Why are you people so worked up about battery life?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by oban14, Jul 16, 2008.

1. oban14 macrumors 6502a

When I'm at home, my phone is charging. When I'm in my car, my phone is charging. When I'm in the office, my phone is charging. When I'm sleeping, my phone is charging. I'm the same way with my iPod and other portable devices... I haven't had a battery die on me in I don't know how long.

Are you guys just annoyed that you can't leave it unplugged for 2 days without charging it? Don't want to spring for a car charger or a travel charger? What's the big deal? :confused:

2. mctrees02 macrumors member

I think some people like to pretend that they're on the phone 24/7 so they don't have time to charge the phone. Here's a thought...put one of those goofy BT headsets on and talk on your phone WHILE it's charging!!!

3. yode macrumors 6502

people are complaining that the battery won't last them one day of use

4. teiresias macrumors regular

It's a portable device, I shouldn't have to haul around the included cable with me all day so I can charge it whenever I happen to be near an outlet or a PC with a USB port. Similarly, I shouldn't have to buy a bunch of extra charging cables to be able to use the device.

It should at least have enough battery life that you're confident you'll make it through a whole work day without any access to power and under normal use.

That said, I don't have issues with the battery life on my 2G phone using the 2.0 update.

5. estark macrumors newbie

When I am at work, I carry my phone. When I am in my car, I can charge the phone. When I am at home, I use my phone as an iPod. When I sleep, I can charge my iPhone.

So far I have been getting a twenty percent warning by early afternoon with only an hour of talk time. This doesn't come anywhere close to Apple's claims.

6. animenick65 macrumors 6502

My battery is fine here. Finished charging about 5pm yesterday. Used it for an hour of browsing, played music for a couple of hours, made about 20 minutes of calls, about 50-60 texts, downloaded a couple of apps, played tap tap revolution for a bit and played a couple podcasts this morning. Just now getting the 10% warning. I throttled edge, wifi and location services when needed.

7. sananda macrumors 68020

because other people are not you, don't have the facility to charge after leaving home and find the battery doesn't last all day.

8. WoodwardsFriend macrumors member

Don't be rational. People hate that. Actually the iPhone's 3G battery life seems pretty comparable to the Razr phone I have now. Complaining about battery life is just stupid.

9. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

The only time I have my battery come close to dieing is at work... When I sit on Edge or 3G all day. And that comes right close to apples claims. Wasn't that only supposed to be like 4 hours? I actually used it like a phone with internet one day (rather than a computer with a phone) and it barely was a quarter down by the evening. :D Pretty good in my mind :D

10. BongoBanger macrumors 68000

BongoBanger

Yeah, we should all accept battery life that is significantly lower than Apple claimed it would be. :rolleyes:

11. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

I have not used ONE device (Apple or any other company) where the battery life was the same as advertised. That's why when any device comes out, someone relases actual battery life results.

12. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

what happens when someone goes camping, or somewhere where there is no power. i expect my phone to last more than a freakin day on a charge.

13. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

One day, on a WootOff on www.woot.com they were selling http://www.blackanddecker.com/ProductGuide/Product-Details.aspx?ProductID=17060 all day and they had things plugged into them. I was hoping I'd get the iPhone plugged in but instead got two of these things. I didn't know what the hell I'd ever use them for, but now I've got a great tool. :D I don't think they're that expensive (MUCH cheaper than a cellphone battery costs) and you can just plug your phone into the USB when camping :D

14. dabigone macrumors regular

mine had a little under half battery last night...when I woke up it was dead. That's total BS.

15. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

It is not just lower. It is significantly lower. Apple claimed that the 3G phone gets better battery life than then V1 iPhone. An hour better in some cases. It does not. By my experience and reading other reports here on Mac Rumors it gets 2 hours LESS than the original phone. A three hour discrepancy is not trivial. It is not just "well my phone got 20 minutes less than Apple claimed so I'm complaining."

Overall, the complaints are not that the battery life is not as good as they would like it. The complaints are that something is wrong. It could be the firmware. It could be bad batteries. No one knows at this point. But there is something wrong.

16. BongoBanger macrumors 68000

BongoBanger

So Apple lied then? OK.

17. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Go and buy a 3G touch screen phone with better battery life then, oh wait there isn't one.

Your asking Apple to do something that isn't possible. They could make it thicker, then we'd get twice as many threads from people like you moaning it was thicker than the old one.

18. oban14 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Last time I went camping, I drove to the campground, so you could always charge your phone there. Here's a thought, though: turn off the phone while you're camping.

Did you really go way out into the woods to pitch a tent and surf the web?

19. RSC10 macrumors member

RSC10

I experienced similiar issues with battery life until I decided to drain the battery completely and then fully charge (a full cycle). Once I accomplished this task I noticed an immediate and serious improvement in the battery life...and I suspect the battery meter is more accurate too (not sure why though). Give it a shot. Hope you get the same results...

20. Dammit Cubs macrumors 68000

Dammit Cubs

If you're taking your phone to a trip where the phone should only be used as a necessity then you got straighten your priorities. You don't even get signal let alone a 3g signal. So you should turning off 3g when you're in a NON-3g area. My battery lasts 24 hours with every on. Learn to manage.

What's next? You bring a plasma tv to watch the game with the bears?

21. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

I think most of the complaints come from people who have not had an experience with a 3G phone period. I had a BJ2 when I first signed up with AT&T back in May and I could barely make it through the work day with the phone. I keep access to chargers wherever I go so I don't feel the need to complain about it. If it's that big of an issue then simply return the phone and resort back to the 2G. In this day unfortunately not everyone is going to be satisfied with :apple: or any company for that matter.

22. blueflame macrumors 6502a

blueflame

I actually noticed the same thing. I know a lot of people are saying that the battery in the phone does not have a memory, therefore the calibration does nothing, I, from my own experience,saw that it did. It may be software, but it worked. I can now get about 1.5 days or average use, vs my old iphones 2 solid days of use.

23. yode macrumors 6502

LG Dare (also user replaceable battery)

24. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

Yea, it's not so much memory like kb and bits and stuff... but a physical memory.

At least I'm pretty sure it's the case.

25. Loonytik macrumors 6502a

Loonytik

LG Dare....junk.

I played with this thing for about an hour yesterday at the store and found myself frustrated at the shoddy menus and functions. Nothing to see here folks...move along.