Why buy a top end MacBook Pro and play games with it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kirk.davis, Feb 25, 2011.

1. kirk.davis macrumors newbie

Mar 25, 2006
    Serious question, I see so many posts here related to games. I can't believe people are spending 2k+ on machines to play games on. Isn't that what the PS3\XBOX is for, connected to a nice big 40" screen? :confused:
  2. miles01110 macrumors Core

Jul 24, 2006
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
    Some people do more than play games on their computers.
  3. lesyork macrumors member

Jan 31, 2011
    Some of us just prefer PC/Mac gaming, myself included. Never did get controllers :D
  4. TRUCRACKER macrumors 6502

May 31, 2010
    Serious gamers will still buy a PC. Not too many things are Mac compatible. A lot more than before with the addition of Steam and the App Store, but still not much compared to PC's.
  5. ChronoIMG macrumors regular

Sep 11, 2003
    San Francisco, CA
    How do you think those games are made for the PS3/Xbox? Here's a hint: not with a controller and a 40" screen...
  6. tdream macrumors 65816

Jan 15, 2009
    Those games are made on pc.
  7. devilstrider macrumors 6502a

May 12, 2010
    I play my PC games on a 40' screen.
  8. boonlar macrumors 6502

Dec 30, 2008
    at least its better than the other 97% of macbook users who use them to go on facebook and type a report

these machines are overkill for nearly all users
  9. ChronoIMG macrumors regular

Sep 11, 2003
    San Francisco, CA
    Really? So end to end the whole game is "made" on a PC? /sadpanda
  10. highscheme macrumors regular

Jun 10, 2009
    must be nice to own a movie theater
  11. toondw macrumors 6502

Jun 28, 2009
    Northumberland, UK
    I'm a pc...................and now im a mac!

I used to be a pc but got tired of the updates every 2-3 weeks almost, well it felt like it.

I have a ipad and a iphone 4, or and a new style apple tv so it is enevitable i am being drawn to a mac.

Yes, i will play games, no i wont do fancy video/photo editing ( i get the impression thats all some people think you use a mac for?)

I have just ordered a high end macbook 15", because i love the style, the operating system looks great and it's going ios by the looks of the future (i can hear all you pureists tutting!). i intend on keeping it for 2-3 years and no doubt it wont play all the fancy games a pc will it should be good enough for what i want out of it and steam will get better for the mac, oh and the 1gb grapics card is not a option in the cheaper version........:):apple:
  12. Beige Panda macrumors newbie

Feb 15, 2011
    I'll be using it for video editing/effects and the occasional game. It will actually run them better than my current PC...

And I prefer PCs for lots of games, it's typically less dumbed-down and you have alot more options. For instance, dragon age on PC is 100x better than on a console. Mass Effect was the same way, and console shooters just suck because of the control scheme. Strategy games don't really work on consoles, either.

However, I couldn't imagine playing things like Infamous, grand theft auto, god of war, prince of persia, mario, zelda, etc. on a computer.
  13. Koning macrumors member

Feb 21, 2011
    Because it's cool to spend a lot of money :p
  14. devilstrider macrumors 6502a

May 12, 2010
    This is in the main room. But I'm about to ship out to basic so it's all going in storage.

15. ChronoIMG macrumors regular

Sep 11, 2003
    San Francisco, CA
    And as a point of reference; that PS3 or Xbox or both in some cases with a nice 40" or larger screen will cost more than a high end MacBook Pro. Why spend so much to play 1 console game?

Just saying.
  16. devilstrider macrumors 6502a

May 12, 2010
    You can get a nice 40in TV and a 360 or PS3 for less than a high end MBP.
  17. Nein01 macrumors 6502

Dec 1, 2009
  18. ChronoIMG macrumors regular

Sep 11, 2003
    San Francisco, CA
    Nah dude. If you want to match the awesomeness of a fresh MBP, you need a NEW 40". Not something that's been in BestBuy for two years. A high end TV is about 2 grand. This ain't no Vizio from Wally World.
  19. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

Aug 30, 2010
    i agree 100%

but, people are aloud to buy whatever they want, if someone buys a million dollar comp. just to view facebook, then good for them.

i personally leave gaming for my xboxs and ps3.
  20. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Jun 22, 2006
    Hiding from Omnius in Australia
    A new MBP (6750M) is much more powerful than a PS3 (Let alone XB360), comes with a keyboard and trackpad (which I think is about as good as a gamepad) and can be used with a mouse (which is far better than a gamepad).

Furthermore, it can be used for so much more than just gaming, does not require any extra facilities to be able to game (ie no TV & HDMI dongle) and is portable, if you want to throw a LAN party.

Also, PC games are generally cheaper (sometimes much cheaper, ie. Steam) than console games, and there is a much wider range.
  21. Winnychan213 macrumors member

Jan 16, 2011
    I cannot stand using controllers to play games, therefore console is out of the
    question for me.
  22. mark28 macrumors 68000

Jan 29, 2010
    XBOX / PS3 = 1280×720 resolution + expensive games + bad graphics + no mod community.

PC > XBOX / PS3 for gaming.
  23. vipergts2207 macrumors 68000

Apr 7, 2009
    Columbus, OH
    Not every game is made for console, i.e. WoW and SC2. I'd also rather play some games on my computer because of extra features, like ES V when it comes out.
  24. sigma8 macrumors regular

Feb 2, 2005
    Maybe because it's a more exciting day-one activity than breaking out the final cut render projects...