Why can't AT&T be more like TMO

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by coolweirdo, Dec 1, 2013.

1. coolweirdo macrumors regular

coolweirdo

let me tell you I'm stuck in a rock in a hard place!! I've been a ATT customer for a few years now and I'm kinda tired of paying MORE for LESS service
    don't get me wrong att service is good but that monthly bill is well over a $100 a month so i decided to try Tmo out

T-MOBILE VS AT&T

UNLIMITED TALK VS 700 MIN
    2.5GB DATA (HOTSPOT INCLUDED) VS UNLIMITED DATA
    INTERNATIONAL TALK,TEXT,DATA VS NO INTERNATIONAL PLAN

$78 (A MONTH) VS $112 (A MONTH)

SUMMARY: Tmo coverage is inconsistent,and can be unreliable sometime very spotty but can get the job done KINDA..

ATT has a very strong coverage but is very expensive,i mention to a rep about tmo having cheaper rates but att boast an bragged about the service being more stable so with that said they will not budge on competing with tmo

what do i do??

need your help my macrumors family

2. nickprete11 macrumors regular

If I were you, I'd stick with T-Mobile. You get a better plan and a cheaper price. While the network might not be as consistent, it's still nationwide for the most part and growing everyday. T-Mobile is the carrier to be on right now, and is the way wireless should be done. I just switched my family over from AT&T. Never looking back. T-Mobile seems to be fantastic in my area. Good luck!

3. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

I'd say it sounds like you get what you pay for. $34 / mo. is nothing to sneeze at, $78 is too much for poor service. I'd head back to AT&T.

Thanks for posting your experiences. I'm sure a lot of folks think about doing these sorts of things.

4. blarivee macrumors 6502

It really depends. If you travel internationally a lot then T-Mobile may make sense. Then again, in Europe you can get really cheap SIM only plans. Another thing to consider is AT&T unlimited data has gone the way of dodo birds. Make 100% sure you are willing to give that up. A lot of people regretted giving up their unlimited data for cheaper plans. I know they throttle after 5GB but at least you won't get hit with surprise overage charges.

5. rohitp macrumors regular

rohitp

TMo is great in major metro areas. I'm in Austin and no issues at all. Use my 4S and get good high-speed data all over.

The only issue arises when I'm driving between cities... cell phone coverage is good buy I often drop to Edge on data. I can deal with that but it is a consideration depending on your needs.

Their customer service had been really good for me - been with them since they were VoiceStream. Had Sprint prior to that. Simply cannot beat the price.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I'd give AT&T a call again and ask to speak to the retentions department.
    Tell them what you said above and the price comparisons and that you're thinking about switching away from them. Tell them you cant afford the high bill and are willing to make some compromises on coverage to make ends meet. Ask what they can do for you and if they can match it or credit your account.
    Many times they will give a discount for $20-30 off per month for the next 6 months or a certain amount of credit towards future bill or something like that.
    Cant hurt to try, if you've been with them for a while and paid on time they will do something to keep you usually.

7. thehustleman macrumors 65816

I wish AT&T would be like t-mobile in terms of pricing but not service!

Here in Atlanta t-mobile SUCKS!

I have it, but I'm only paying 30 a month for 2.5gb data and unlimited text and talk through my job.

The regular price is 40.

If it weren't so cheap I'd switch

8. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Be honest to yourself, how much monthly data you use average. Do you REALLY require fast data or it just a bragging right?

Because pre-paid AT&T MVNOs can be real cheap and you are still on AT&T towers for reliability.

9. aneftp macrumors 68040

Let's leave taxes.

Tmobile: $60 a month
    Att (450 min) ($40) (with rollover plus any mobile) with $20 unlimited texting) plus 3gb data ($30) equals $90/month.

Now factor in the up to $450 subsidy ATT gives. That comes out to about $19/month.

$90-19 equals $71 for ATT.

So for most people it really costs $71/month if u factor in subsidy for att.

Vs tmobile $60/month.

10. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

Coverage is EVERYTHING!

T-Mo does not have it!

A phone with "no service" is a horrible waste!

11. ABC5S macrumors 68040

T-Mobil Vs Verizon here in Dunedin, Florida

T-Mobil....

$60 per month
    unlimited txt
    unlimited talk
    2.5 GB of data

Verizon ...

$60 per month (Loyalty Plan)
    unlimited txt
    unlimited talk
    2 GB of data

What made me switch back to Verizon after just a few hours with T-Mobil was the very slow data service. Got "Edge" or No coverage, or when it did give me 3G or 4G it was temporally, as in a few seconds. Sound quality was poor as well. Until T-Mobil for my area really improves, Verizon is my Carrier. Not expensive for my data/call plan above. :D

12. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

But realistically you can't factor in that subsidy because most people will/do not. On a monthly basis you are paying less for another carrier.

I hope that this does work. AT&T was quite happy to watch a 12-year customer (longer if you consider shared plans) walk out the door who was never late, not even once, rolled over 70% of unused minutes monthly and used less than 3 GB of data a month, most months it was less than 2 GB. I was a model customer who was also on auto-draft and never once had to battle anything out with them. Did what I was supposed to when traveling overseas, never begged or tried to get a new phone before my contract allowed, and basically was just some customer who paid their bill.

They opened that door for me and let me walk. The conversations leading up to my cancellation were surrounding calls dropping. It was my fault, clearly I was doing something wrong and/or I needed to buy another phone instead of the iPhone, they said. What they did not say but basically didn't need to was I was one customer who was leaving and they just signed up 12 more. There was no need for them to retain me. Of course, this was a year before the iPhone hit Verizon so that may have been their attitude back then.

I've thought about returning to AT&T but I'm left with the memory of them claiming dropped calls were actually my fault and that I had the audacity to actually look to them for help. I even asked for their microcell as I noticed many were getting them for free then selling them off and they told me they will send me one, once I handed over my credit card and was charged for it.

I am on VZW but considering TMO. I do pay $97 a month for unlimited data, unlimited text and 450 minutes. I find that to be slightly too much when I look at TMO plans. In an effort to test TMO recently I placed an order for a phone and the nightmare of trying to re-order began. Although I reached out on twitter, I had to resolve the issue myself when the e-mail they asked me to send was never responded to. My first experience with them was a headache but if coverage is good I am willing to re-think the move from VZW to TMO.

13. CEmajr macrumors 601

AT&T charges more for that reason because they have better coverage. If Tmobile doesn't have good coverage in your area then unfortunately you are stuck with AT&T or Verizon paying their very high prices. The Big 2 are so big that they don't have to compete on price for now. So if you or anyone else leaves they really couldn't care less.

Luckily for me they work great in my area. I have the unlimited data plan for $70 and use around 11GB this cycle. My bill would be ridiculous on AT&T or Verizon for that much data.

14. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

So TMO in Charlotte is great?
    I'm in Raleigh, big difference in locations no doubt, but still.

15. coolweirdo thread starter macrumors regular

coolweirdo

Even if AT&T offered the international talk text and data like tmobile that would help a lot but instead the offer $10 for 50 text messages to a international destination like seriously that is ridiculous

are there any good prepaid options with att to keep the good service and still be able to use my iPhone 5s

16. CEmajr macrumors 601

Yeah it's pretty solid all over the metro area. I used to have verizon and the LTE speeds on tmobile are actually higher. Probably due to the congestion of Verizon's network.

Like some others said above, you do lose LTE between cities. Going up 85 towards Greensboro, I drop to Edge just north of Salisbury and don't LTE back until High Point. Voice and text are always fine though so it works out for me.

17. carlgo macrumors 68000

Look into Consumer Cellular. You have to bring your own smartphone in, but you get ATT towers, very reasonable non-contract plans and US support (!).

I think this company is an unknown gem. Mostly this is because it caters to AARP with its big-buttoned simple phones, but you can bring in an ATT iPhone and they send you a free sim and all is well.

Got great reception, same as my ATT, all through CA (where I was anyway).

18. fedecape macrumors 6502

fedecape

Difference of 34 dollars per month. Not a few cents, but come on.. If that is a concern for you, then you have bigger problems.

If AT&T was better and enough for you, I'd personally head back.

19. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

You get what you pay for. Just because TMobile (and Sprint) are cheaper doesn't mean that they are better.

If you want primarily EDGE/GPRS data with pockets of spotty LTE/HSPA, then go to TMobile and save yourself some money.

But if you want reliable coverage with LTE/HSPA (or EVDO) everywhere, then stick with AT&T (or VZW)

If you can deal with crappy coverage, by all means, go to TMobile. I actually travel all around the Northeast, so I need my phone to actually have working data when I need it.

20. JackieInCo macrumors 601

It's going to depend on coverage. Here in Denver, T-Mobile has AT&T beat in terms of coverage and speed.

There are several areas including my house where I do not het LTE on AT&T and when I do get LTE here in Denver, it tops out at just over 10Mbps.

T-Mobile tops out at 41Mbps and I get it at my house. There is one area near me where I get edge only but I drive through there and so it's not a problem.

21. Col Ronson macrumors 6502a

Tmobile has great urban coverage, but its rural coverage is garbage. If you spend most of your time in civilization, you should be okay.

Honestly, for me to save $50-$60 on a comparable ATT plan just to have 4G on the highway, its not worth it for me. Ironically i live in a city where Tmo has LTE coverage but ATT doesn't. Not to mention the free data/text roaming on Tmo. I do get what i pay for, $70, and tons of unlimited data when i want it. Most of the time its LTE too. Tmobile's HSPA+ is faster than ATT's too from the various speed tests i've run.

Nevermind that rootmetrics analysis show that Tmobile beating ATT in terms of signal strength and speed tests in 50% of the urban areas they tested. The old misconceptions of Tmobile are no longer true.

22. aneftp macrumors 68040

You do have to factor in the subsidies. There's a reason 60% of Americans are on family plans.

For each line that's added, the subsidies narrow the difference between prepaid/T-mobile plans.

Once you hit 4 lines. The difference between T-mobile and the post paid ATT/Verizon aren't great enough to entice people to switch over because ATT and Verizon tend to have better coverage (overall).

I'll had all 4 carriers. I've used both tmobile and ATT together. Now I use ATT and Verizon together.

Tmobile works very well in larger metro areas. I think they have outstanding call quality. Their data is very fast, even when I was using HSPA plus. Now Tmobile has LTE which is blazing fast. But once you get to smaller areas, you will drop to EDGE speeds fast.

23. coolweirdo thread starter macrumors regular

coolweirdo

is edge considered 2g??? and what are speeds like on edge

24. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, Edge is 2G.
    Speeds are very slow.
    About 100kbps.

25. thehustleman macrumors 65816

AKA still faster than sprint 3g LBVS

And yes, edge is 2g, just a faster version of it, just like how HSPA+ is really 3G,but a faster version.