Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LukeG94

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2015
Chicago
Hi guys,

Would you say you are loyal to Apple? If so, why? Be interesting to see the reasons why people are loyal to a device, the brand or a service.

Thanks

Last edited:

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
Easy... its the ecosystem and "it just works" ease of use design model. It has nothing to do with features, price, etc.. Feature chasers are going to choose Android over iOS most times.

My first entry into the Apple world was an iPhone. I resisted for a while, because I was a total smartphone geek and had for 5 years prior to the iPhone introduction had devices that did much more... windows mobile, symbian, palm, etc.. I didn't get it. Then I tried an iPhone and after an adjustment period realized that it didn't do anything new, but the total experience was just so much better... and it was the ecosystem/design model.

After having the iPhone, I decided to give a Mac a try. Then an Apple TV. Then an iPad. Then more of all the above for my family. Now, having something that is not part of the Apple ecosystem that my family and I use just creates tremendous friction. I did have an Android phone for 6 months earlier this year due to a job change... a Galaxy S5... and it was an incredibly frustrating experience. Happy to now be back with iOS.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Ecosystem for me also. I want all of my devices to play nicely together, and Apple has made great strides in that area with recent updates (continuity, airdrop, etc). Switching out one device for a non-Apple alternative wouldn't make much sense in the absence of some compelling reason for it.

Which brings me to my second, related point: the iPhone has been a good experience for me since 2007 and gets better each year. Android and Windows phone probably have nice features, but I really don't feel that my iPhone experience is in any way unsatisfactory or lacking, so I'm not about to mess with a good thing.

Jetcat3

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2015
For me it's about sticking up for a company I think is the best. I actually believe the 6s is the fastest, most efficient smartphone money can buy. Really the only way it's possible is by pairing hardware with software and I think Apple does a tremendous job with this. I'm always on Safari and it has been a joy to use on the 5s and 6 Plus (reduced transparency turned on). Really the 6s Plus is the best phone in the word in my eyes, albeit with a less than useful footprint but definitely still manageable.

emilioestevez

Suspended
Aug 25, 2015
because android sux donkey dix amirite guyz

Really though, iOS is so much more polished versus the competition, the app selection is far better, the hardware blows competitors out of the water.

The big ones for me: no bloatware, no Google apps.

But FFS Apple, quit thinning your phones and pack more battery into them!!!

e93to

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2015
Toronto
I wouldn't mind trying other phones. As a matter of fact, I would love to. But iCloud lord is in possession of all my schedules, contacts, notes, reminders, etc. it would be a hassle to move all those data to a new phone. Furthermore, those features seamlessly connect with my Mac computers. With other phones, I wouldn't have the same luxury.

Reactions: LukeG94

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
First of all, as one who teacher college classes, this is poor research.

Secondly, and more to the point:
  1. Quality/reliability
  2. Ecosystem interoperability
  3. Customer service

Reactions: ABC5S

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
The build quality of Apples products all of them not just the iPhone. Also the products all kind of match, I can get them in the same colors I like that. When I pick up another iPhone I know what the icons look like because they are the same. I know were the stuff is in the settings. I know how to use the camera app on another phone, that sort of stuff. Android would say that's boring but for me when someone says I can't turn off a camera filter I know exactly were it is.

LukeG94

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2015
Chicago
First of all, as one who teacher college classes, this is poor research.

Secondly, and more to the point:
  1. Quality/reliability
  2. Ecosystem interoperability
  3. Customer service
Can you please elaborate as to why this is poor research? Primary netnography is a valid method of research, and supplies a knowledge gap within pre-existent apple consumer research.

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
Honestly, its because they make quality products.

I first went with iOS because of the interface. I loved the "skeumorphic" design, it gave the essence of life behind the screen, turning of pages in iBooks blew my mind. And it was soooooo smooth. And their aesthetics of their products design was important to them. If the iPhones were made of plastic, I would've honestly not have been as interested in them as I am now. So from the beginning, I liked everything they were doing.

Another thing I liked about apple was that they always would polish up their products before release (but this seems like more of the past than recent). So other phones would come out with features before apple did, but you could tell those features were half-assed. Apple took its time bringing features of other phones to the market; but when they did, the experience on those were flawless. That is... until the Apple maps era. After that, it seems like they have been trying to rush things out to be competitive in the market, such as the Apple watch and WatchOS1. I think this reflects the main difference between the Jobs and Cook management. I felt Steve was more invested in the quality and completion than Tim is.

Now why do I keep buying them?
1. I am invested in the ecosystem. My family all use iMessage and FaceTime, which is super convenient when they are a whole continent away. I don't see a reason to switch now and force everyone to get some other apps to communicate.

2. The software. Ive been a windows user all of my life up until 3 years ago. OS X's multitouch gestures blew my mind! Ever since, I don't use windows unless I have to. Ive used iOS since the iPad in 2008. I just know it so well inside and out that it doesn't even seem worth trying to learn a whole new system. Plus when I went from my iPhone to an HTC, I just didn't like my phone anymore. It felt more of a hassle trying to do something on that phone than on my iPhone. I don't know if it was the phone itself, or android, but it just wasn't for me.

3. The've still got it with the physical design. Ill admit that I wasn't too fond of the iPhone 6 design, especially because of the camera, but I do prefer it to alternative phones and tablets out there. Macs as well. The one thing I love about the mac is its sleek metal look. I understand that the plastic other manufacturers use is for cost, but I just can't even... I will say though, the surface pros never jumped out as me as anything special, but the surface book actually has a really good design (sans the hinge).

4. They can advertise their beautiful designs. Now at this point I may just be entranced by apple, but they advertise their products in a way where it makes me think "hey, I can use that". Normally Im not one to fall for advertisements, but I fell for one of the Apple Watch videos, then I bought it. Their stores are also a good marketing strategy! I wasn't interested in the new Apple TV until I went into a store and played with one, then I wanted it because of how much of an upgrade it was to the previous model. When I see the amazon fire table, tv, samsung phone, or other ads, I just think "meh". They don't propel me to get one. Even less so, the ads that are actually bashing the devices I use now... I understand their strategy, but their ads aren't making me regret my purchase at all.

I will say though, that my last 3 Apple purchases I did regret getting (iPad Pro, Apple Watch, iPhone 6 plus). I am definitely an Apple fan, because I think they do it all so well. But it seems like Im starting to realize that I don't need all of the gadgets they come out with. Besides, no other company has enticed me enough to switch. The surface book is the closest thing to make me move away from Apple, but it still hasn't succeeded mainly because of the price vs potential resale value. Apple products have an amazing resale value compared to other companies.

EDIT: As someone mentioned above, customer service! The genius bar helped me so many times, free of charge might I add! Ive never had a bad experience with them (except for the waiting time) :p

Last edited:
Reactions: HEK and LukeG94

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Can you please elaborate as to why this is poor research? Primary netnography is a valid method of research, and supplies a knowledge gap within pre-existent apple consumer research.

Quick to say this is poor research, can you explain why?
Just my opinion but I'm a bit of a curmudgeon and traditionalist:
  • No demographics information
  • Polling subjects with biases of extremes
  • Vague and unquantifiable (or difficult to quantify) polling questions.
To name a few.

Suspended
Sep 15, 2012
iPhone was my first smartphone, and the couple times I've had Android, I was not impressed with battery life nor ease of use (this was during the ICS days).

Last edited:

LukeG94

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2015
Chicago
  • No demographics information
  • Polling subjects with biases of extremes
  • Vague and unquantifiable (or difficult to quantify) polling questions.
To name a few.
The key demographic is that of lifestyle; loyal apple consumers. I am researching the propulsive factors behind brand loyalty, not the profile of the consumer.

Secondly, when researching a brand in particular, bias is an unavoidable obstacle, but can be addressed with further research enquiries, also researcher bias will be excluded from the secondary research being conducted synonymously.

Thirdly, the research is qualitative, there needs to be no quantifying when using thematic analysis. I am not looking for specified responses, every consumer has a different response which is extremely valuable to the research process.

GadgetBen

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2015
London
I had the first few iPhones and then I got fed up with the small design so I switched to Android when the S3 came out and bought a galaxy tab too. I immediately found that Android was far too disconnected to the user. For example, the typing for messages was frustratingly out of sync and not as smooth as iOS, typing with one hand was a nightmare. The apps I was using simply weren't available on Android. The final straw was the typing and screen interface though. The response time and ability to use the phone in a rush was just not there. As soon as I switched backed to iPhone 5 it was so easy to use and I had all my apps back. I was still frustrated that Apple only had the small phone though, but glad when they bought out the 6 model. The main reason for upgrading to 6 was the size.

I wouldn't call it loyalty, its appreciation of a high standard. Apple simply don't just pump out multiple phones for the sake of it. You can take you phone or product back to Apple Store and get expert help or a replacement for a faulty product without fuss or challenge. With Apple I feel like I am more connected to my phone than I was when using Android and more supported if anything goes wrong.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
The key demographic is that of lifestyle; loyal apple consumers. I am researching the propulsive factors behind brand loyalty, not the profile of the consumer.

Secondly, when researching a brand in particular, bias is an unavoidable obstacle, but can be addressed with further research enquiries, also researcher bias will be excluded from the secondary research being conducted synonymously.

Thirdly, the research is qualitative, there needs to be no quantifying when using thematic analysis. I am not looking for specified responses, every consumer has a different response which is extremely valuable to the research process.

IMO:
What is the guarantee that your respondants are "loyal Apple consumers"? What does "loyal" even mean? The profile of the consumer is almost always pertinent, as it nearly always influences how & why one became a consumer of product X.

The nature of these forums are extremely bipolar; it's filled with both adoration and disdain for Apple and its products. I'm glad that further research enquiries are being considered. Typical essays submitted include little less than, "Yeah, so I asked some people online, and this is what they said." You most definitely do not appear to fit this profile.

Perhaps I've delved too deeply in research too long or your assignment doesn't require as much, but most relevant research does need to be quantifiable to be reputable. (E.g. What percentage of respondants responded in the affirmative as to whether price is a factor when purchasing, but how many of said respondants are actually responsible for the purchase of their products.)

I.e. I probably spoke too quickly and harshly, as "research" needs and goals may vary greatly. You, however, seem to be far ahead of those whom I'm typically responsible for berating instructing.

Cheers and best of luck.

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
Security is #1 for me. After that we've got the attention to detail, ease of use, seamless ecosystem and minimal problems compared to other platforms/devices. Life is hard enough without having to constantly diagnose and fix issues with bits of technology I've purchased.

LukeG94

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2015
Chicago
IMO:
What is the guarantee that your respondants are "loyal Apple consumers"? What does "loyal" even mean? The profile of the consumer is almost always pertinent, as it nearly always influences how & why one became a consumer of product X.

The nature of these forums are extremely bipolar; it's filled with both adoration and disdain for Apple and its products. I'm glad that further research enquiries are being considered. Typical essays submitted include little less than, "Yeah, so I asked some people online, and this is what they said." You most definitely do not appear to fit this profile.

Perhaps I've delved too deeply in research too long or your assignment doesn't require as much, but most relevant research does need to be quantifiable to be reputable. (E.g. What percentage of respondants responded in the affirmative as to whether price is a factor when purchasing, but how many of said respondants are actually responsible for the purchase of their products.)

I.e. I probably spoke too quickly and harshly, as "research" needs and goals may vary greatly. You, however, seem to be far ahead of those whom I'm typically responsible for berating instructing.

Cheers and best of luck.
I don't view your comments critically, I'm generally glad to hear feedback from an obviously informed source! as to your point about what is loyalty, this is addressed within a literature view, taking shape from Oliver (1999)'s "Whence Consumer Loyalty".

I will take your comments into consideration, and hopefully better shape my research paper accordingly.

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2010
New York
I'm not loyal. The moment a different phone fills my needs, I'll switch. And I'll switch right back to Apple if they do the same after that.

* Right now, I'm mostly hooked on the iPhone screen. I don't like the Super Amoled or even regular Amoled saturation. It straight up makes my eyes hurt. The color saturation on the iPhone is just right. It's not dull, nor is it unnaturally vibrant. Screen brightness outdoors is amazing.

* iMessage I admit is a selling point (but not a deal breaker vs Android) as my family uses iPhones, and the vast majority of people I text with use iPhone. I don't use Facetime as much as I'd like, but now and then my little kids (3&6) like to Facetime with me from our Family iPad while I'm at work. Facetime is nice and simple for them.

* Consistency from year to year. When I was on Android, you never knew what the next year would bring. Sometimes the new year would bring nothing of interest at all, which can also be a good thing, then there is no desire to upgrade. But when it IS time for a new phone, it's like starting from scratch. Designs change drastically, especially between Android phone manufacturers. The way the OS works changes from maker to maker, and from year to year. Samsung has stayed pretty consistent, but I've had my share of Touchwiz from Galaxy devices I've owned in the past. With the iPhone, I always know that next year will be familiar enough that it's always going to feel comfortable, the OS will be easy to adjust to, and the screen will be of similar or slightly better quality.

I tried to switch to the Nexus 6P this year, just to see, but the screen turned me off right away. Crazy saturated in normal mode, crazy muted in sRGB mode, and the screen brightness was pretty sad when compared with the iPhone 6S Plus.

Next year I'll be just as open to a move back to Android though, if it fills my needs and hits all the marks.

Reactions: Jetcat3 and LukeG94
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.