Why bumpers?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BBQ BOY, Jun 12, 2010.

1. BBQ BOY macrumors regular

Just curious but what protection does a bumper offer? My wife just dropped her iPhone breaking it. This is forcing me to buy her the new iPhone4. She did not have her phone in her case for some reason shattering the glass and breaking the phone.
    So I am on a search for a case of some sort for her new phone. Both she and I are minimalist and the bumper is appealing but am having a hard time seeing the value of protection with it.
    Thought?

2. cloroxbleach4 macrumors 6502a

cloroxbleach4

Just protects the corners. Probably almost the same protection as a regular case in my opinion. Plus it looks cool.

3. GadgetGeek71 macrumors 6502

Added protection. A iPhone should be able to handle a single 3.5' drop without shattering the glass.

4. SuperDuper-C macrumors member

Plus, it raises the screen and back of the phone just a little, so neither would make contact with a surface (provided that it's flat).

5. mbsaeger macrumors 6502

mbsaeger

Which it will be the only case I will ever use on my iPhone 4 :)

6. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

First of all, I saw a video on youtube of a case that protected only the corners of an iPod touch. They dropped it from at least 12 feet onto concrete/rock and it was still playing the video and there was no damage. Cases that go around the edges provide more protection from falls like this than anything else.

Why? Because normal cases send the shock to the Phone. Bumpers around the edge do not, they absorb damage better than normal cases. It's physics.

I'm a minimalist also.

Secondly, there will be many other cases available for the iPhone 4 than the bumper. I highly suggest www.wrapsol.com or www.zagg.com film protection (which you can preorder now). These kind of film protection provide significant help in repelling damage. Of the two, Wrapsol is thicker and provides more protection (based on hundreds of reviews I have read). They both have lifetime warranties. Belkin, Case-Mate, and others have already announced cases also.

Wrapsol for scratch protection and a Bumper for shock protection, in my humble opinion, provides the best protection.

Thirdly, if you have an iPhone, you can give her yours and you can upgrade to the iPhone 4. Also a viable option, depending on how bad either of you want the new iPhone.

7. Resist macrumors 68030

Nothing can protect from serious drops, but any case is better than no case. Most cases are really only designed to protect your iPhone from scratches anyway.

8. direktkaoz macrumors newbie

My guess is that the bumpers would prevent the glass of the iphone from cracking since the bumpers are raised a little bit. At least in the case of dropping it face flat, on a flat surface, the raised edges of the bumper should absorb all the shock, or at least enough to prevent the iphone glass from shattering..

But if u drop it in a manner where the screen or the back impacts first, for example if u drop it on a rocky surface or any other raised surface, then you may be out of luck.

Personally, I'm thinking the best option is to get the bumper with a set of invisible screen and body protector film.

9. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

Absolutely untrue. There are many cases that can protect from serious drops. I believe the bumper will provide significant protection for a drop.

Agreed. Much like what I said above.

10. cloroxbleach4 macrumors 6502a

cloroxbleach4

I'm sure the designers were obsessed with bumper cars as a kid, like I was.

11. Daddy Mac macrumors member

I'm just gonna get the $100 squaretrade warranty.

12. GadgetGeek71 macrumors 6502

I LOVE my Otter Box!

13. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

Square Trade is great! Keep in mind that with the iPhone 4 SquareTrade Warranty, they do not reimburse you completely for a new iPhone. They only reimburse $600 for the 32gb. They are assuming you will sign another 2 year contract for the $600 price.

What I have been suggesting to people is to set up a contract with their insurance company instead. For a $700 phone (the unsubsidized no contract price), they charge me $25 a year (just over $2 a month) with the same $50 deductible as SquareTrade. Assuming I buy a new phone 2 years from now, that's only $50 for that particular phone to be covered and I get the same deal except I can replace the phone completely.

14. eldervovichka macrumors regular

Has any one seen any sleeves for the iPhone 4? I think having a bumper for my desk at work and at home, but then I was thinking of putting the the iPhone and bumper in sleeve for transportation. What do you all think?
    Jeff

15. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

What kind of sleeve?

16. JohnnyQuest macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

I don't really think that's necessary. The glass is virtually scratch-proof, and the bumper will protect the phone from falls. A sleeve seems like overkill IMO.

17. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

Not only that, but one can buy a screen protector for virtually nothing to protect the face (and back, in the iPhone 4's case).

18. apple.pseudofan macrumors regular

State Farm Insured iPhones

Ever since I had a traumatic loss of the original iPhone from a roller-coaster, I have had my phones protected for full replacement value through my car and homeowner's insurance company on a personal article policy. 2 phones, (was $45) now $30/year. Zero deductible, full replacement. They actually no longer write the policies because of people abusing them, but they will not cancel mine as long as I pay it every year. They let me change the phone covered and the covered amount when I upgrade.

Now to the question:
    Am I being too cautious in wanting to protect my phone with a bumper case (and potentially one of these Wrapsol's)? My phone will be replaced if I kill it, but it is the minor damage I want to prevent. I want my phone in as good condition as possible when I am using it, and I want it in excellent condition when it is time to upgrade and sell on Ebay.

I have used a screen protector on my 3G, along with switching between a Beyza leather pouch (for when I wanna use it nekked) and a SwitchEasy Capsule Rebel (for when I want convenient, quick access).

I guess it is double protection, and I cannot decide if it is worth it. I'm pretty sure I'll get a protector for screen scratches regardless, but I don't know about the bumper. I think it'll come close to fitting my current Beyza case and may use that.

I'd like to enjoy a few things about the phone that can only be done when it is naked: oleophobic screen coating, optical clarity, minimalist design for pocket/use, and easy access from pocket (no leather pouch).

Bye the way, I also cannot decide white or black. Black is the safe choice, but the white looks pretty dang sharp.

19. zizo79 macrumors 6502a

zizo79

At first, I did not think that the bumper case was great but once I saw more pictures of it, I started to think that the idea behind it is pretty cool. My only worry is if the iPhone falls face down will it prevent any breakage ?
    The bumper case looks exactly like a Speck Candyshell without the back which I am using on my 3GS and believe me when I say I dropped my phone at least 20 times and nothing happened it.

20. na1577 macrumors 6502a

The front and back surfaces will never touch the floor because of the way the bumper is designed. Besides, contact with the corners are more likely to result in cracking than falling face down.

21. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

Hey man! Good info, thanks for sharing. I didn't know that about then no longer allowing plans like that. :)

Wrapsol is an all around great company. I suggest it over any other case. It covers the sides, the front, and the back. You get complete (as complete as money can buy) from scratch protection. This, along with almost any other case (bumper or not) is, in my opinion, the best protection you can get! You should watch some videos of people trying to tear up phones with wrapsol on it. Incredible. Use the code CHATTER for an additional discount. They ship on the 24th. ;)

Let me know if you have any more thoughts or questions. :)

BTW, I am going with white.

22. quid squid macrumors regular

possibly a stupid question, but I have not seen it brought up yet...

there were rumors that the new phone would have the same sort of touch technology as the Magic Mouse. Could the reasoning for the open back be that this rumor will be true, they haven't revealed all the new features of the phone. I would have assumed this would have been a top feature for the reveal, but maybe they had their reasons for holding it back if true.

I haven't seen any 3rd party cases yet, so maybe this has been 100% debunked already, but it was something that came to mind when seeing the bumpers.

I have one of the harder rubber incase cases on my 3G and it works great. Doesn't leave scratches from stuff caught under the phone, have had my phone fall out of a jacket pocket and the phone was fine...great cases, I hope they continue to make one for the iPhone 4.

23. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

If it had that feature, it would no doubt have been announced at the Keynote or have been on their website. It wasn't/isn't though. Yes, it was a rumor, but is not a feature of the iPhone 4.

24. BBQ BOY thread starter macrumors regular

Well this is great news. I hate cases on my phone.
    Are the bumpers silicon making it kind of difficult sliding the phone in and out of the pocket?
    I want the iPhone the most and was going to give my wifely phone and get the new one for myself. After some thinking about it I'm going to get her the new iPhone since we have 2 small children and a 3rd on the way. A video camera is invaluable right now.
    Oh and the screen is easy to scratch. The 2nd day I had mine in my pocket I put two large scrathes on it while in my pocket from one key.

25. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

How dare you question Apple's holy case value and reliability?! :mad:

;)