Why cannot an Authorized Mac Dealer install IE on OS 10.4.11 properly?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MacUser1995, Sep 24, 2009.

1. MacUser1995 macrumors newbie

My computer crashed and I took it into an authorized Apple dealer on Smokey Park highway in Asheville, NC.

I was told after the tech guy did a test right in front of me that the hard drive was going to be okay and they were just going to update the OS system.

Turns out the hard drive crashed and they were totally unable to retrieve ANYTHING from it. I needed a new hard drive, but the guy talked me into getting a "test" one from the shop, instead of buying a new one, which saved me $50.
    However.. it only has a 12 month warranty and after today, the new ones have a 3 year warranty on them, and i'm not sure I even want to set FOOT into their shop again.
    I told the tech guy after I brought my computer home after they installed the new hard drive, that the Internet Explorer was not working properly. I kept getting a message that said to Install Shockwave-Flash page and he claimed he had done so.
    However, the place I work for always uses IE as a browser and they insist that we do too when we enter any data to them. If we do not, we risk not getting paid at all! So it is imperative that my IE-Internet Explorer work properly on my computer or else I cannot do my job.

Before the computer hard drive acted up, i was on OS X 10.2.8 and had NO problem getting the IE to work.

Also Safari keeps acting up.. I will be typing and suddenly my whole screen disappears and I have to hunt to find the tab that will return me to my work. Pretty scary as sometimes it takes over an hour to input data to my employer online.

Also.. when I have unplugged the computer from a electric socket, when it is turned back on, the date reads 1969! And then I always have to reset the date and time.

Another thing I did NOT have problems with before I took my computer to them.. my computer screen just turned off and I was looking at another black screen just now, and then had to seek out the tab I was on to get back to my page.

I brought it in to them to get my hard drive back, hopefully, they had retrieved the data, and told them I'd be there around mid-to late afternoon.
    They never gave me a set time and often when the tech said he'd call me back that next day he never did.

I got there about an hour before they close, but honestly, how long does it take to download a plug page for Internet Explorer? A minute or two?

The tech claimed he was too busy to help me.. yet, if he wanted me to get to his shop earlier, he certainly had my number and could of called me.

I did try to get there about an hour earlier, but had to go into a business, and their clerks were held up by some computer problems, so I had to wait. None of this was within my control, mind you.

They had some guy who always answers the phone, and honestly, after I dropped off my computer to them, the first time, I was seriously thinking of going to pick it up & going somewhere else to get my computer repair...:mad:. The guy was just rude and arrogant to me! I hate rude business people.
    I had to wait over a week to get it back and yet, the tech guy claimed there was only going to be a 1 day turn around. I missed alot of work over the Labor Day weekend cuz they were not open even on the Friday before Labor Day! And not the entire weekend either!

well, this guy who was so annoying to me on the phone to start with, and rather rude, started to work on my computer today, and I thought, okay, if he can fix it, so be it. I didn't care who fixed the computer and got Internet Explorer to work again, as long as it was working. Suddenly he claims he must go NOW, cuz it's raining (it was NOT, only cloudy!) and must get on the road as he was on a motorcycle.

okay.. whatever, you have to leave, then go ahead, but I still needed the tech guy who said he was going to install the plug-in pages for Internet Explorer to fix my computer. He said he would get to it, but I would need to wait there for a few minutes.
    Fine, I said. Then the annoying guy who claimed he HAD to get on the road and leave the shop, starts being really dismissive and rude & sarcastic to me, claiming that Internet Explorer is a defunct browser and has not been in use for years now! I told him that I desperately needed it for work and it was working FINE on my other Operating System, so what was the deal with it NOT working with this newer one?

That's such garbage. We have Internet Explorer at our public libraries and their computers are really new & up to date.

Also, like I said...I had JUST used Internet Explorer on my old operating system 10.2.8 and it worked FINE!

What this guy did to my computer and what "grade" of IE he had installed I just don't know.

I find it pathetic though, that a store that specializes in Apples and is touted to be an "authorized" apple dealer, cannot even properly install Internet Explorer on a Tiger, 10.4.11 with a new 120 GB hard drive, and new memory!

This was so unpleasant and weird.. it was like, if he kept insulting me, I'd give in and just give up on trying to get them to install the Internet Explorer, which worked FINE before they got their hands on my computer!
    Now.. I have spent almost $200 repairing my computer and it's acting weirdly already!
    The guy kept harassing me and bothering me and wouldn't even let me ask the tech One simple question.. while I was waiting.

If he had to get on the road THAT badly, then why didn't he just LEAVE? Instead of spending time to try install IE properly so I could get to my company's website, he spends all that time, instead to belittle me and start running his mouth off at me.

The tech guy claims this is his BOSS! But I have reason to think that that is NOT so!
    I think I'll give Apple a call in the morning. If your computer is fixed by an authorized Apple dealer and they are doing a poor job of it, can you not take it to another Authorized Apple dealer. I have the receipt from the repair and everything!
    Wow.. and to think I was goin to tell my friends to use this shop for their Apple repairs! No way.. Now I think I know why the very reputable former Apple repair center did NOT refer me to this shop when I called them asking who to take my Imac to!:eek:

2. Kate. macrumors regular

You're surprised that a browser that has been defunct since 2005 doesn't work on a new OS? Software needs to be updated to deal with compatibility issues. This isn't the Authorized Mac Dealer's fault nor is it Apple's. Microsoft dropped Mac support for IE in 2005.

3. MacUser1995 thread starter macrumors newbie

IF IE is so defunct then why are the public libraries with their new computers still

using it?

See, not everyone loves Safari or Firefox.. I've had ALOT of problems with Firefox also since he installed it.

And just WHY is my date & time no longer working. He claimed it was the battery but if he had opened up my computer and had it for well over a week, then why didn't he make sure EVERYTHING worked fine?

Does he think I want to keep hauling this computer, which is a desktop and pretty HEAVY into his shop over & over?
    Anyone, my basic question was not answered.

If the tech guy and his BOSS are going to be rude and beligerent to me, not to mention deceptive (remember he had done a test right in FRONT of me, when I first came to this shop, and he claimed, the hard drive was FINE, when in fact.. I've lost ALL my data from it... then I'm an not really wanting to go back there and take more of their verbal abuse and scare tactics.

4. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

Why? If you absolutely insist.
    http://mac.softpedia.com/get/Internet-Utilities/Internet-Explorer.shtml

Furthermore, I don't know why you would bother, as the browsers in 10.4.11 and on are much more advanced than IE for Mac. In fact, IE would have problems with most sites because its lack of support for what most sites are using nowadays. Also, assuming you're using an intel processor, IE for Mac will run in Rosetta, so performance will suffer.

EDIT: You seem to not realize that IE for Mac and the IE that is currently on Windows are not the same application. They aren't. Development for IE for Mac was discontinued when Apple released Safari years ago. The current ones on library computers, which are almost certainly to be Windows computers, are currently at IE7 or IE8. Which is about three/four releases of upgrades after the last IE for Mac.

5. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Internet Explorer for Mac was discontinued by Microsoft more than 6 years ago (June 13, 2003), hence it's no longer supported and updated. As far as the Mac's system date reverting to 1969, this is happening because the PRAM battery is either missing or dead. Since you just had the Mac worked on I'm guessing it's missing.

6. MacUser1995 thread starter macrumors newbie

The PRAM battery is missing?

Oh, my god. these guys are idiots! I'm going to contact Apple about them!

How hard is it to replace a PRAM battery?? Geez.. I shouldn't have to be doing this myself after I just spent almost $200 with them!

Yeah, the tech guy claimed it was DEAD, but honestly, it was working jsut fine before they touched my computer! Strange coincidence huh?

Back to my original question, since it seems they have installed the older version of IE and now forgot to put back the PRAM battery into the computer, since it was an authorized Apple dealer, am I allowed to take it into another Apple shop, a different one and get them to fix these issues at their expense?

I'm about ready to contact the better business bureau.. Wow.. what happens to my computer if the PRAM battery is not replaced? I have problems lifting this thing... it's quite heavy...and we have lots of steps to go down to get it out of our apt.

7. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

You do realize you're comparing Windows PCs to Macs right?

8. NSK123 macrumors regular

NSK123

Sadly I don't think he/she does...

I mean it can't be true that your employer only supports IE, and what kinda site are they running that they require you to access that only works in IE? It just seems kinda dumb and unprofessional. And I don't believe that it's even legal for them not to pay you because you didn't use IE... I mean your company has got to have other mac-only users employed.
    If you really need IE that bad then install WinXP on your machine, either with a virtualmachine or as a separate partition... Simple as that.

I just think that you're being a big whiner here and I can imagine the tech guy at the mac dealer is feeling the same way, you're making a big deal out of something simple. I think you should stop throwing money at a machine that keeps having problems, you already spend 200 on repairs for an ancient desktop machine... i mean seriously? Why not just buy a brand new Mac Mini for 599?

9. sdsvtdriver macrumors 65816

holy cow!

You should have just put the $200 toward a cheap pc to run IE.

10. California macrumors 68040

California

I don't know if it is because this guy is in Asheville or not but I tried to help a very dumbonMac friend of mine get an iMac going for her to use, after calling some Apple Certified Tech in Asheville to help her.

That person ripped my friend off big time, charging her nearly FIVE HUNDRED dollars to put a new hard drive in, and upgrade the ram on a 1999 iMac G3! You read that right... FIVE HUNDRED dollars to install a hard drive that she already bought and some ram!!!! Running OS9!!!

Asheville is in some weird planet of their own. As a matter of fact, a kind of famous Mac company in Georgia is also under some delusion of charging way too much for mac services.

Thanks for the update, OP, it's easier to have my friend ship me a computer and let me upgrade her macs than to trust her with the weirdos in NC.

I think in cities where Macs are more used , like LA or NY, you don't get this blatant ripping off of people.

But back to the main topic:

Dear OP:

You are also deluded to try to run IE. It is a dead browser. Microsoft no longer supports it for the Mac.

Why you are on Jaguar 10.2 is also a mystery.

I'd return that USED hard drive and start googling around for the answers to your questions before you drop a dime in Asheville.

11. MacUser1995 thread starter macrumors newbie

Could you just get off my thread???

All this was working fine before they touched my computer. My time & date worked perfectly, the IE worked perfectly.

and FYI, Yes, my work does insist on us using IE. I don't make up their policies, but it is their company. Maybe their servers are older too. I know my computer is about 5-6 years old, hence the 10.2.

My other question is this? Why do you sign up for a forum that insist you not belittle people asking questions, only to post something like you just did, poster?

You ought to be banned from this forum. I hate how some people get on the web, only to bash others on a forum, where you can ask question and that OP can never get his/her question answered, only further insulted!

My question is this.. has he downloaded an obsolute program for IE or is there a Internet Explorer program out there somewhere that will accept the OS X 4.11?

And if there is NOT, then why did not the tech guy TELL me that when I told him that Internet Explorer was NOT working properly on my computer. I mean, he told me himself, after he put in the new hard drive, that he installed IE and it was working okay!!
    :X so obviously either the guy lied and never checked out IF IE was working ok, or something very weird is happening to my compuber.

I know that Firefox, another browser he installed is not working ok, either! I keep getting these messages and it will often quit on me, without warning....

or... since he never gave me a back up system for my new Tiger application.. something I find odd, since I paid good money to get it installed... can I download the original 10.2.8 onto my computer in addition to the Tiger?

I know with the 10.2.8 it also had Classic 9. And I also have alot of computer programs I'd like to install that are for OS 9....

I do not have the money for all the up-to-date computers, programs etc. This is appalachia here, people, and jobs are NOT very good in this area.

People need to know this before they move to Asheville, which they have billed as some type of utopia...It's NOT... You're going to be poor unless you bring lots of cash with you, or have your own business.

Geez. I wish a decent Mac repair/store would open up in our area. Since CompUSA went out of business, there is really NO good place to take your macs to be fixed.
    We had a good store here before, Electronic Office, which specialized in Macs, but they now don't even work on Macs! And they are not open to the general public, only to private business.

Supposedly this tech guy worked at Electronic Office before they switched over to PCs, that is why I choose this shop, but honestly, I think Apple would be horrified to see how they are treated their customers.

If the guy had to leave the office THAT bad, so he wouldn't be caught in the rain, riding his bike, then why didn't he just LEAVE? It is like they KNEW they were not going to install IE properly on my computer, but claimed they could and WOULD!
    He also KNEW that my hard drive was not able to recover any data, but he did not let that be known to me...otherwise I wouldn't even have brought my computer in.

I mean, really, the guy acted like he wanted to start a fight with me.. After 10 minutes of his harangue, I unplugged my computer from their counter and just left!
    I have heard from them, themselves, too, that another customer was extremely disappointed with their service! Their secretary told me this!

I think I need to write Apple a letter about this.....

And so WHAT I have 10.2.. it is an older computer.. an Imac.. and not EVERYONE can afford to spend $500 on a new computer..

Times are hard, have you not heard and trying to find decent work in Asheville, NC is next to impossible.. or ANY WORK for that matter!

This is a job I've had for some time now and they are reliable and pay decent wages. I cannot afford to NOT be able to access their website

12. MacUser1995 thread starter macrumors newbie

In answer to your question California.

Oh, yeah, there are alot of lame, not well qualified businesses in Asheville. Though they tout themselves and advertise heavily as being a great place to bring your computer/car, whatever..

Instead they are incompetent and unscrupulous. The weird thing is that before I agreed to let them work on my computer, the tech guy did a test RIGHT in front of me, and it stated that the hard drive was OK!

So I feel like I've been misled totally by this shop! I just the damn hard drive they installed does not die on me! I paid by check... wonder if they cashed the check yet, I'm feeling like I wished I paid with credit card..

You could at least questions the charges on a business if you charged it.

I had to laugh at your statement here.. Yes, Asheville is a WEIRD planet of its own.. At least it is NOW!! It used to NOT be that way.. no more.. lots of ripoff artists in this town now... all claiming to be "the best"!

I see why Electronic Office did NOT recommend these people.. I also see why I never see them advertised anywhere.. Some other shop that supposedly fixes Macs recommended them...

We have this huge influx of people into Asheville and yet, you would THINK they would have a good MAC shop.. one that specialized in ONLY Macs in a town that was touted as so "progressive" as Asheville.

I'm on a Imac, a G4, it's 5-6 years old. so hence the Jaguar... I was waanting to upgrade, but there is NO good place to take your Macs to in this town.. Like I said before CompUSA, who does Mac repair and where I got my computer, went out of business not that long ago... There is nothing else around, and they were going to charge me like $200 just to install a new OS.. so I waited.. Now I wish I did not!!

I have lost all my data.. I bought a portable Hard drive from Office Depot this summer, but they ALSO told me it would work on my Mac. It CLAIMED to.. it was a Verbatim, but i could never get it to appear on the desktop..

I'm not a computer tech, otherwise, I would NOT be bringing my computer to a repair shop....
    There are alot of people who own computer who don't know EVERYTHING single little thing about their computer! Wow.. I'm amazed at all the derogatory comments I've received on this thread in only 12 hours! Is this REALLY a Mac forum????:confused:

Cuz most Mac forum, people are over-the top helpful & friendly to other Mac owners.

I'm outta here...This place reminds more of a PC forum.. where people are taking potshots that the Mac owners than a Mac forum.

If IE was a "dead browser" then why did it work perfectly on my Jaguar system??

13. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

It sounds like it's an old PPC iMac not an Intel one as it had OS 10.2 running on it.
    OS 10.4 could well be the most up-to-date OS that it will run, so Leopard and definitely Snow Leopard will not run. Also as it's a PPC machine you cannot just install Windows on it, though you could run it very slowly in an emulator (not virtualisation).

I think the best bet would be to revert back to 10.2 which you know works and can run the software (IE) that you need, even though it's old and unsupported.

14. MacUser1995 thread starter macrumors newbie

I was thinking of posting the name of the shop I used lately, but was not sure I was allowed, but they have a weird name and cannot quite remember it at present.. I bet if you google, Mac store on Smokey Park Highway, in Asheville, you can find it though.

I was looking for.

So, that wouldn't screw up the computer? To have TWO totally different OS on it, Jaguar and Tiger?

The cats wouldn't fight each other? :rolleyes: hehe

I also have that Program, Virtual PC, though it's old and was intended for my OS 10.2.8/Classic 9.

Could I put that onto my computer also. I have a Flight simulator program I would like to run.. I'm pretty sure it's a PC program.. though it's old too.

I had the money when I bought the computer for a couple of programs, but was not sure I had the memory to install them all.. Flash/photoshop/dreamweaver.. etc..
    Now he's put more memory I wud think I cud install them..

Of course, they probably won't work with that newer 10.4.11 OS, will they?

Do many people have a few Operating Systems on their computer and does it slow down the computer, or will it run alright?

15. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

The battery lasts 5 years give or take, if you mess with the computer wrong, the battery will drain overnight even if it is new. Yours was due to die anyhow.

You DO NOT need an Apple dealer for this battery, just go to the local Radio Shack for the battery.

If you can take the cover off the RAM install area and install a battery in a flashlight -- you'll be able to handle it.

Simple and slightly expensive battery to replace.

The 3.6V 1/2 AA battery Tadiran Lithium battery -- the pink one inside right next to the memory.

Just picked one up, likely about $20 and since a lot of Mac users still buy them there it'll likely only be a couple months old.

---

There are some other 1/2 AA lithium batteries, but they are 3V batteries, and the Macs consider any battery under 3V as dead -- they are much cheaper though, but the 3.6V battery should last another 5 years.

Just remember which direction the battery goes, since it isn't marked...

Edit: if they just picked up a used drive with an OS on it and stuck it in the machine, that could also cause issues -- though to solve them your machine needs a DVD reader, which it may or may not have. If they have already updated the RAM a Leopard DVD and an external DVD drive from Best Buy or around the office may be in order if it is the old CD only model.

Sort of silly, if this is an office/business computer a cheap refurb iMac or iBook may have been the better solution that the initial repair -- most companies don't even bother fixing PCs from 1999...

16. goldstarqc macrumors member

To OP. If your computer is 5-6 years old, maybe you don't have a Intel Mac. So you can't really install any new software. Computer shop doesnt keep old software (I mean that Old). If you still have a 10.2 CD/DVD, why don't you just install it instead of trying to make IE work on 10.4.x ? For the suggestion about running a Virtual Windows XP, I don't think you can if you don't have a intel Mac, so your kind of screwed except if you still have your original 10.2 Install Disk. Also, it would have been wise to just buy a new Mac Mini (basic one would have been ok) and you would have the latest Snow Leopard and you would have the ability to Dual Boot with Windows XP/Vista even Windows 7 and use the latest IE 8. For all the other Softwares you have for OS9, come on ! If it's a Office Suite, you can run the free OpenOffice. You can probably find any equivalent software for free.

Finally, for the shop, you can't really do anything about it because Techs learn the new stuff and old stuff get rid of their mind pretty quickly, even more when it was about buggy stuff. Newer is better (less bugs, easier to work with, etc).

17. kasakka macrumors 68000

The problem is most likely that the newest Flash Player just doesn't support the old IE browser anymore. IE for Mac is a defunct browser that won't have any support whatsoever.

Try it with Firefox and Safari. Although there are still tons of intranet sites that were made for old versions of IE (the only reason we web devs still have to deal with 'em), many of them might work with better browsers even though there may be some problems with the visuals. I really doubt the IT guys at your work will really care what browser you use, they just decided to use scare tactics to keep people using whatever is known to work with the POS web app you have there.

Since IE for Mac is way old it's no wonder it may have problems in newer OSX versions. The date problem sounds more serious and probably means something in the logic board is most likely dieing.

18. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

IE for the Mac is a dead browser. You should probably not update your OS X software if you rely on IE running on your Mac as it will most likely break.

IE for Windows is still current software.

I would say if you can, replace your Mac with a cheap PC and a copy of XP and you will be in a *much* better position for the future if running IE is that important to you. But I can understand that not being an option right now.

19. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Wow what a long rant, not sure what to say. The OP seems a little unrealistic to expect a browser that MS has long dropped support to work on the current OS. Yes, people may get it work, but the odds are high that it won't work too well.

My advice echos what others have stated.
    There are plenty of other web browsers available on the Mac, safari, firefox, opera camino, omniweb just to name a few. The other choice it so buy a pc and use IE in that or use vmware/boot camp to boot into windows.

20. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

You keep saying IE, your comp were both working fine before giving it to tech support. Then why did you give to them in the first place...?

If your computer crashed once wouldn't you just restart and boot it up again? I didn't even think IE would work on 10.4.11..

21. MacUser1995 thread starter macrumors newbie

iT IS A POWERPC G4, Desktop mac

the hard drive did not just crash.. the puter started but all I could see was a grey screen w/apple on it.. it never brought up the hard drive after a time or two.

And if this guy is "authorized", then wouldn't he KNOW that IE wouldn't run on OS X10.4?

I mean, talk about deceptive business practices....I'm ranting b/c I want other ppl to know in the area to stay AWAY from this business.

Now.. my original question, yes, my co's website did bring up a DEVL page, but they are greek to me.. how do you read them.. I'll try find its url later.

And yes, I probably DO have the original OS 10.2.8 I do need the later 10.4 though for my other job.. which needs Java to run...

So.. is there going to be a problem if I install BOTH Jaguar and Tiger on my computer..

I dont' see why people cannot read the posts and keep discrediting what I'm saying..

This is just like dealing with the rude Mac shop guy at the shop on Smokey Park Hwy in Asheville.

Anyway.. the guy was yelling at me repeatedly.. it started to get so intense. I asked him to leave me alone, cuz basically I was just going to ask the tech guy what I had asked here.

Can I run both Jaguar and Tiger on my computer, and he wudn't even let me ASK him that! Even though they had my computer for over a week, never recovered what was off my old hard-drive, though said my original hard drive cud be fixed, probably DID leave out the PRAM battery...

I mean, why SUDDENLY wud that quit? I don't really leave the computer on, for simple reason we had electrical storms and lost my last modem on computer that way. I will always unplug my computer when I leave, unless the weather is perfect and I'm only gone for a short time.

I'm also noticing on Safari that some pages are taking FOREVER to load.. I have high speed connection..
    Wud that be also caused by the older hard drive he installed in my computer?
    I need to call Apple....

22. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

I don't suppose you made a backup of your system before you brought it in for service (always recommended, by the way), did you? If you did, just restore from your backup.

23. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

The only version of Internet Explorer that will run on an Apple Macintosh Computer (PowerPC or Intel) under any version of OS X is obsolete. This is because the last version of Internet Explorer that will run on an Apple Macintosh Computer (PowerPC or Intel) under any version of OS X that Microsoft produced and made available to the public was some six years ago.

I do not know if you can install two versions of OS X on the same hard drive in different partitions. You may have to use a second hard drive (external or internal) and install Jaguar on one and Tiger on the other and then hold down the Option key when booting to select which hard drive (and OS X version) to boot.

If the pages have a great deal of FLASH content on them, that can slow down the performance in terms of loading and rendering the page.

24. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

You can have both Jaguar and Tiger. You need to partition your hard drive, which Disk Utility can do. Then you install each OS onto different partitions, which requires you to restart each time you want to run a different OS.

As far as I know, Apple won't help unless you pay for phone support since your warranty most likely expired years ago.

25. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

You should be able to instal both OS's on the same drive, however you will need to repartition the hard drive so that it has two partitions, one for each OS. Having a second OS installed on your computer will not slow it down, many people do have several OS's installed particularly people with newer Mac's who want to run Windows, or people with PC's who use Linux and other OS's.

VirtualPC could be one way of running IE, however it would be slow and you would need to buy a copy of Windows, unless you already have a spare copy.

As for the hard drive suddenly failing, I've had a few hard drives work one minute then the next minute they just break. They can just wear out, where the bearings or motor fails or some contaminants get in and cause the heads to crash into the platters.