Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

filbert42

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 20, 2014
Worcestershire, UK
Yes, a larger volume can carry larger battery. Not sure what you’re trying to say here. The iPhone 7 is pretty tiny compared to most phones today. You want more battery, you get larger phone, quite simple I think. No point in complaining how a smaller phone have a smaller battery.
I'm saying that Apple made the iPhone 7 too small to have a decent battery. The 7 Plus is too big for my liking but I'd happily have gone for a 5% bigger iPhone to have the battery life.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I'm saying that Apple made the iPhone 7 too small to have a decent battery. The 7 Plus is too big for my liking but I'd happily have gone for a 5% bigger iPhone to have the battery life.

The XR and XS sound like they may have been a better choice.

Reactions: ssl0408

Bawstun

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
I have an iPhone 6s+ that is 3.5 years old. It's a launch weekend phone and the battery has never been replaced. In fact, the phone itself has never needed any service.

I've been using it as a primary phone this entire time and I can get through a day (still) with about 70% of battery left when I go to bed. Again, this is on a 3.5 year old battery.

I have a Pixel 3a XL now. Two months old. It drains battery at a faster rate than my iPhone 6s+ does and I am not doing anything more with it than I did with my 6s+. In fact, I'd argue I am doing less on my Pixel.

I'm not so confident about how my Pixel's battery will hold up.

And one last thing…heat is a big factor on battery life. Yet I drive around Phoenix in the summer heat (above 100º F) in a car that has no A/C and windows that can not be rolled down. My 6s+ with a 3.5 year old battery still performs.

There is absolutely no way you get through a day with a 3 year old iPhone 6S+ with 70% battery remaining, unless you don’t use your device and it sits idly in your pocket for most of the day. Just no way. One hour of usage on iOS 12 takes an iPhone 6S+ down at least 10-15% if not more.

Reactions: Aydy

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Has nothing to do with Apple. It's the fact that people live on their phones.
I don't live on my phone and can get 7 days life, 10 - 12 if battery savings options are turned on.
I've forgone the iPhone in favor of iPad and Kindle (e-ink) and I still get 3 days max standby time on my iPhone 7. That's with practically 0 screen time on the phone. Granted, with Tile Tracker and poor cellular signal, the radios on my phone do get quite a bit of workout. Mind, the situation with the iPhone 7 is actually much improved over the iPhone 6 which absolutely needed nightly charging (and even lunchtime charging later in its life).

That said, there's still no getting around physics. Bigger battery and/or lower power consumption = longer battery life. Battery life is probably my most favorite thing on the iPad (and Kindle for that matter).

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
There is absolutely no way you get through a day with a 3 year old iPhone 6S+ with 70% battery remaining, unless you don’t use your device and it sits idly in your pocket for most of the day. Just no way. One hour of usage on iOS 12 takes an iPhone 6S+ down at least 10-15% if not more.
1. My 6s+ is on iOS 9.0.2

2. I use(d) my iPhone for calls, texts, emails and light web browsing. Between work and home I have access to multiple computers (including my work MBP which travels with me) 24/7, so I'm not using my phone to play games, watch TV or stream video. I love the size of my phones, but I have a 55" TV at home and I'm not going to watch stuff on my dinky sized phone when I can watch on a 55" TV.

Now, I will give you two things. At work I have a USB hub and if I stream music then I will plug the phone in. I also take my iPad with me (6th Gen) and that's what I use to watch video/TV when away from home. It's got a larger screen.

But…it's entirely possible to get the battery life I do if you do not assume that I use my phone like you do, or like a lot of people do.

Reactions: JBGoode and Bawstun

Bawstun

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
1. My 6s+ is on iOS 9.0.2

2. I use(d) my iPhone for calls, texts, emails and light web browsing. Between work and home I have access to multiple computers (including my work MBP which travels with me) 24/7, so I'm not using my phone to play games, watch TV or stream video. I love the size of my phones, but I have a 55" TV at home and I'm not going to watch stuff on my dinky sized phone when I can watch on a 55" TV.

Now, I will give you two things. At work I have a USB hub and if I stream music then I will plug the phone in. I also take my iPad with me (6th Gen) and that's what I use to watch video/TV when away from home. It's got a larger screen.

But…it's entirely possible to get the battery life I do if you do not assume that I use my phone like you do, or like a lot of people do.

iOS 9 says it all. The difference between iOS 11 and iOS 12 alone is massive, nevermind keeping it on the original iOS version the phone was designed for. I remember my 6S+ on earlier iOS versions as well and I could go 1-2.5 DAYS without needing a charge, and by “needing” I mean in the middle of day 2 I might be down to 25%-30-%. I’m below that every single day now just in 10 hours on iOS 12. Part of Apple’s planned obsolescence program to get users to upgrade I suppose.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
iOS 9 says it all. The difference between iOS 11 and iOS 12 alone is massive, nevermind keeping it on the original iOS version the phone was designed for. I remember my 6S+ on earlier iOS versions as well and I could go 1-2.5 DAYS without needing a charge, and by “needing” I mean in the middle of day 2 I might be down to 25%-30-%. I’m below that every single day now just in 10 hours on iOS 12. Part of Apple’s planned obsolescence program to get users to upgrade I suppose.
My iPhone came with iOS 9. I updated to 9.0.1 a few days later and 9.0.2 shortly after that.

Then the Pangu 9 jailbreak dropped in October 2015 and 9.0.2 is where my iPhone stays. My wife's 6s is still on 9.0.1.

Apple hasn't offered me any feature or function that I've wanted since iOS 6 so upgrading, particularly in light of remaining jailbroken, has never been much of a thing to me. The stock apps do what I need and if I can't get anything done with older versions of third party apps (which I still use) then I have an iPad on iOS 12.1.2 and an iPhone 5 on iOS 10.3.3 to use.

My iPhone 4s is actually more up to date than my 6s+ as it's running iOS 9.3.5.

Yeah, I missed the whole battery throttling thing because, well, iOS 9. :)

Reactions: Bawstun
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.