Why can't I justify buying a Mac?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by motoleo, Jan 27, 2012.

1. motoleo macrumors 6502a

motoleo

As much as I like Apple, I've never been able to commit. Going all the way and becoming all-Apple.

I like diversity in my technology but I do need a new laptop- and the MacBook Pro appears to be the cutting edge.

From its design to its software, it's all around perfectly manicured. The only thing stopping me from buying one is that it isn't Windows.

I feel like I would be losing a lot and setting myself back if I get a Mac.

2. pscraig macrumors member

You're going to get a lot of interesting answers.

Since you're on a Mac forum I can assure you most of us don't feel that way, and would indeed feel the same about going to Windows. It is a vastly different way of doing things, but we all get the same work done at the end of the day. Over time you'll realize things are just in different places and you figure it out quickly.

You also don't have to jump in all at once-you can get virtualization software and run Windows. I use VMware Fusion and run Windows XP for a couple of Windows-only applications for work, but do everything else in Mac OS. That was about $150 extra, but I had no choice.

3. trikky macrumors regular

The only thing stopping me from getting a PC again is that it is Windows....

4. thundersteele macrumors 68030

While I can't understand it, if you want windows, there are two solutions:
    - bootcamp you mac and install Windows - solid hardware and your favorite OS
    - buy something else - there are a number of decent windows laptops available once you look beyond the cheap crap that is being displayed in most stores

5. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Also, if you have a Windows 7 install disc, you can use bootcamp to install Win7 on the MacBook. Then just boot into that every time. You'll get the hardware you want with the OS you want. You're probably gonna get flamed since this is a site for Apple enthusiasts, but don't let that bother you. I understand the need for diversity in technology. Everything has its strengths and weaknesses. That's the reason I have a Windows Phone 7.5 Mango device and not an iPhone (although I still have my old 3GS).

6. Mikesus macrumors 6502

Ok, as someone that recently ditched my Quad Core i7 18.5" Toshiba, I think I am qualified to speak to this.

cutting edge - yes and no. Apple does not use latest and greatest, but there is a good reason. Latest and greatest isn't always best. Is the c2d old? Yup, but it did really well in the MBP. (Yes I know we are at i series now, I am typing on one, but it took a bit for them to get it right i.e. battery, video etc)

It isn't windows - well true, but it can be. Load Parallels on it or partition for boot camp, and you now have the best of both worlds. I use Windows for work and so does the wife. Nothing like swiping away the windows os an doing stuff in OSX and switching back. Its literally like having 2 computers.

Losing a lot - probably not. If you have windows software, it will run in parallels. I can say tho, other than work I don't even touch the windows side...

To me not having to deal with the constant battle of antivirus, updates etc, it was a really freeing experience to just use my laptop, rather than maintaining it all the time.

My Toshiba was leading edge, but was like owning an English sports car (complete with the painful maintenance required.) My MBP 15" i7 is like owning a Ferrari, with the maintenance of a Chevy.

7. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

OS X is a really nice operating system once you give it a chance. And I prefer the look and feel of its apps.

One work-related app only runs on Windows with no mac equivalent, so when I need to use that I run Windows 7 in VMWare Fusion. Other than that, I've long since replaced all my Windows apps with mac equivalents.

You can always dual-boot, but I think in time you'll prefer OS X like most of us here.

8. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

It just depends on what you need it for.

I see it as an investment for what I do. I could do whatever I do on a Mac on an HP laptop. But for one, Windows is a fisher price operating system (GUI wise) for me. It is a good and mature OS, but it is still Windows.

If I ONLY had a choice to use Windows, I wouldn't mind.

Now, Mac's are a bit more expensive, but not so much more if you compare spec to spec. You are paying for good hardware, an exceptional IPS display, etc. etc. All of these items are comparable to Windows counterparts...however, every manufacturer that I've come across, including higher end Vaio's, etc. seem like they were built by monkeys.

As a designer, I can't really help but to stick with Macs. It's just a part of me. However, I don't let it define me at all. I define IT. It does what it does everyday.

I've had my fair share of issues with Macs throughout the years. I just like Apple hardware (sans iPads, etc...couldn't care less for them).

As Apple moves forward, hopefully they don't forget their desktop publishing and design clients, albeit a small group of users, were the most loyal since the beginning.

SO in short, it comes down to how much $$$ you want to spend. I am sure you will really enjoy the Apple experience once you begin your first journey into the Macs. Ask yourself...would you rather pay a bit more and have a device that will last longer and keep its value? Think of investing into a high quality TV. Would you buy a crappy Vizio or a Sony/Samsung/Sharp LED display? This is not the best comparison, but close enough. I always think that if I am investing in something, I want it to last for a while and give something back to me. I don't mind spending a bit more on it means that quality increases and helps me do what I need to do on a daily basis.

Also, if I could live without computers, I wouldn't mind that. I am tired of them. Maybe I should become a monk.

9. RC85 macrumors member

RC85

I can't find much about Windows that sways me to prefer it. I used to game on it, but now Xbox 360.

I have an AMD quad core tower that I build 2 years ago and upgraded last year. I only use it as a server for my media storage and the occasional MIcrosoft FSX.

Since my first MBP in late 2009, the thought of buying a Windows based notebook really hasn't crossed my mind.

10. torana355 macrumors 68020

People fear change so it is hard for people to move away from what they are used too. I was a massive PC guy who hated using macs at school back in the OS9 days but when i got into the graphic prepress industry and was forced to learn Macs i soon saw the light.

Now you won't catch me near a PC, i only use windows 7 through duel boot occasionally and on a few machines at work. There is basically an OSX equivalent for 99% of programs. Factor in having no viruses or malware, the simple yet elegant design Apple has with their products, great resale value and the excellent customer service and you have a winner imo.

11. zigzagg321 macrumors 6502

Bootcamp, have the best of both worlds.

12. MrBullet macrumors member

You want the specifications, the aesthetics and the build quality of a MacBook Pro but don't want to leave Windows.

Then simply purchase yourself a Win7 installation disk and run Bootcamp or use the other suggested software such as Parallels.

You won't be disappointed in OS X and might find after a while, you'll ditch Bootcamp and use OS X 100% of the time.

13. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Then don't buy one. How is this a difficult decision? Buying Apple hardware to run Windows is a huge waste of money.

14. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Really not that difficult a decision if you can't bring yourself to buy one then...don't buy one.

Easy as pie.

15. maflynn, Jan 28, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2012

maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Simple, don't buy one, its your money you need to get what fits your needs, if that is not a mac, move on

16. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

You have to do what is right for you. I'll speak for myself and say that buying a Mac was the best computer purchase decision I ever made. I started with a MBP in 2006 and now have two additional iMac's.

I still use Windows at the office, but enjoy OS X when I get home.

Regardless of that, you need to get whichever computer best fit's your needs, wants, wishes and wallet.

Maybe that isn't a Mac, or even Windows. Perhaps a Dell with Linux is more for you. I don't know, only you know.

Good luck! :)

17. Rhyalus macrumors 6502

Rhyalus

I am a Windows 7 PC lover. I have a killer tower, *2* 17" i7820QM laptops (one from Clevo and one from HP) and a netbook for the kids.

But if something happened to my 13" MBP tomorrow, I would buy another one the same day.

It is the perfect mobile business platform. There is no PC that I have found that comes close.

I almost never have a problem with the OS, it is snappy and does what I want - when I want - for many hours without being plugged in. I can't game on it (period - don't you fanboys tell me otherwise), and the design is awful (almost illegally bad) for heat dissipation, but otherwise, it is a great investment.

R

18. RC85 macrumors member

RC85

I am the same way, love my Windows Tower, but prefer my everyday computer to be my MBP. I find the lack of a solid swiping ability for any Windows based trackpad to be the most frustrating part of going back to Windows. Ya don't realize how much you get use to the ease of navigating your OS via the trackpad/magic mouse and keyboard. Going back feels odd... lol

To "motoleo", IDK how much experience you have with the OSX, if any, but I wasn't an Apple fan until mid 2009 when I bought my previous MBP, then I fell in love with how much more user friendly OSX is.

19. motoleo thread starter macrumors 6502a

motoleo

If I bought a Mac to put Windows on it, I'd feel like I've defeated the purpose of buying a Mac.

I want to enjoy Mac's OS for what it is, polished and sophisticated, there's lots of media design type applications.

Do people that use Macs feel confined in any way?

20. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I don't feel confined in any way whatsoever. Everything I did on Windows, I can do on OS X.

I do have Windows XP BootCamped on my main iMac and that is so I can play some really old games that I like. Quake III Arena and Half Life 1 Deathmatch.

You're not defeating the purpose of buying a Mac by putting Windows on it, unless you spend a geat deal more time in Windows than OS X.

21. waynep macrumors 6502

I bought my first Mac a year ago. I have been a Win/Dos user since the 80's. I still have my Win desktop machine but it mainly is used for recording TV shows. My Macbook Pro is my primary computer.

I don't feel confined at all. I can do everything on my Mac that I could do on Windows. I mainly do email, Office type docs, iTunes, Web browsing. I am also learning IOS and Android app development.

You should consider what you do on your Windows machine and if those things could all be done on a Mac.

I do have two small apps that are Win only that I need to use. One is PAF (personal ancestry file). I have not bothered to find a Mac app yet but they are out there. The other is a Ham Radio practice test program. Once I pass the test, I'll not need it. To accommodate those, I run a copy of Windows in a VirtualBox virtual machine.

So you can run everything possible on a Mac then if you find something that you can't do on a Mac, then run a Win virtual machine for that.

One thing I learned about using the Macbook Pro over that last year. Apple does things well, they think about the little things. The magnetic power connector. It has saved my MBP from hitting the floor by easily disconnecting. The trackpad is amazing. It's large and with the gestures, I don't need a mouse. Just the two finger scrolling is worth some more money that a cheap Win laptop. I don't know why other companies have not done this before. It seems so obvious. The tiny trackpad on my Win laptop (work machine) seems ridiculously small.

In the end, a year later, I am happy with the switch and have zero regrets about moving to a Mac from my Win machine.

wayne

22. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

i used windows for 20 years before going to mac and i dont miss windows i actually dislike windows now when i use it at work

23. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

Reading your original thread post and this one, it appears that you are apprehensive about taking the first step. When I switched back in 2002, I used to enjoy tweaking and building my own PC's. I was worried that I would be limited by the lack of software available for the Mac and that I would regret the decision.

That was before Apple switched to Intel processors and Parallels became available that means that you can have a safety net of running Windows as well, while you make the transition. I never regretted the decision, even at that time I found Mac software to do everything I wanted. Rather than be limited, I found I was being even more productive using great Mac software than I ever was using Windows. This forum is a great place to get advice if you get stuck.

So make the jump, we will be here to catch you, I doubt that you will regret it.

24. ystradgynlais macrumors newbie

Came back to Mac in 2009. Initially, I set up a windows partition.I probably used windows about once or twice a week for the first six months. As i got used to the Mac OS i just stopped using the Windows partition. I now have a late 2011 Macbook pro and I didn't bother creating a windows partition. I use Windows 7 in work and everyday I am frustrated that I can't do the things that are so easy in Lion.

25. torana355 macrumors 68020

No, actually quite the opposite. I feel more productive on my mac then i ever did in Windows. There is always someone that will be able to help you achieve whatever you could do on a pc. Ive been mucking around with geektool for the last few hours which is something i would never have attempted on a pc as there is so much help and pre-made scripts on the net for it because its a mac app.