before all this guessing on when its comming out and what is has of course its gonna be better cause its a new product
  2. gothamm macrumors 6502a

    Nov 18, 2007
    It does not matter to us that YOU are satisfied and think its "fast enough", but some of us with more sense know that it is stupid to pay $2200 for a core 2 duo laptop.

    This is technology, and its leaping ever so fast. Either bring down the price of the current c2d mbp's, or keep up with the competition...simple as that.
  3. Hellishness macrumors 65816


    Jan 27, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    I am only waiting for the slim chance that there will be some case redesign or other cosmetic change. i will not need the better processor one bit, ever, but if it means better battery life (big for me) and other tweaks, its worth it.

    the main thing is that i by no means need one now, as i have four laptops (all PCs :mad:) in the house and three that i could regularly use. i would rather wait now than be sorry later.

    oh and yeah, to agree with the above poster, they are simply too expensive. old tech is old...and overpriced
  4. gothamm macrumors 6502a

    Nov 18, 2007
    sorry to break it to you pal, but a case redesign is highly unlikely, at least for the feb update. It could happen at the notebook event apple holds late in the year. But heres to hoping!
  5. NetShroud macrumors newbie


    Feb 4, 2010
    I'm waiting for either:
    1) Better tech
    2) Lower prices on the new generation
    3) Lower prices on the current generation

    but I'm only waiting until a week before I need it.
  6. o'malley macrumors newbie

    Feb 3, 2010
  7. Hellishness macrumors 65816


    Jan 27, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    oh, don't worry. im fully aware of how unlikely it is. my position is that i LOVE the current design, but have ABSOLUTELY no need for one right now. since an update is imminent, i might as well wait, for the SLIM chance that there COULD be something big.:)
  8. awdougherty macrumors newbie

    Feb 4, 2010
    I'm waiting because I would be personally embarrassed to pay $2200 for the tech in their current pro level laptops. It's not significantly different than what's currently in my macbook pro (on its last legs) from 3 or 4 years ago.
  9. Trebuin macrumors 65816


    Jun 3, 2008
    Central Cali
    Ebay, or an alternate OS
  10. fs454 macrumors 68000

    Dec 7, 2007
    Los Angeles / Boston
    I need a new laptop. Why not buy what's there now?

    Because I have a 2007 Macbook Pro that has a bigger, faster HDD, and equivalent performance to the $2500 Macbook Pro I can buy today? It is absolutely the most unintelligent move to buy such an outdated product. Core 2 is obsolete.

    It doesn't matter if the current models are "fast." as you say. The fact that I can buy something that performs up to par with what's already out for like $700 (A used Santa Rosa MBP, what I have) from 2007 instead of spending $2500 on old technology. There's a 5-10% gain clock for clock on the current models compared to my MBP. That's barely anything. AND the 9600M GT video card is the same timebomb mid-range GPU that's in my computer from 2007, just die shrunk and name changed.

    So why won't I buy the current, fast MBPs? Because I have a computer from 2007 that's the same damn thing, except mine's built worse and I don't have an undesirable piece of glass in front of the screen.

    Arrandale will top another 20% or so onto the performance gain, giving me a total of around 30-35% performance gain with reduced power consumption. The video card will hopefully not be another die-shrunk nVidia with no new tech, but instead something new.

  11. Cali3350 macrumors regular

    Feb 16, 2009
    The new update will be the largest performance improvement in Macbook History. Thats why Im waiting.
  12. Mindinversion macrumors 6502


    Oct 9, 2008
    trollin' trollin' trollin', keep those comments rollin'. . . I'll be out here LOL'in

  13. bananaboi macrumors member

    Feb 1, 2010
    Same here. Why would you ever pay $2200 for any laptop with a c2d and 9600gt? The 9600gt underperforms against my current Dell e1705's 7900gs.

    To be honest, I'm not even sure that I will purchase the MBP even when it does come out. I just don't want to be making a mistake on a $2200 laptop purchase. Personally, I'm leaning towards the Thinkpad w510 which has two usb 3.0 ports, core i7, quadro fx880, FHD matte screen, and 18 hrs of battery life for $1700. I'll give Apple until february 23rd for the update cuz I can suffice with core i5, a gpu upgrade (don't care if it's minimal, as long as it's better) and the sexy current unibody design.
  14. Nein01 macrumors 6502


    Dec 1, 2009
    wow, you make a lot of sense.
  15. oneprouddaddy macrumors member


    Jan 31, 2010
    I'm waiting for now to get better tech. Also when this site tells me to wait and not buy the current macbook pro (macbook pro buying guide), it helps me lean more to deciding to wait.

    This argument reminds me of the......

    Chevy vs. Ford
    Honda vs. Toyota
    Intel vs. AMD
    NVidia vs. ATI
    Can-am vs. Polaris
    Leno vs. Dave
    Mac vs. Windows

    .....ok maybe not the last one ;)

    but all the same, people justify what they like or have, they don't want to admit that they just sunk $1600 on a new laptop and others could get better ones if they wait so they defend the one they have.

    If you need one buy one, if you want one, wait..............I want one, I'm waiting......
  16. bananaboi macrumors member

    Feb 1, 2010
    Chevy vs. Ford
    Honda vs. Toyota
    Intel vs. AMD (I used to like AMD more back when they had the superoverclockable athlon xp series)
    NVidia vs. ATI (ATI cards have always produced less artifacts and better drivers than nvidia for me)
    Can-am vs. Polaris (have never used either one)
    Leno vs. Dave (Dave's jokes are too old for me)
    Mac vs. Windows (Only cuz more software is compatible with windows.. i might get flamed for this on this site, but it's my opinion lol. Mac OS definitely looks sexier though)
  17. puma1552 macrumors 601

    Nov 20, 2008
    Buying a new C2D MBP now would be absolutely stupid, no matter how "bad" you need it; I don't think there's anyone here who couldn't hoof it via public computers or spare laptops if their machine broke tomorrow. Everyone can make due somehow, I think. People will flame me for this, but I'm sure anyone could make due for the short-term. Worst-case scenario, buy a cheap PC and return it or sell it later.

    That aside, even if you have no intention of ever using the arrandale to its full potential, this kind of update (architecture change) only happens every few years. Why on earth would you give in to the last few weeks of a several year cycle? Performance gains aside, buying immediately before this update will absolutely tank your resale value, so you are basically just throwing away money. Regardless of whether or not you need the power, buying before any update (let alone one this big) would just be idiotic. As it is, Apple's update cycle is retardedly long at 8 months, and sadly, my 2.8 CTO original unibody (5,1) is STILL the top-end configuration you can get, 16 months later. May as well just wait for the next update since we are so so close to the end of the long 8 month cycle.
  18. NetShroud macrumors newbie


    Feb 4, 2010
    I dont trust eBay for expensive purchases.
    Windows isn't reliable enough IMO.
    Linux breaks too easily when I'm at the keyboard :rolleyes:

    Might look at refurbs.
  19. lcs101 macrumors regular

    Jan 28, 2010
    I am waiting because there is a good possibility of saving money The reason is that I would like to have 4gb of memory and a 250gb hard drive. To upgrade the lower end 13" mbp to these specs would cost $135; however, I think there is a decent chance that with the upgrade the low end mbp will come with these specs stock.
  20. Melodeath macrumors 6502a

    Dec 9, 2009
    I'm waiting for a huge number of reasons:

    1) I'm a smart consumer and always make sure I'm getting the best "bang for the buck" - this means not buying at the end of a cycle
    2) I don't need a laptop right now, I just want one. I'm using a desktop now anyway. It has issues, but it's more than sufficient while I wait
    3) I'm an audio engineer, and if I'm going to use my laptop to record and mix, I need a powerful machine
    4) Even over half a year ago I was considering upgrading my desktop PC to an i7 CPU. Why would I buy a laptop with a lesser chip than what I was considering over half a year ago?
    5) I've been burned before by apple updates. A month after I bought my iPod classic, they lowered the price $50 and added 20 GB more space.
    6) I don't think a current gen MBP would actually be an upgrade over my current 2.5 year old desktop.
    7) There's a few features of the current MBP that don't impress me much, so I might as well wait and hope they get upgraded to something more suitable (screen resolution is an example)

    All I can think of right now...
  21. Alvi macrumors 65816


    Oct 31, 2008
    Because getting the current one is like getting a 2 year old computer for a higher price than a current one
  22. dnkbro macrumors regular

    Jan 26, 2010
    I'm willing to wait because I don't think it's worth paying $1200 for a laptop that has a 160GB HDD, 2GB RAM, and an Intel processor that will be EOL in a month. It's a nice computer but the hardware is definitely dated. If I absolutely had to have a new computer, I would have already pulled the trigger but I don't so I will wait.
  23. TheStigger macrumors newbie


    Jan 28, 2010
    Three very simple words that you may or may not understand.

    Value For Money.
  24. maflynn Moderator


    Staff Member

    May 3, 2009
    I have an 08 unibody model, its clearly more computer then what I need. Light to medium photoshop, iweb/rapidweaver web publishing and Lightroom usage all right now. I don't anticipate the need to spend another 2.5k on a computer for a few more years - at least that's what I hope and with applecare I have the assurance :)
  25. DJ90 macrumors member

    Feb 2, 2010
    its 2010, even computer brands like "Acer" got at least i3 processors. hey, its Apple we talking about here, how would it feeel, if you got C2D processors on ur MBP, and ure fellow friend has i5 processors on his?

Share This Page