Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bentrider

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
Maybe I'm new here... Maybe only negative stuff is allowed here... I don't know. But I need to say this.

I don't seem to have the antenna issue. I have to wrap the phone very unnaturally and wait about five full minutes to lose three out of five bars. Tried it everywhere in Rochester, NY. Maybe I'm lucky. Obviously there is an issue here. BUT...

I've had issues with Apple stuff before. I had an iMac with a dead HD after two months. The camera went bad on my original iPhone 2G after six months. The optical drive in my MacBook died after a year... And yah know what? Apple ALWAYS made it right. That's why I buy all their stuff. Mistakes happen. JD Power rates them #1 for customer service FOR A FREAKING REASON!!! Why is no one willing to just give them a couple weeks to figure out what to do? They've had issues before and fixed them. Why are we so quick to ignore their track record and freak the hell out? It's bewildering to me.

Yes, Steve's email response was EPICALLY STUPID but he's one man who was probably having a VERY bad day. If this issue still exists in a month with no resolution... hand me a pitchfork and I'll join the angry mob. But right now??? A few days out??? Just chill out for a few days and see what happens!!!

The Nexus One had a similar issue and it took almost six months to fix. My bet is that it will take Apple less than one. I doubt many of you will bet against that if you let your anger pass and think about it logically.

elephunkman

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2010
Boston
Because some of us need our phones for important things, like school and work. Some dropped at least $200 for this device, some $600, and them telling us to give more money just to solve a problem caused by Apple is unacceptable.

Without reception, it is not iPhone, just i(something).

bentrider

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
Because some of us need our phones for important things, like school and work. Some dropped at least $200 for this device, some $600, and them telling us to give more money just to solve a problem caused by Apple is unacceptable.

And it's really SOOOO bad that you can't make calls at all? You can't hold it differently for a few days to see what happens? Your valuable time is better spent complaining on a message board? Not trying to be a dick. Just trying to give some perspective here. It's Apple. They have teething issues. They fix them. Hasn't it ALWAYS been this way?

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
Because people like to complain.

And because of Steve's answer (if it actually is a real mail, because it might be just as well a fake one).

renewed

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2009
Bemalte Blumen duften nicht.

And without a HD it's just a block of art. Apple made that right and let them have a chance at making this right. It's been 3-4 days since the iPhone was received by the public. Apple are humans just like you and I. Me personally? I have had no reception issues because I don't grip it like the last popsicle at fat camp. But for those of you who are figuring out a way to obscure reception, try giving Apple a chance to fix it.

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
Well some people actually need a phone to make calls and not dicking around.:rolleyes:

Considering the iPhone 4 can lose reception just by loosely gripping it in your left hand, its a problem. Yes, i went to my apple store, and held 7 different phones in my left hand lightly, and the bars went down and down until there was zero. Yes the store had more than 7 iPhone 4s, but I think 7 of them with an issue is serious. I wasn't even gripping then tightly, and it lost signal.

mattkowalski

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2010
From what I've seen, Apple have their head buried in the sand and aren't admitting it's a real issue. Until Apple put their hands up and say "hey, sorry guys, we've made a mistake here", I can't see much being done. Apple's response of "well, don't hold your phone like that" is insulting and patronising at best.

And for that reason, I definitely understand why a lot of people feel cheated by Apple, having swarmed in with pre-orders, only to find that Apple appear to have made a fundamental design error, with one of the most basic features of the phone. Its ability for voice calls!

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.

What’s amazing is that one of the supreme fanboys in another thread stated that if you wanted the phone in iPhone, then get another phone.:eek:

I kind of agree with the OP. It’s upsetting that this has occurred, but no reason to totally abandon ship. We just expected more, since Steve was all about how magical this iPhone was. Apple creates its own hype. I still may but the phone, but I’ll definitely test it in the store first.

Oh, and OP, not only negative stuff is allowed on MacRumors; it just may seem that way at times. Wait a few weeks and a lot of these posters will be gone. Welcome to MR.

matt550

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2008
I think some sort of public statement that they are aware of the issue and they are working on it. I think that would calm alot of people down.

bentrider

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
Seems you just joined to defend them based on your threads. One would have to think that Apple DOES send folks like yourself to do some damage control.

I actually joined because I just moved to Rochester and was looking to see if anyone was meeting up at the Victor Apple Store. They were and I met some nice people there. But this hysteria is making me rethink whether or not I want to stay around for long.

master-ceo

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2007
The SUN
So, people are not supposed to be upset about false advertisement?

This apple practice has to stop.

If you are happy with your phone, cool.

What if Martin Luther King never complained?

What if Nobody complained. about BP spilling Oil in the Gulf?

Complaining Brings Change. (sometimes)

bentrider

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
What if Martin Luther King never complained?

What if Nobody complained. about BP spilling Oil in the Gulf?

Seriously???? You're comparing your phone problems to THAT????

And complaining is one thing but when I've said I had no problem with mine, I was told I was lying! I started this thread and was told I must work for Apple! Some people here are out of their freaking gourds!!!

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
Seriously???? You're comparing your phone problems to THAT????

And complaining is one thing but when I've said I had no problem with mine, I was told I was lying! I started this thread and was told I must work for Apple! Some people here are out of their freaking gourds!!!

Calm down. These are forums. You need to learn who to ignore. It’s just words on a screen.

Zhe Wiz

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2008
Yes, Steve's email response was EPICALLY STUPID but he's one man who was probably having a VERY bad day. If this issue still exists in a month with no resolution... hand me a pitchfork and I'll join the angry mob. But right now??? A few days out??? Just chill out for a few days and see what happens!!!

Well, Steve's statement was exactly why I gave up. Sounded like Apple's fix was "hold it differently" since that was the only official statement!

Now that it sounds as if they are working on a fix, I'm good, I'll wait for it, I just hope it works. Losing a bar or two is normal, losing service completely is not.

Zhe Wiz

Pheelyx

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2007
Arkansas
I figure will see some kinda fix soon. My phone loses a couple bars if I hold it on lower left seam. But not too worried about it.

I use a bluetooth headset to make calls, so not a problem for me. I can't imagine holding a phone to my head every time I want to make a call. Especially since some of my phone calls may last 3-4 hours.

Voice control and headset FTW

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Because Apple has slipped, they used to offer great 1.0 versions of products.

Now they have a habit of pulling a Microsoft and putting out buggy 1.0 versions that are missing some features, have usability bugs, and when we buy those 1.0 products we are told the fix will be coming later.

Sometimes they are fixed later, other times we have to wait buy the upgraded version of a product.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
Well, Steve's statement was exactly why I gave up. Sounded like Apple's fix was "hold it differently" since that was the only official statement!

Zhe Wiz

Is there any real proof that shows that Apple (or Steve Jobs) actually said this other than some faceless blogger or poster that showed an email response? Just asking.

I think some sort of public statement that they are aware of the issue and they are working on it. I think that would calm alot of people down.

It MAY (and I wouldn't hold my breath knowing this forum) calm some people down but it would greatly disturb ALL of their shareholders which is why it's not a good idea for any publicly traded company to admit faults and problems, especially under a week after a new product was just released. It's best for them to tackle this issue and say after a month there's no fix other than to do a recall then it's time to make a public statement.

elephunkman

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2010
Boston
And it's really SOOOO bad that you can't make calls at all? You can't hold it differently for a few days to see what happens? Your valuable time is better spent complaining on a message board? Not trying to be a dick. Just trying to give some perspective here. It's Apple. They have teething issues. They fix them. Hasn't it ALWAYS been this way?

Yay, you're complaining here too. :) Never said I had issues, read again.

Orange™

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2010
Lucky Me?

I've had 5 bars since I first got it. Continued to have 5 bars when I put the bumber on 2 days later.

I love :apple: :p

Maybe it's a location thing? San Diego, CA represent!!! :cool:

The lowest reception that I have ever noticed (from glancing down 50 or so times) was 4 bars!!

fisherttm

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2010
So I have had the issue with a dropped call from holding it on that spot even when I was thinking about trying not to hold it like that; but to be honest it's somewhat difficult since I am left handed just doesn't seem natural in my right hand and my palm ends up covering up the connection. But what I did was just pulled out the headphones and microphone and used those for now wasn't a big deal for me. I'm one of the most cynical people alive but I am willing to at least give them time to try and fix this issue before I destroy a company that up to this point has always been good to it's customers. I guess this is the curse of being Apple when you have the fan base they have and put out such good products when something goes wrong those same passionate customers are ready to bury you as fast as they love you.

bentrider

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
Yay, you're complaining here too. :) Never said I had issues, read again.

So... You're saying "Without reception, it is not iPhone, just i(something)." without actually HAVING one? That's better. I apologize.

(BTW took me ten minutes to respond because you kept editing your post.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.