Why can't I install Snow Leopard / Boot from disc?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SPNarwhal, Apr 30, 2011.

1. SPNarwhal macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

I thought maybe something was corrupt or something in my original leopard set-up. (I just bought a new computer) and so I used the original installation discs and completely wiped the harddrive and did a fresh install of Leopard.

Then restored my old files from my other laptop backup (which my other laptop works fine, and has snow leopard on it.)

anyway, when I put the Snow Leopard disc in the new laptop, when I restart and hold C (or option and pick the disc) then it shows the Apple logo forever, and won't go to the disc. Just shows the Apple logo until I force shut down and restart.

If I select the disc while logged on normally, when it gets to the point of restarting the computer to install itself, it does the same thing.

What is wrong?
    My other laptop will open this on start-up with no problem.
    What is going on?

2. thurstmw macrumors newbie

Are you using a retail SL disk? They wont work on new MBPs because they need drivers that are not included. But usually they boot and tell you that you cant install from it. I am kinda confused what disk you are trying to use.

3. SPNarwhal thread starter macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

Yes, it's the retail Snow Leopard disc, but this isn't a new computer, just new to me. I just bought it from the Marketplace here, it's a Mid-2010 model. Which is actually what my other laptop is, so this shouldn't be a problem as far as I know.

4. thurstmw macrumors newbie

Im not sure then. I would try downloading a SL copy (not strictly legal) putting it on a USB drive and boot from that.

5. SPNarwhal thread starter macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

I don't think it should be that much of a hassle.
    I'll just make an appointment and bring it into Apple and see if there's something wrong with it, because this is just weird and I don't think there's any reason for it.