Why Bestbuy Sucks V.4459

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacintoshMan, Feb 13, 2012.

1. MacintoshMan macrumors regular

My samsung laptop just kicked the bucket, tech said it had a bad board, I guess I left it out in sun to many times during my poolside podcast playbacks in sunny SoCal. Anyways, since I got blacktie extended warranty, they said I have $750 to spend on a new laptop, in the form of a bestbuy store credit gift card (yellow one).

I want a new 15" MBP w/ hi-res antiglare. 15" is very important to me because of extra screen real estate, and better speakers than 13". 17" would be awesome but it's out of my budget.

The hi-res antiglare is the most important because you can fit more windows in the same space, but most importantly, I love to bring my laptop outside, and play music or check my emails, and with glossy display this is almost impossible.

Now here's the kicker, BB doesn't sell hi res antiglare 15" mbp! what the hell =[. the only solution I can think of is selling my card on ebay, but I don't have an account so there is 0 feedback, and also, I don't want to pay ebay, or take less than what the cards worth. Any suggestions?

2. StuLax18 macrumors 6502

Could sell your card on craigslist. I've noticed it seems to be more popular these days than eBay. And it eliminates any issues with scams since it's usually face to face.

3. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Microcenter is selling a 15" AG 2.3 i7 for $1599.

You can sell the GC on plasticjungle.

4. shanimal macrumors member

craigslist maybe. that really does suck, man. there are screen protectors that make the screen more matte, but they wont be has good as the actual scree though.

5. MacintoshMan thread starter macrumors regular

craigslist is a pain in the arse but it might be my only choice, I also hate meeting people face to face for 750 in cash basically, id also have to sell if for like 700 because everyone would low ball me, and no one would be willing to do even, theres simply no point.

6. Ccrew macrumors 68020

I'm still trying to get why Best Buy sucks. Your old laptop died, they made good on their warranty.

Just because you want something they don't sell and have never sold?

Thread title is misleading. Hardly a Best Buy horror story.

7. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Just because a store doesn't stock something doesn't mean they suck. Now, if they didn't give you a gift card, I would understand the point of this thread. That's like me going to McDonald's right now and asking for a McRib. They don't have it anymore so they suck.

8. MacintoshMan thread starter macrumors regular

Wow, you mean they honored a contractually obligated claim that I made? Would hardly say title is misleading considering it's an opinion.

I'm more depressed that there is Apple Owned space at a bestbuy that doesn't stock a variant of a very popular model. Wondering why it's apple store only.

9. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

It's not Apple store only, MicroCenter, MacMall, PowerMax, and various others carry them. It is just that Best Buy doesn't carry them, which is why I have never considered Best Buy for my Mac purchases.

10. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Because it's not an Apple store within Best Buy nor is it Apple owned (or leased). It's Best Buy owned, they're only a reseller. Same way Target is going to be soon.

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I have to agree with the others… how does Best Buy suck if they don't have the particular model you want? They honored your service contract.

12. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

You'll most likely have to special order the MBP with the antiglare screen. You might be able to do this through Best Buy, but you'll need to check. As to your view that Best Buy sucks, keep in mind that the Apple Stores might carry a couple of configurations with the AG screen, but that's going to be hit and miss. This is usually something that's custom ordered. Check your attitude at the door.

13. irod87 macrumors regular

If amazon sells it you could use the Best Buy gift card to buy amazon gift cards in store or you could buy a few prepaid visa cards that are also carried at Best Buy.

14. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

This is true. Then use the prepaid visas to buy amazon credit?

15. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Sounds like it to me. Read that agreement. I doubt it says they're obligated to give you something they don't sell.

That's precisely why it's misleading.

16. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

Most Apple stores don't sell them either. You will be lucky to find antiglare in any store.

Just buy the Mac and don't look back.lol

17. StuLax18 macrumors 6502

Was at an Apple store just a couple days ago and they had AG in the 15" and 17", which was nice because I could compare the glossy vs. AG side by side. I assume they had them for sale also.

18. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

:rolleyes:

Gift cards can't be used to buy other gift cards. That's been true practically since the invention of gift cards.

jW

19. zerocool5878 macrumors newbie

There are sites that will buy them from you directly sometimes up to 90% of the value. Google it

20. drambuie macrumors 6502a

It seems to me that Bestbuy started a program last year in which customers could order configure to order Macs through their stores. The Mac would be delivered to the store for pickup. I remember reading their policies on how CTO returns, etc., would be handled.

21. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Yes they can.

I have done it many times

22. dittman macrumors member

I bought my new 17" AG in an Apple store. The 15" HR AG was also available.

The AG models have the upgraded CPU and hard drive.

If you want a stock 15" or 17" AG you have to order.

23. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

So have I. In fact, MOST of my Best Buy cards are actually traded for iTunes cards:) Done it dozens o' times!

J

24. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

You can use the BB gift cards to buy whatever they sell in store. You just can't use them to pay off Best Buy credit cards.

25. MacintoshMan thread starter macrumors regular

http://www.microcenter.com/search/s...cehigh&Ntt=macbook+pro&Ntk=all&Ntx=AllPartial

no anti glare bro.

You ever wonder why there are no bestbuy products on that black square? it's because it's apple leased space. no longer bestbuys, it's a weird agreement.

Because there is no way to contact apple and get what I want.

;) every applestore that i've been in has had more than 2 iterations of AG

brilliant! I just hope store credit gift card works for such things. it'd be a real bestbuy move to not let you.

Never said the agreement talked about selling me something that wasn't offered, just stated that they were obligated to fix, or compensate me for my laptop.

Still don't understand how it's misleading, how could a corp literally suck? I'd advise picking up a few books to catch up on your reading comprehension.
    I don't know about that...

I'd rather not lose 10%. but ill look.

Best news yet.

bologna.

:)