Why Arrandale won't be released until 2011

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BluAffiliate, Mar 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BluAffiliate macrumors regular

One word: The iPad.

The iPad can be construed as a competitor to the MacBook Pro. It wouldn't make sense to release two products that can be somewhat competitors to each other so close together. Apple isn't going to give you the choice of either getting a new laptop or getting an iPad, and in fact, they will ride this out all the way to Christmas (anyone seeing an iPad 3GS by Christmas?). Sorry guys, no Arrandale any time soon, bookmark this thread so I can say "told ya so" in 2011.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Finally someone with the Chutzpah to say the truth.

Thank you.

I mean I'm eagerly awaiting new MBPs with the i7, but as everyone can see, the iPad is the better alternative.

I originally wanted to go with the 17" MBP, as my June 2009 17" MBP definitely shows its age, it needs more than five seconds to open iTunes, and don't get me started on Safari, I can't have more than 50 tabs and 10 windows open, while MPEG Streamclip does what it does best, batch transcoding lots of footage. And how the hell am I supposed to use multi tasking when the machine slows down at 25 open applications? The iPad can do all that and much more.

I hope FCS and Avid will be available for the iPad, as those are my main tools to use. And if they release Discreet Smoke for the iPad all the better.
    The iPad is the power horse anyway, and it is aimed at all professional users.

And don't expect to see a Mac Pro update until 2012.

3. JacaByte macrumors 6502

Read my lips; no multi-tasking, no flash support, and no support for OS X native applications. (Photoshop, Aperture...)

That's why the iPad is not a competitor to the MacBook Pro.

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Are you smoking henna?

Multi tasking was fad of the last decades, the new fashion is running one application at a time. Much more efficient that way.

Sorry OP, that everyone thinks you're a troll while you the only person on this planet to see the truth and listen to the voices.

I'm still afraid to listen to the voices in my head, how do you do that??????

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

5. alexlam macrumors newbie

by NO means do i consider the ipad a competitor to the macbook pro. A macbook pro and an ipad do two completely different things. For one, the macbook pro is a computer with an os.. second.. a macbook pro with Arrandale and a macbook pro without Arrandale does not steer someone toward or away from the ipad. Consumers who are tech savy might do their research and wait for the new macbook pro, others who aren't tech savy might just get the current macbook pro regaurdless. If they want a computer, they want a computer. not an ipad. I guarantee MAJORITY of people on this forum aren't settling on an ipad because Arrandale hasn't come out yet.

6. 2contagious macrumors 6502a

2contagious

lol at this.. you probably also think that steve jobs 'wanting to take macs to the next level in 2010' was all about the iPad right? weird thing is.. he said that after the iPad announcement :rolleyes: :D

I can't see MBP updates not happening in the next few weeks.

7. charpi macrumors regular

No, these two products are sooo going to be competing against each other. Didn't you guys know that apple is planning to use A4 chips in their new MBPs and the Arrandales for the iPad?

/sarcasm (in case people still haven't got it yet) :p

8. BluAffiliate thread starter macrumors regular

Sure, call me a troll when you hear something you don't like. But like I said, keep this thread bookmarked, because when 2011 comes around you'll be sorry.

Put yourself in the shoes of someone's mom. You want to buy your kid or your husband a Mac product. You think the iPad is really cool and popular but you also realize that a Macbook pro is pretty cool and you have a hard choice picking. You pick the iPad because its cheaper and trendier OR you pick the MacBook pro because it's more useful. You plan on getting them the other product later on but something cooler from another corporation comes out by then and you get that instead .. AND, by then one or the other products is getting old and obsolete! Why get it?

Why would Apple want this above situation to happen?

How about releasing just the iPad, have that dominate 2010 all the way up until Christmas. Expose the product to people who've never owned a Mac because they think it's too expensive, but get them addicted and comfortable with an Apple interface. Release the new line of Macbooks in 2011 to seal the deal and make them Apple customers.

MY LOGIC IS IRREFUTABLE, THIS IS HOW IT WILL PLAY OUT, HEED MY WORDS!

Just because you think the iPad is not a competitor to the Macbook, doesn't make you right. In the eyes of the consumer the iPad is just an affordable substitute to the Macbook Pro. It doesn't matter if the iPad doesn't do the same functions or whatever, all that matter is the economics behind it, WHICH ARE IRREFUTABLE.

You really think Apple is going to flood the market with new products in the back end of a recession? They know everyone can't afford to get both an iPad and Macbook Pro at the same time, so why would they release them both in the same year? Apple is smart and meticulous about these kinds of things, look back at the launches of its other products. YET AGAIN, IRREFUTABLE!

9. iMacmatician macrumors 601

Are you sure you didn't mean "Sandy Bridge" instead of "Arrandale"?

10. Next Tuesday macrumors 6502a

Next Tuesday

Close this thread please. Arrandale in 2011? lol serouisly? 2011 will bring sandy bridge. Ipad has NOTHING to do with the macbook pros.

11. iMacmatician macrumors 601

The iPad isn't a Mac, or anything close to one.

By that logic Apple shouldn't have updated any Macs after the iPhone release until mid 2008.

The MacBook is closer to the MacBook Pro than the iPad is. So why does Apple have a MacBook? Or why did Apple update the MacBook Pros ~1 month after the MacBook?

[​IMG]
    (V.I.K.I.)

The only reason why I think Apple might not update to Arrandale in 2010 is so they can continue using the 9400M. That doesn't mean no Mac update until 2011 though.

12. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Oh, your are so irresistible.

Everyone should know, that the iPad and the MBP have the same target audience. The MBP is needed and wanted by the same people who need and want an iPad. Those are not two separate consumer groups, no, there are one, and thus the MBP update will not happen before 2011.
    The OP is completely right in his infallible logic. S/He must have a masters degree in business. Believe it. Don't know. Just believe it.

Can some please close this thread?
    The OP is getting burned for no reason and shan't be anyway.

Logic. Business. Irrefutable. Irresistible.

Good Night and bad luck.

13. BluAffiliate thread starter macrumors regular

Interesting how instead of actually having anything to say about my points you guys are essentially covering your ears and shouting "LA LA LA!" Just wanting the new MBP to come out in 2010 isn't going to make it happen, though I find it amusing you (as a community) attack me personally over astute observations.

14. oldgeezers940 macrumors regular

You don't have any points.

With all your so called points we can look at the way Apple has handled a similar situation and see that what you're saying makes no sense....

Apple is all about making money, not promoting a single product.

15. 6-0 Prolene macrumors 6502

Why waste the energy? Your "astute observations" have no basis in reality and are based on completely false assertions. It's only worth debating with someone who's rational, and you're proving otherwise.

Of course it won't be long until at least 2 mac lines are updated and you'll be proven wrong.

16. squawk7600 macrumors member

you do realize that the iPad runs iPhone OS and not Mac OS..so ur argument is irrelevant

17. Mindinversion macrumors 6502

Mindinversion

Computer [generic term]:

I can run whatever programs and software I want. I can even use some of this software to obtain and store audio and video content for free [streaming, etc {and I do mean etc} ] as well as low cost paid media from a number of sources. I can store all this media locally, without having to transfer between any number of devices (though I have the option to do so).

ipad:

I can only run software I obtain from the Apple store. In most cases I have to pay for this software. In addition to this, I can only obtain my media from Apple. Paid only. If Apple decides at any time it does not like any software or media that I happened to have obtained, it can take it away from me at any time without cause or warning.

I can buy a full fledged computer for the base price of an iPad. I can buy a fairly well loaded computer for the price of the top line iPad. If I want 3g service on my iPad I have to pay an additional $30 a month for an internet plan I already own for another device. I cannot use that plan for both pieces of equipment, even though realistically I can only use one device at a time. I can use my other device [if I am clever] to tether to my laptop, saving me $30/month.

I don't see how anyone can call that competition, but I guess I use my computer for more than a glorified browser experience? Honestly, I just can't drink the Kool Aid on this one. . . . the iPad has no functionality above and beyond what I have with my existing technology. It was innovative a few years ago when it was smaller and called "iPhone".

That said, I also realize that hardware manufacturers want to move to "closed systems" like the iPhone and iPad so that they can make millions in micro transactions and further exploit a public that, by and large, does not understand or utilize the technlogy available today. While that is fine for the masses, I prefer keeping my access to knowledge and productivity, as well as continuing to use MY hardware as I see fit, and not dictated by some third entity.

I'd say it's a bit premature to count out the computer [generic] completely, as the tablet movement hasn't swept over the world yet. Maybe after Apr 3 the macbook pro will get some love.

Next year or two tho, watch the computer [generic] fade away, Along with many of the computer and internet freedoms we the computer users now enjoy.

18. BluAffiliate thread starter macrumors regular

All I see is "Close this thread! See no Evil! I love censorship!"

Let me explain to you guys again: Just because YOU think that the iPad isn't a competitor to Macbooks doesn't make you right. The target audience for both products (at least for the initial launch until they gain traction) are Mac users. Shocking, I know!

As much as you'd like to think that this product is designed for the masses, think again. All of Apple's recent initial launches (iPod, iPhone, MacBook Pro) went in waves of hardcore Apple users buying them first, then the general public slowly picking up and buying the product after seeing it in action.

In the race for the Apple consumer, if you give them two new products in a short time frame, you will sell less of them, period.

This is a fact.

And if you're insisting on the fact that "iPad and Macbook" are soooo different ask your mom what an iPad is. You might be enlightened.

19. iMacmatician macrumors 601

"Short" as in less than 9 months?

20. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

You deserve it for "observations" that make non sense at all and are a bad joke at best.

Next time spend some time thinking before...uhm...thinking.

The Macbook pro and the iPad have nothing common other than that they are made by Apple. They are geared towards a different market and some tasks are simply impossible to accomplish on an iPad. It really is not rocket science to figure this stuff out.

21. iMacmatician macrumors 601

Come on man, get real. Don't you know that the iPod and the iMac are targeting the same market, just like how the iPad and the MacBook Pro are? So in 2006, you know, the iPods were updated a week after the iMac was.

22. PAC88 macrumors 6502

I'm sorry OP but your reasoning makes zero sense.. the ipad and macbook pro are two clearly different product lines. What you also fail to understand is how many people buying a new mbp will be able to afford an ipad on top of it (not sure why anyone would want both though).
    And a lot of people buying only an ipad probably have never bought anything by mac before.. it's a good product to introduce people to apple.. then it will get them interested in buying a shiny new macbook pro once they are updated.

23. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Take your own medicine.

Also the target audience are not Mac users per se.

Do you think all those pre-orders (only 120.000 for the first day) are made by Mac users?

Please don't think again, you're not good at it.

And if a person can't see a difference between an iPad and a MacBook Pro, than that person does not belong to the target audience of MBP buyers.

And can you please provide some proof of your so-called statements and not just announce them as fact?

I don't think so, you just ignore every sane answer and avoid an honest and intelligent discussion.

Do you wanna know why?

Because it's a fact.

24. TaylorWiebe macrumors newbie

So you are saying Apple would rather leave the MacBook Pro's update so people pay $499 for the base iPad, instead of $1199+ for a MacBook Pro?

25. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

And I own my own Firefly.

And have several employees that live with me.

What does that prove?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.